Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

As someone that doesn't get that upset about perceived media slights I was also struck by how contemptuous Levine sounded on a radio update this morning (or a replay of his update).

There is a weird tendency in baseball media types right now to both moan endlessly about how many teams are tearing it down while also ridiculing any team that adds on when it doesn't align perfectly.

I was very surprised at his contempt, he usually is somewhat subtle about it.   He acts like the cubs were coming off a huge year when they went out and added Jon Lester in 2015

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bruce did his spot on the score and he is adamant that Boras is waiting on the cubs, and made his case that what do the Sox really have to offer at the major league level.  

And this steers me from "Sox were using Levine to strategically plant rumors" to "Levine is getting miffed people are talking about the Sox and not his beloveds."

49 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think its correct to say though, that if he signs with the Cubs, it will be at a discount.  If the reports are true that he is waiting for the Cubs, we know he would like to play for them, it will depend on the creativity of the discount.

It would be a "discount" in the same way LeBron took a discount to go to Miami. He took something like $5 or $10 mil less over the course of the entire contract, and the media jerked him off incessantly for his dedication to winning over money. Also very similar to the media narrative that Heyward took so much less money to go to the Cubs. His deal was less back-loaded and usual, but his salaries the first 3 years were in line with what other teams were offering. His plan was to tear things up in Wrigley and hit the market again in 3 years after an opt-out. Reasonable people knew the Cubs weren't really getting a discount, and the only way they would get him for the entire contract is if he was horrible or injured. Luckily for the Cubs, he has been horrible so he didn't opt out and they will keep him at the "discounted rate."

So, Harper might "settle" for like $320 million from the Cubs, but he isn't going to go there for nothing just to play with his friend who is a strong possibility to leave in 3 years.

Edited by Roughneck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Admittedly, I didn't hear it but people on twitter are saying Bruce Levine doubled down this morning and said the Sox wont get either but the Cubs will get Harper and can easily trade Heyward. Did anyone catch that?

I doubted that Hayward could be easily moved coming into the winter, but after seeing the Dodgers easily move horrible contracts, my mind has been changed.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I doubted that Hayward could be easily moved coming into the winter, but after seeing the Dodgers easily move horrible contracts, my mind has been changed.

Theirs did not have near the years that Heyward has, and Kemp was actually terrific last year.

• Like 1

Just now, macsandz said:

Internally the club is feeling very good about where things stand with Bryce. 

The Cubs are not a factor right now don't believe the media garbage. 

I would like you to elaborate please.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What horrible contracts did they move other than Matt Kemp?  And for that, they had to take an even worse contract.

4 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Internally the club is feeling very good about where things stand with Bryce. 

The Cubs are not a factor right now don't believe the media garbage. 

First we've heard in a while that the Sox were confident about Harper.  I like hearing that the Cubs are not a factor...right now at least.

4 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Can't do it. Resourceful members can figure out where I'm coming from. 

No worries, did not realize who you were, when we moved boards a lot of people reverted to their original screen names. Let me know if you want it changed to bucket.

Thanks for info dude.

It's so funny how loss averse i am with this. You don't want either to sign first away from sox because it will feel desperate, but originally I wanted harper, then we get alonso and I wanted machado, but now hearing we are still in on harper makes me revert back to wanting harper.

Really just want one. They are both good. But I can't spend attention on both it seems :)

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's so funny how loss averse i am with this. You don't want either to sign first away from sox because it will feel desperate, but originally I wanted harper, then we get alonso and I wanted machado, but now hearing we are still in on harper makes me revert back to wanting harper.

Really just want one. They are both good. But I can't spend attention on both it seems :)

I think Machado is the better player and a position of need for the Sox, Harper is the bigger get. No better way to step out of the shadows than to land the current face of baseball. Machado gets fans excited, but landing Harper and having a White Sox player on video game covers and be the leading vote-getter in the ASG for the next 8 years or so is on a different level.

I'd be happy with either guy. I think the Sox jump at whoever goes for them first, obviously. But they could sign both! Both of these guys are getting opt-out clauses. At least one of them would be gone by the time they have to start paying their current youngsters. The only way it backfires is if they both turn into Heyward. I'd roll the dice if I were the Sox, but then again, I'm a dope who isn't in a position to spend $700 million.