Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think so either. Though if you would have asked me a few weeks ago, I would have said Machado to the Jankees is a lock. I still have a hard time believing Machado would choose the White Sox over the Yankees. 

If Machado signs with the Sox and they continue to go after Harper doesn’t that show Harper the Sox are serious about winning now? A lineup with Machado, Jimenez, Abreu, and Harper isn’t a strong sell for him if the money is there? The pitching staff is still a work in progress, but if the $$$ is on the table  Harper really says “no?”

39 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I've seen a few comments saying that teams offers are kept secret even from other teams bidding, but why? Why would Machado and his agent want the teams bidding not to know what the offers are. If the teams know the highest offer then that will encourage the ones below that offer to top it with a higher number.

If teams discuss their offer with other teams it is collusion because they will keep the offers lower. The agents want to tell the team that "another team" offered more to drive the price up.

3 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If Machado signs with the Sox and they continue to go after Harper doesn’t that show Harper the Sox are serious about winning now? A lineup with Machado, Jimenez, Abreu, and Harper isn’t a strong sell for him if the money is there? The pitching staff is still a work in progress, but if the $$$ is on the table  Harper really says “no?”

No, it's not serious about winning now. We spent $13 million on Machado's friends because that was more important than winning now.

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Remember fellas, the Sox aren't stupid. They know what their odds truly are of signing these guys. We as fans aren't in the loop but teams have thousands of backchannels to get info. Hell, Jay and Alonso probably have given the Sox Intel on their chances since they know Machado well. Using teams as leverage happens, but that doesn't mean the player won't sign. 

For instance, if Manny is using us for leverage and the Yankees have a final offer significantly lower than ours, Manny may still sign here. I truly do not believe we signed Jay and brought in Alonso for nothing. We have a chance. If he was so hell bent on being a Yankee, and the Yankees really wanted him, the deal would be done already. 

This, thank you.  This is why I don't get caught up in or buy all of the "oh, the Yankees were his childhood favorite team" blah blah.  If that tie to his childhood was so important to him, the Yanks could have signed him up back in November.  As an adult, I am sure $$$>>>>childhood favorite team with the man.  

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, it's not serious about winning now. We spent $13 million on Machado's friends because that was more important than winning now.

If now means 2019, I don't think they would win even if both Machado and Harper sign. However, over the next couple of years as more prospects  show up they will. They will not contend in 2019 regardless. The signing of these players just speeds up the clock ala the Bears and Mack.

4 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Relax people. Sox are very likely gonna get this done. 

I wish I was anywhere near as confident about it as you are. 

If you know something the rest of us don't,  please tell us if you can without burning your source. 

Machado and Harper signing elsewhere seems as just as likely as Cody Parkey missing a GW FG to eliminate the Bears. It is the running joke nationally, and it comes to fruition. Everyone laugh at Chicago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, ptatc said:

If now means 2019, I don't think they would win even if both Machado and Harper sign. However, over the next couple of years as more prospects  show up they will. They will not contend in 2019 regardless. The signing of these players just speeds up the clock ala the Bears and Mack.

2020 is interesting with both of them, but 2020 is by definition not "now". As long as people keep saying that "winning now" is a thing that might matter, we have to point out that even if they signed both of them there's no plausible path to winning now (other than a whole lot of guys who stank last year rapidly developing. If the MVP race order goes 1 Moncada 2 Jiminez 3 Harper and the Cy Young race is 1 Giolito 2 Lopez, ok fine then we're going to win).

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wish I was anywhere near as confident about it as you are. 

If you know something the rest of us don't,  please tell us if you can without burning your source. 

Machado and Harper signing elsewhere seems as just as likely as Cody Parkey missing a GW FG to eliminate the Bears. It is the running joke nationally, and it comes to fruition. Everyone laugh at Chicago. 

That's bucket.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

2020 is interesting with both of them, but 2020 is by definition not "now". As long as people keep saying that "winning now" is a thing that might matter, we have to point out that even if they signed both of them there's no plausible path to winning now (other than a whole lot of guys who stank last year rapidly developing. If the MVP race order goes 1 Moncada 2 Jiminez 3 Harper and the Cy Young race is 1 Giolito 2 Lopez, ok fine then we're going to win).

I agree. Truly competing won't happen in 2019. 2020 is a possibility of one signs.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If we signed Harper and Machado this team contends for the division with another starter added. Harper, Machado, Moncada, Abreu, Eloy, and Alonso are good enough to win at least 85 with average pitching. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres