Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do agents tell straight-up specific lies, or is it more general posturing?

For example, if we have an offer of 7 for $250 on the table, would Lozano try to get us to increase the offer by saying something like, "Philadelphia has an offer on the table of 7 years for $280. You guys willing to go that high?"  (even if no such Philadelphia offer existed)

Or is it more of a vague lie, such as, "Philadelphia has you guys beat right now. What can you increase it to?"

Agents would not lie like that, it would destroy their credibility moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

No he didn’t hint. He said he doesn’t necessarily think it happens tomorrow.

I mean I think its pretty fair to say that tweet was rather cryptic and hinting......buuuuut could have just been wishful thinking on his part. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I don't want to put words in Brian's mouth but I think sometimes people look too far into his tweets just hoping for something that's not really there.  

This.  Everyone is reading social media for what they want to see, whether it be twitter, Soxtalk, reddit or whatever.  When these guys speak, they aren't always speaking as informants but as themselves.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

For example, if we have an offer of 7 for $250 on the table, would Lozano try to get us to increase the offer by saying something like, "Philadelphia has an offer on the table of 7 years for $280. You guys willing to go that high?"  (even if no such Philadelphia offer existed)

Or is it more of a vague lie, such as, "Philadelphia has you guys beat right now. What can you increase it to?"

Probably both depending on the situation. Here, I imagine they wouldn't give a specific dollar amount because they don't want to price the Sox out. If Lozano says "Phillies are at 7/280. Can you top that?" Maybe the Sox back out because they set an absolute limit of $270m. But if he says "Phillies have a higher offer. What can you do?" maybe the Sox throw in an extra $15-20 mil to get the deal done today.

Also, that doesn't put the agent in an awkward position of having to admit he lied, costing the player leverage. The Sox are likely going to come up a little at this point because they want to get the deal closed, so being vague is good. But if the Sox tell him to go pound sand at $280, it'll be bad when he comes back to them the next day and asks if the $250 offer is still good.

I think we are to the stage where the first team to panic, wins.  We have gone through the insane expectations, everyone being involved, team meetings, flight tracking, offers are too low, and now we are to the "mystery team" stage.  All that is left is one of the teams panicking to make it worth Manny's while and this will be done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Everyone is reading social media for what they want to see, whether it be twitter, Soxtalk, reddit or whatever.  When these guys speak, they aren't always speaking as informants but as themselves.

Yep. When I read Brian's tweet I took it as a reference to the Frazier/Lawrie trades that happened on a Wednesday. Nothing more, nothing less.

15 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

A gentleman by the name of Ernesto Jerez, who works for ESPN, seems to be saying that Machado to the Yankees is all but complete.

Kind of late but anyways. I can tell you that this Ernesto Jerez wasn´t talking about Manny Machado at all, he did mention Manny Acta (a venezuelan manager of a venezuelan team), and a random yankee fan considered that he was sending a cryptic message about Manny Machado and his agreement with Yankees. And then other users jump the train. Very weird I can say.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I don't want to put words in Brian's mouth but I think he was literally just making a statement, not hinting at anything.  Sometimes people look too far into his tweets just hoping for something that's not really there.  

To me personally sounded like he expects something to happen today. My feeling

10 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Yep. When I read Brian's tweet I took it as a reference to the Frazier/Lawrie trades that happened on a Wednesday. Nothing more, nothing less.

It goes well beyond that. The entire 2005/06 offseason happened on Wednesdays. The Thome/Rowand trade got it started the day before Thanksgiving, and pretty much every moved that followed happened on a Wednesday, spawning the "White Sox Wednesday" meme. There were a few moves in the subsequent years happening on Wednesdays and that was always mentioned.

Edited by Roughneck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Focurjay said:

Kind of late but anyways. I can tell you that this Ernesto Jerez wasn´t talking about Manny Machado at all, he did mention Manny Acta (a venezuelan manager of a venezuelan team), and a random yankee fan considered that he was sending a cryptic message about Manny Machado and his agreement with Yankees. And then other users jump the train. Very weird I can say.

Looks like that random Yankee fan had the wrong Manny. Someone should have told him not to... Acta fool.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I red that as throwing gasoline on a fire. You can say "I didn't know the fire would explode", but yeah you did, you knew exactly what the fire would do.

• Like 2

Just saw a guy on Twitter post that he got a Scoop that Manny Machado will be signing with the White Sox. He seemed pretty angry about it, too. He has 0 followers, and follows 8 people, but whats interesting is that he is a Yankees fan. He's also had the account for about 2 years and mainly follows Yankees people.

At this point I am grasping at anything.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Just saw a guy on Twitter post that he got a Scoop that Manny Machado will be signing with the White Sox. He seemed pretty angry about it, too. He has 0 followers, and follows 8 people, but whats interesting is that he is a Yankees fan. He's also had the account for about 2 years and mainly follows Yankees people.

Link?

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Okay but what does Sean Bradley say about this?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm a transactional attorney negotiating real estate and financial deals. In my experience handling complex contracts, each party has a different set of goals and a deal is more complex than just money, and lying doesn't really get you anywhere. You argue for what you want based on logic, not on what someone else is doing, because each party will have goals that they have to work within.

Obviously I don't work in sports, but from my experience, it would work something like this: Machado might accept a total dollar amount of $X, or an average value of $X, plus a minimum number of years, and opt outs at certain times, etc. Each team can give and take within those parameters. So even if a team is offering more total dollars and years, they might get beat by higher annual contract amount plus early opt out. So, the Sox, for example, might not want an early opt and will make up for it with more money and a no-trade clause or something.

It really isn't comparable to a car negotiation. The package each team offers is too complicated to simplify to just money. And the location and competitiveness of an organization could have value to the player as well which is very difficult to monetize.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, G&T said:

I'm a transactional attorney negotiating real estate and financial deals. In my experience handling complex contracts, each party has a different set of goals and a deal is more complex than just money, and lying doesn't really get you anywhere. You argue for what you want based on logic, not on what someone else is doing, because each party will have goals that they have to work within.

Obviously I don't work in sports, but from my experience, it would work something like this: Machado might accept a total dollar amount of $X, or an average value of $X, plus a minimum number of years, and opt outs at certain times, etc. Each team can give and take within those parameters. So even if a team is offering more total dollars and years, they might get beat by higher annual contract amount plus early opt out. So, the Sox, for example, might not want an early opt and will make up for it with more money and a no-trade clause or something.

It really isn't comparable to a car negotiation. The package each team offers is too complicated to simplify to just money. And the location and competitiveness of an organization could have value to the player as well which is very difficult to monetize.

I'm not a transactional attorney but I argued similar a few days ago.  It's a small ass fraternity you don't get anywhere bluffing and lying in contracts.  Trades?  That's a different story.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres