Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sure, but if it is close enough, that is where the problem lies. 

If there is a 5/175 offer from the Yankees, a 7/245 from the Sox and a 6/210 from the Phillies, who does he choose? The money is equal from an AAV standpoint on all three. 

This is the issue I believe is taking him so long, and based on what we've heard I'd imagine that these are pretty close to the actual offers from each team. 

In that exact scenario I would say that he chooses the White Sox.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Sir said:

OK, keep in mind this is coming from me, and I'm already getting shit for elevating Whitesnake and Journey to legend status, and will probably get more for saying that Toto and GnR are fucking great too, but a really awesome running song is Young Jeezy's Soul Survivor. That's the shit that speeds me up. If I'm not listening to Jimi, of course.

Yea I like that track.  Also reminds me of being in my young 20s in NYC.  Ah those were the days.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sure, but if it is close enough, that is where the problem lies. 

If there is a 5/175 offer from the Yankees, a 7/245 from the Sox and a 6/210 from the Phillies, who does he choose? The money is equal from an AAV standpoint on all three. 

This is the issue I believe is taking him so long, and based on what we've heard I'd imagine that these are pretty close to the actual offers from each team. 

The main reason that I think that he would choose the White Sox in this scenario is because of guaranteed money. He knows that he would be set until 33 making $35 million a year. Then he could probably get one more decent contract after that. Also, assuming the opt outs are all similar, it wouldn't really matter which offer he took but the Sox would provide the most security. 

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea I like that track.  Also reminds me of being in my young 20s in NYC.  Ah those were the days.

Based on that, I'm guessing we're about the same age. Age has a funny effect, doesn't it? When I joined the military, I could run my two mile requirement in close to the minimum, 13 minutes or so. These days, I don't feel fatter, and my knees aren't bad, but I'm sure as hell slower. I'm happy to break 16 minutes on my fitness test, and it doesn't improve no matter how much I run.

Maybe this looks very tangential. I guess it made sense to me because we were talking about Soul Survivor as a running track. I take pride in being an old man mentally, but becoming one physically kinda sucks.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

In this scenario, it depends on whether or not he wants to bet on himself to get one more huge contract. If he a) wants to play for the Yankees and b) believes in himself enough, I think he chooses the Yankees, because he'd be a FA again at age 31 and would get another massive contract. 

But the Sox could offer the 7-year, $245 million with an opt out after 4 years, making him a FA at the age of 30.

13 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I feel like there hasn't been a ton of smoke around Machado to NY in the last couple of days. I really think that the Yankees are standing pat with a 7-year offer at about $150 million to $200 million. 

However, the Sox and Phillies probably have offers at about 7-year, $200 million to 7-year, $250 million, and at this point, Machado is just trying to decide how much money it would truly take to not get him to sign with the Yankees. Is it $30 million, $40 million, $50 million...

I would go 8 years $280M and make that final offer for Machado.

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Based on that, I'm guessing we're about the same age. Age has a funny effect, doesn't it? When I joined the military, I could run my two mile requirement in close to the minimum, 13 minutes or so. These days, I don't feel fatter, and my knees aren't bad, but I'm sure as hell slower. I'm happy to break 16 minutes on my fitness test, and it doesn't improve no matter how much I run.

Maybe this looks very tangential. I guess it made sense to me because we were talking about Soul Survivor as a running track. I take pride in being an old man mentally, but becoming one physically kinda sucks.

I've been recommitted to fitness for about 4 years now after I had some knee issues so my mile times are pretty close to HS.  Although in college I could def bang out more mileage a week these days I constantly get minor strains and have to relax and switch to the bike or rowing machine.

Another thing I've noticed in my 30s is that recovery time is incredibly longer.  If I do a hard squat session now I'm sore for 2-4 days.  Foam rolling and nutrition helps but I def miss the days when I could train legs more than once a week.  

You get an appreciation as a weekend warrior for what the aging athletes go through as they hit 32 or so.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've been recommitted to fitness for about 4 years now after I had some knee issues so my mile times are pretty close to HS.  Although in college I could def bang out more mileage a week these days I constantly get minor strains and have to relax and switch to the bike or rowing machine.

Another thing I've noticed in my 30s is that recovery time is incredibly longer.  If I do a hard squat session now I'm sore for 2-4 days.  Foam rolling and nutrition helps but I def miss the days when I could train legs more than once a week.  

You get an appreciation as a weekend warrior for what the aging athletes go through as they hit 32 or so.

Wait until you hit 50s.  Its alternating running and lifting in order to recover. Definitely only one day per week per muscle group.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yep. That's pretty much how it goes. I wasn't always a weekend warrior (used to be active duty), but that probably has a lot to do with it too. Even if I try to work out now as much as I did then, I'm probably not capable of working myself as hard as I did when I had some professional asshole screaming at me and calling me a pussy for sweating too much, every single day. That's motivational in its own little way, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I drive by it throughout the summer. Too scared to stop though.

Whoa, did some Google Maps snooping around Toto. That's a podunk ass town even by Texas standards.

Although Doole probably beats it still. I've driven through Doole a couple of times. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre bad. Doesn't help that there's a bunch of run down, pretty much destroyed houses, and then one house that's rather well kept and somewhat distant from the main road. I suppose they ate everybody else. Creepy as fuck.

Edited by The Sir

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres