Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Like others have said, I think the Phillies are out on Machado and thus focusing all their attention on Harper...hence the meeting they are having with him in Vegas this weekend.

That leaves the Sox and the Yankees for Machado. The Yankees don't necessarily need him, but they are interested anyway just because they can obviously afford him if they truly wanted him and also because they are his favorite childhood team. I would have to think that the Sox have a better offer than New York in terms of both years and dollars, and Machado is weighing his options right now. The Alonso trade/Jay signing are most likely tactics by the Sox to try to sway Machado if he's on the fence.

As of now, I think the odds are slightly in the Sox favor based on the reasons listed above and also because of the news we heard yesterday, but that can change fast.

First time poster, long time fan and message board reader. Weekend ticket holder (or should i say value plan).  Thank you for entertaining me these past few months. There are some passionate and knowledgable fans on this site.

Wish i can break news and say Manny is signing with the white sox, so I won't. But I have a strong sense he is. 

keep on keeping on. look forward to talking more

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

First time poster, long time fan and message board reader. Weekend ticket holder (or should i say value plan).  Thank you for entertaining me these past few months. There are some passionate and knowledgable fans on this site.

Wish i can break news and say Manny is signing with the white sox, so I won't. But I have a strong sense he is. 

keep on keeping on. look forward to talking more

Welcome :headbang

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I know this...once Manny signs, I think Harper moves pretty quickly. I think he's waiting to make sure he ends up getting the largest contract in MLB history and Boras wants him to be the last to sign (as part of his normal MO).  

It's possible, but I think Harper is going to drag it out until the end of the month or into February. Them drawing the Nationals back into it seems to point to the bidding not being where they expected it to be. Add into it that the Dodgers still haven't cleared enough payroll and supposedly don't want to go long-term on Harper, and the usual deep pockets Yankees/Cubs/Red Sox or even Rangers/Mariners/Cardinals are out of the bidding, and I think this things aren't looking so great for Boras. I think Boras will zero in on whoever loses out on Machado and have a Mexican standoff with that team, the Dodgers, and maybe they can draw the Padres into it. Worst case scenario, the deal isn't there in February and Harper decides to go back to Washington for something nuts like $50 mil for one season for one final shot with that franchise. Boras likes to play games and I don't see this ending soon.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Our Chuck was on 670 an hour ago. Said he has a real good feeling that Manny will sign with the Sox if the Phillies don’t go crazy with money. He also said that he believes Manny would have no problem playing 3rd base.

Are you talking about Garfien or one of our posters?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres