Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I hate the new thread title, I just glanced at the front page and saw 7/250 and it blended together with 'pending physica'l from the Jon Jay thread. It almost gave me a heart attack.

See you in court, soxtalk mods.

You unwittingly signed the medical waiver when you registered

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, peavy44 said:

So we sign manny for 8 years $270M. Do you go after harper or drop out.

For me you go after Harper too. It’s not my money so it’s easy to say. $270MM is less than most thought it would take anyway. 

Edited by EvilJester99

1 minute ago, peavy44 said:

So we sign manny for 8 years $270M. Do you go after harper or drop out.

Sox would still be in on Harper, although I feel we are much more of a longshot to sign him than Machado.

My gut says Harper ends up back with the Nationals 

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox would still be in on Harper, although I feel we are much more of a longshot to sign him than Machado.

My gut says Harper ends up back with the Nationals 

Why go back to Nats they not that good and what they going offer him $340M

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

WSD is a pretty reliable source

When he tweets the eyeballs something is up

Just because he was reliable in the past doesnt mean he knows this information. The Machado negotiation is in a different stratosphere of anything he has broken. Furthermore, he now is doing this full time, so there is pressure to get an audience. After the "Machado is at the Bears game" stunt, I just dont have any reason to trust him or the people on his podcast. Seeing as most people know that JR doesnt have a Bears suite.

I could be very wrong, but I just cant imagine that someone actually gave him the exact contract figure. Its also hard to believe that the Sox absolutely know they are the top offer.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How would he know if the White Sox were the high offer? 

What kind of negotiator would Machado's agent be if he told teams, well, right now you have the high bid?

They dont, the guy is just making it up.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would be so impressed if sox got this bid with anything 8/280 or less. That actually feels like a good contract, not even an overpay.

I said 8/275 yesterday, so I think 8/280 range is definitely possible.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

They dont, the guy is just making it up.

I said 8/275 yesterday, so I think 8/280 range is definitely possible.

To not have those two last years even with it more expensive upfront is such an advantage.

6 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

For me you go after Harper too. It’s not my money so it’s easy to say. $270MM is less than most thought it would take anyway. 

Sure, but Harper is already up over $300 million from his old team if you believe the latest reports.  We are probably talking $350 to $400 million to get him away from Washington.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sure, but Harper is already up over $300 million from his old team if you believe the latest reports.  We are probably talking $350 to $400 million to get him away from Washington.

You don't think white sox would pay that for harper.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

To not have those two last years even with it more expensive upfront is such an advantage.

Theres an argument both ways.

Is 10/300 really that much worse than 8/275?

Technically you could argue that the last 2 years is a 2/25 so thats not really bad. Id basically give him the option, because either would be fine if I was the Sox. 

No one has any idea what the Nats current offer to Harper is except Harper and his people and the Nats, and if there is some collusion going on, other MLB owners. No one knows where the Sox stand in their bid except Machado and his agent, and whoever he gives the information. 

There is so much BS out there, with a dash of truth. We won't know what is what until it's over.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Without Harper, sure.  But I don't see them committing somewhere between $600 and $700 million to two players.

If harper goes back to Nats that's ok as long as we get manny. If harper don't go to cubs or phillies I be ok with not getting harper.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

No one has any idea what the Nats current offer to Harper is except Harper and his people and the Nats, and if there is some collusion going on, other MLB owners. No one knows where the Sox stand in their bid except Machado and his agent, and whoever he gives the information. 

There is so much BS out there, with a dash of truth. We won't know what is what until it's over.

You don't believe random twitter accounts giving the details of these intense negotiations?!!?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres