Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

This goes against how I usually feel, but for some reason this being leaked makes me feel better about their chances.

Let’s be honest here.  If we know the Nats offered Bryce 10/$300M, there is no way in hell the Sox think a 7 year deal is going to cut it.  More importantly, there is no benefit of leaking this and then not landing one of these guys.  The Sox fanbase would revolt in anger if we half-assed pursuits of these guys.  That tells me the Sox are optimistic about their chances of landing one of them and are leaking their offer won’t be 10 years in hopes of preventing the Phillies from doing something crazy.

• Like 2

I'm realizing that there is one reason the Sox would leak this: there are no other competitive offers and the Sox know it. Seven years might just be the most out there. I'd wager that this was leaked because Harper is talking to the Nats, and the Sox want it known that no one else is going over 7 years. I think the Nationals were the only team offering 10, and when it came out that Harper went back to the Nationals, the Sox leaked this. Sox contract average salary might be higher than $30M.

The Sox may also want it known that this is their best and final. I suspect it is beyond other team's offers because fans would be pissed if it turns out the Sox were well short of a competitive offer. Which we are already seeing here.

Of course, the leak may have come from Boras, which would change things. But he wouldn't want that known.

Edited by G&T

There are two options here:

1. This report is bullshit. 

2. There is truth to this report. 

I would hope 1 is true. If 2 is true, then the rebuild is doomed because that would mean that when Hahn said the money would be there when the time comes, he was talking out of his ass, and was lying to the fanbase. If that is the case, the Sox are completely fucked because JR has just morphed into Bill Wirtz. Might as well pack up the moving vans. If one team in town is willing to spend to win when it makes sense, and the other isn't, then why would anyone without a current allegiance go to the games or follow the team? If there is any truth to this, that is a really good way to alienate what is left of your fanbase. Who knows, maybe that is the whole point. Maybe they're trying to completely alienate the fanbase so that nobody gives a flying fuck when they pack up and leave town. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There are two options here:

1. This report is bullshit. 

2. There is truth to this report. 

I would hope 1 is true. If 2 is true, then the rebuild is doomed because that would mean that when Hahn said the money would be there when the time comes, he was talking out of his ass, and was lying to the fanbase. If that is the case, the Sox are completely fucked because JR has just morphed into Bill Wirtz. Might as well pack up the moving vans. If one team in town is willing to spend to win when it makes sense, and the other isn't, then why would anyone without a current allegiance go to the games or follow the team? If there is any truth to this, that is a really good way to alienate what is left of your fanbase. Who knows, maybe that is the whole point. Maybe they're trying to completely alienate the fanbase so that nobody gives a flying fuck when they pack up and leave town. 

Why would they leave Chicago though Portland is not a big market.

The offseason is just not fun anymore. 

When your team is one of the few in on some of the most exciting and celebrated free agents in history, it should be fun to follow. 

This is frustrating and old and I hate it. I don’t know if it’s social media that’s to blame, or another instance of teams and players finding “optimal” strategies that just happen to be worse and less fun for fans to following consume, but it sucks and i wish it would end. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 3