Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This is such an agent planted tweet.    Trying to get Yanks to make offer or get out and hopefully squeeze more out from Sox or Phillies.     If this is true, Hahn is playing poker- why bid against himself?    But this tells me the end is near.  Negotiations 101 here.   Likely ending late today.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mbs1969 said:

This is such an agent planted tweet.    Trying to get Yanks to make offer or get out and hopefully squeeze more out from Sox or Phillies.     If this is true, Hahn is playing poker- why bid against himself?    But this tells me the end is near.  Negotiations 101 here.   Likely ending late today.  

I agree with the plant. That is what I was thinking. Not sure about the timeline. I have no feel for that.  

5 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Harper back to Nationals gaining momentum, some reports suggesting the Phillies are circling back to Machado

This seems to be heating up alot

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if Hahn (or any GM) would have the balls to say...….   Okay, here's our offer for $300,000,000.  It's good for 24 hours, then it's off the table.

Why would the White Sox effectively bid against themselves? It is not as if there are ten suitors dying to sign Machado

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

The Sox are not in a position imo to do anything like that

The Sox, especially Rick & Kenny, really can't afford to lose Manny at this point. Not after signing his best friend and trading for his brother in law.  I don't think either one of them survives in their roles as GM & VP if they don't get Manny after those moves.

Edited by Gr8Scott
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Eh, if i had to speculate, this came from the Yankees. It is similar to what the reporter on the Score said this morning from his yankees people. My feeling is that the Yankees believe he won't go elsewhere for less than $300M, and are gambling on that. If Machado blinks, then they can get him at a greatly reduced price, since it will show that he won't play for anyone else. If it doesn't work, well, they don't really need him anyway. You can start to see why the Sox got Yonder and Jay.

And I'll refer to my previous post about these over simplified concepts of negotiations.

Just now, Gr8Scott said:

The Sox, especially Rick & Kenny, really can't afford to lose Manny at this point. Not after signing his best friend and trading for his brother in law.  I don't think either one of them survives in their roles as GM & VP if they don't get Manny after those moves.

I would not go that far

Signing a Harper/Machado would obviously be a huge boost to our rebuild, but you cannot predict the motivations of a player at the end of the day. 

We all want one premium free agent whale, and they are doing their best to make it happen

• Like 1

If the reports are true, and they are still looking for a $300 million deal, I actually think that is good news for the White Sox. Because if it’s true that the Yankees are around $200 million, then this probably takes them out of the running. Sox might not go $300 million, but I could see them in the $270 million range, which I still don’t think the Yankees touch.

2 minutes ago, Gr8Scott said:

You think JR would fire them if Manny signs elsewhere?  I don't.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

I wonder if Hahn (or any GM) would have the balls to say...….   Okay, here's our offer for $300,000,000.  It's good for 24 hours, then it's off the table.

As long as it is for 8-9 with protections........140 guaranteed for the first 4 and set up the rest like the pitcher the Mariners got.  Going to year 5, Sox have 5 years at $160 option or Manny plays 1 year at $40 million then hits FA again.  Technically that's $300 million.    If he'd sign for 10 years at that I would consider since in the next 5 years, I think a $30- million AAV is going to be pretty good for a top talent?

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

If the reports are true, and they are still looking for a $300 million deal, I actually think that is good news for the White Sox. Because if it’s true that the Yankees are around $200 million, then this probably takes them out of the running. Sox might not go $300 million, but I could see them in the $270 million range, which I still don’t think the Yankees touch.

Decent possibility. If the Yankees really wanted him, I would think a deal would be done already. I'm guessing there is a substantial money and year difference between the Yankees and Phillies/White Sox. Machado is holding out for bigger final offers before making a decision.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They aren't being cheap. 

That’s good to know....I don’t think you make the moves that you have just to be cheap but unfortunately if they somehow don’t land him you will have all sorts of people on that “Jerry is being cheap again” bandwagon 

1 minute ago, Wisebri224 said:

As long as it is for 8-9 with protections........140 guaranteed for the first 4 and set up the rest like the pitcher the Mariners got.  Going to year 5, Sox have 5 years at $160 option or Manny plays 1 year at $40 million then hits FA again.  Technically that's $300 million.    If he'd sign for 10 years at that I would consider since in the next 5 years, I think a $30- million AAV is going to be pretty good for a top talent?

Teams have gotten smarter than in the past, and are very reluctant to short sightedly sign players to 10+ year deals. I think Sox hold firm at 7-8 years and say 
"this is our best offer"

1 minute ago, Leonard Zelig said:

You think JR would fire them if Manny signs elsewhere?  I don't.

I think it is more of the public view of seeing the moves that were made to get him if they failed. I do think Jay and Alonso can be productive for the Sox. Just my opinion that Rick and Kenny would kinda look like complete clowns for those moves if they didn't get Manny. If that makes any sense.

Just now, steveno89 said:

Teams have gotten smarter than in the past, and are very reluctant to short sightedly sign players to 10+ year deals. I think Sox hold firm at 7-8 years and say 
"this is our best offer"

IMO - looking at a 26.5 year old player and refusing to sign him to a 10 year deal because guys several guys who signed to 10 year deals at age 31-32 blew up after a few years...is somewhat questionable thinking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Decent possibility. If the Yankees really wanted him, I would think a deal would be done already. I'm guessing there is a substantial money and year difference between the Yankees and Phillies/White Sox. Machado is holding out for bigger final offers before making a decision.

I think a lot of the offers so far are probably closer to $200 million than $300 million, and at this point the Machado camp is waiting for that one team to say “you know what, we’ll go $280 million.” And once they get to that point, they either just accept, or that becomes the new bar.

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

Eh, if i had to speculate, this came from the Yankees. It is similar to what the reporter on the Score said this morning from his yankees people. My feeling is that the Yankees believe he won't go elsewhere for less than $300M, and are gambling on that. If Machado blinks, then they can get him at a greatly reduced price, since it will show that he won't play for anyone else. If it doesn't work, well, they don't really need him anyway. You can start to see why the Sox got Yonder and Jay.

And I'll refer to my previous post about these over simplified concepts of negotiations.

I’m an attorney as well and appreciate your view.  I think Yankees could have planted it but it’s more likely that Machado is getting annoyed and told his agent get an offer from NY ASAP or let’s finish it up.    This clearly has gone longer than expected.    Let’s face it, if Hahn gets him for 240 M than he’s got room for a second WOW free agent.   

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

IMO - looking at a 26.5 year old player and refusing to sign him to a 10 year deal because guys several guys who signed to 10 year deals at age 31-32 blew up after a few years...is somewhat questionable thinking. 

and if you were going to offer closer to 200 than 300, then why go to all the trouble with Alonso and Jay?  Hopefully the Sox have a stronger offer they're still willing to make.

2 minutes ago, Gr8Scott said:

I think it is more of the public view of seeing the moves that were made to get him if they failed. I do think Jay and Alonso can be productive for the Sox. Just my opinion that Rick and Kenny would kinda look like complete clowns for those moves if they didn't get Manny. If that makes any sense.

My reaction to missing both of them would be extreme, fandom crushing disappointment. It wouldn't be enough to get those guys fired because nothing will ever get them fired, but I'd probably close this window and not be interested in talking about the White Sox again for a while. 

• Like 5

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres