Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No one has any idea what the Nats current offer to Harper is except Harper and his people and the Nats, and if there is some collusion going on, other MLB owners. No one knows where the Sox stand in their bid except Machado and his agent, and whoever he gives the information. 

I've seen a few comments saying that teams offers are kept secret even from other teams bidding, but why? Why would Machado and his agent want the teams bidding not to know what the offers are. If the teams know the highest offer then that will encourage the ones below that offer to top it with a higher number.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Because nobody cares what a bunch of east coast blowhards think 

Sox were reportedly "among the finalists" for Joe Kelly earlier in the offseason. Kelly signed with the Dodgers for 3/25 million.

Herrera must have been plan B?

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox don't land a big fish this year idk if they ever will. 

Not to remind everyone, but if we cannot land a big fish with tons of payroll flexibility and a limited pool of suitors it does not bode well for us down the line. 

We can downplay the necessity all we want, but the rebuild largely hinges on landing one of Machado/Harper. 

2 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

There’s an idea. Instead of posting on here every day you can bombard him with your insightful takes. Especially on the weekends. 

Now this is a post that deserves a +1.  Please spare us the stream of consciousness about what every national sports talking head thinks about the Sox and direct those feelings at them instead.  Please and thank you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not to remind everyone, but if we cannot land a big fish with tons of payroll flexibility and a limited pool of suitors it does not bode well for us down the line. 

We can downplay the necessity all we want, but the rebuild largely hinges on landing one of Machado/Harper. 

The worst optics possible would be either Harper or Machado rejecting an extra $30M to go play elsewhere. It would actually send the message that the media narrative about the Sox is 100% true. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The worst optics possible would be either Harper or Machado rejecting an extra $30M to go play elsewhere. It would actually send the message that the media narrative about the Sox is 100% true. 

The reasoning almost does not matter as much as if the Sox fail to land one of Harper/Machado they would have missed a golden opportunity to add a major piece to the rebuild that would only cost money. Payroll flexibility is something they have plenty of. 

I know the front office is trying, but coming up short is not really an option. 

Just now, steveno89 said:

The reasoning almost does not matter as much as if the Sox fail to land one of Harper/Machado they would have missed a golden opportunity to add a major piece to the rebuild that would only cost money. Payroll flexibility is something they have plenty of. 

I know the front office is trying, but coming up short is not really an option. 

The Sox FO can try all they want, but if Harper and Machado really aren't interested in the Sox, and are straight up using them for leverage, then they really can't do anything. Also, it would be a really good way to piss off the Sox FO as everyone knows the last time Boras pulled this bullshit with the Sox they completely cut off negotiations with his clients for a decade. I'm not sure the Sox can afford to do that this time around, as a lot of the top talent in the draft is represented by one of these two agents. 

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now this is a post that deserves a +1.  Please spare us the stream of consciousness about what every national sports talking head thinks about the Sox and direct those feelings at them instead.  Please and thank you.

I think "stream of unconsciousness" would be a more accurate way to describe whatever he posts

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox FO can try all they want, but if Harper and Machado really aren't interested in the Sox, and are straight up using them for leverage, then they really can't do anything. Also, it would be a really good way to piss off the Sox FO as everyone knows the last time Boras pulled this bullshit with the Sox they completely cut off negotiations with his clients for a decade. I'm not sure the Sox can afford to do that this time around, as a lot of the top talent in the draft is represented by one of these two agents. 

I do not feel that Harper is serious about signing with the White Sox based on gut feeling. I think he's going to a major market, or, most likely, back to the Nationals. 

Machado is in play.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is why I'm pessimistic about the Sox chances of landing one of Harper/Machado. Hope I'm wrong but I've been suspecting these guys would take less money to play for a legit contender. The White Sox are an ugly top tier free agent destination right now.

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I do not feel that Harper is serious about signing with the White Sox based on gut feeling. I think he's going to a major market, or, most likely, back to the Nationals. 

Machado is in play.

I don't think so either. Though if you would have asked me before the new year, I would have said Machado to the Jankees is a lock. I still have a hard time believing Machado would choose the White Sox over the Yankees. If the Yankees were actually not an option for Machado, I'd feel much more optimistic. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think so either. Though if you would have asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said Machado to the Jankees is a lock. I still have a hard time believing Machado would choose the White Sox over the Yankees. 

My thoughts are if the Yankees really wanted Harper/Machado they would have already signed one of them. The Yankees typically go out and get their guy.

Neither player is taking a substantial discount just to play in New York

• Like 1

Remember fellas, the Sox aren't stupid. They know what their odds truly are of signing these guys. We as fans aren't in the loop but teams have thousands of backchannels to get info. Hell, Jay and Alonso probably have given the Sox Intel on their chances since they know Machado well. Using teams as leverage happens, but that doesn't mean the player won't sign. 

For instance, if Manny is using us for leverage and the Yankees have a final offer significantly lower than ours, Manny may still sign here. I truly do not believe we signed Jay and brought in Alonso for nothing. We have a chance. If he was so hell bent on being a Yankee, and the Yankees really wanted him, the deal would be done already. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

My thoughts are if the Yankees really wanted Harper/Machado they would have already signed one of them. The Yankees typically go out and get their guy.

Neither player is taking a substantial discount just to play in New York

It depends on what you consider a substantial discount. As long as the discount is less than $40M, I'm not sure that I agree. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres