Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

I think Machado will sign relatively soon; he's got 3 suitors and it's unlikely that number changes.   None of the teams need to move players or anything like that...should be able to knock this out.

Harper, on the other hand, has 3 confirmed suitors but 3 or 4 possible more (Cubs, Dodgers, Cards, Yankees).  That should take longer to play out.

That Machado tour of Chicago, New York and Philadelphia reeks of a sham now. I would be surprised if a fourth team doesn't start being mentioned near the end of this week.

• Like 1

Just now, justBLAZE said:

Nothing but GUFF is on there figured he might clarify his comments/tweets.

They all predicted Manny to Yankees

None predicted Harper to Sox...of course Duber predicted Harper to Cubs because he makes me look like an optimistic Sox fan.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They all predicted Manny to Yankees

None predicted Harper to Sox...of course Duber predicted Harper to Cubs because he makes me look like an optimistic Sox fan.

What people don't realize is that insufferable pessimism is a natural defense mechanism to being optimistic, then being dissappointed repeatedly, like an abused puppy. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

please tell me I'm not the only one with deja vu today with the year limit when compared with the outfield hunt a few years ago when Nightengale said the Sox wouldn't go more than 3 for anyone?

This was when Hahn was playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers right? And then they didn’t sign any?

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

This was when Hahn was playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers right? And then they didn’t sign any?

This was the Samardzija/Melky/Robertson offseason. God I hope this isn't the same. There is no way the Sox can come out of this ahead short of landing one other than it being reported that they took significantly less money and years to sign elsewhere, and that isn't even a given. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This was the Samardzija/Melky/Robertson offseason. God I hope this isn't the same. There is no way the Sox can come out of this ahead short of landing one other than it being reported that they took significantly less money to sign elsewhere. 

The best (and short-term worst is) Harper signs with the Cubs for a number that destroys their franchise (eventually), taking away all financial flexibility and also raising the amount of money they have to charge subscribers for their new regional sports network to the point where nobody can afford it.

Even that wouldn't REALLY be felt for another 2-3 years, barring a major injury.

Epstein SHOULD have learned his lesson from the Red Sox years, but he's still making big mistakes on the FA market in Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The best (and short-term worst is) Harper signs with the Cubs for a number that destroys their franchise (eventually), taking away all financial flexibility and also raising the amount of money they have to charge subscribers for their new regional sports network to the point where nobody can afford it.

Even that wouldn't REALLY be felt for another 2-3 years, barring a major injury.

Epstein SHOULD have learned his lesson from the Red Sox years, but he's still making big mistakes on the FA market in Chicago.

I know Epstein is fucking up, it makes me laugh. He's going to handcuff them whether they get Harper or not. 

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

please tell me I'm not the only one with deja vu today with the year limit when compared with the outfield hunt a few years ago when Nightengale said the Sox wouldn't go more than 3 for anyone?

They're going to get a lot of requests for season ticket refunds (especially those who bought in the last 4-6 weeks) if that's the case (the 7 year limit, unless they're willing to go to over $40 million per year, which JR won't do)...would love to know what the net loss or gain from 2018 numbers is, you'd still have to think it is down another 10-15%, barring the results of the Harper and Machado negotiations leading to an eventual rise (especially if it's Harper).

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know Epstein is fucking up, it makes me laugh. He's going to handcuff them whether they get Harper or not. 

It’s going to be great soon.  That pitching staff alone was $130M last year and it’s about to get way older and way more expensive...right when the “core” of shitty position players is at the end of team control.  I wouldn’t sign there if I was a FA unless they guaranteed $300M+ payrolls

https://sports.yahoo.com/manny-machado-lingers-troy-tulowitzki-wont-know-awaits-bronx-205826913.html

Until Machado makes his choice (the Yankees were believed to be in the running, along with the Philadelphia Phillies and Chicago White Sox) or until the Yankees withdraw from the bidding on Machado, Tulowitzki, in a position to choose his perfect scenario, couldn’t know what awaits in the Bronx. He has told those close to him he would be agreeable to coming off shortstop for the right situation, and has also said he is not willing to become a utility player. If he is to assume a comeback, he’ll need at-bats, regular at-bats and a regular position. He may need his own backup, for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s going to be great soon.  That pitching staff alone was $130M last year and it’s about to get way older and way more expensive...right when the “core” of shitty position players is at the end of team control.  I wouldn’t sign there if I was a FA unless they guaranteed $300M+ payrolls

They might not even make the playoffs in 2019. That division is going to be a gauntlet. 

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

With Darvish and Chatwwod as bad as could be, with Morrow injured. With Bryant a shell of himself, the Cubs won 95 games. I thin k their demise is way overblown.

Just now, beckham15 said:

Yeah going back to work sucks, still trying to play catch up after the tulo signing, so obviously no Machado signing yet but do we have reason to hope still or is it just a matter of time before he’s a Yank

As long as you believe what Bruce Levine is reporting is an obvious White Sox fueled plant, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Yeah going back to work sucks, still trying to play catch up after the tulo signing, so obviously no Machado signing yet but do we have reason to hope still or is it just a matter of time before he’s a Yank

Yeah don't have any downtime to scroll through it during the day this week lol

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As long as you believe what Bruce Levine is reporting is an obvious White Sox fueled plant, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic.

What happened today was exactly what one might expect to happen if the White Sox were right in the middle of these things

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, you’ve found ways to be optimistic throughout this entire process. 

I think Machado is still possible. Harper isn’t signing with the White Sox, IMO.  

• Like 1