Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

22 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

This is such an agent planted tweet.    Trying to get Yanks to make offer or get out and hopefully squeeze more out from Sox or Phillies.     If this is true, Hahn is playing poker- why bid against himself?    But this tells me the end is near.  Negotiations 101 here.   Likely ending late today.  

If it were agent planted, he'd be pumping up the bids to get teams involved to beat them.

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Throwing numbers out there like this is rough.  You never really know what Machado's dollar want is, versus how much he really wants to play for NYY.  It could be no amount would keep him from NYC, or he could be holding out for a record number. 

As the great Ted DiBiase said, everybody's got a price. He might really want to go to the Yankees, but at some point there is a dollar amount that would make him say "Damn, I can't turn that down." Is that $50 mil above NY? $100? I don't know, but the Sox will obviously pay a premium to get him if they do.

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

We all feel the same. 

Quite frankly, I think if the deal comes in under 300 million, the Sox are going to have a hard sell to fans that they did everything they could do. If it gets crazy at the end with bidding and someone like Philly wants to go nuts, you can't fault them too much. 

Fans are going to be irate regardless, but I don't think him getting under $300 million from the Yankees looks that terrible for the Sox. We've had reports all along that he wanted to play in NY, and it might work out that the Sox offered a bunch more money but he went to the Yankees anyway. It's a built-in excuse for the Sox. Manny signing for under $300 with the Phillies? That would be a huge problem for them.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

and if you were going to offer closer to 200 than 300, then why go to all the trouble with Alonso and Jay?  Hopefully the Sox have a stronger offer they're still willing to make.

There's 2 possibilities I see - either the White Sox really are this stupid, or Machado's side has not come back to a team with a reasonable counteroffer that he'd sign, as at least the basis for negotiation. If Machado's side had come back to me and counteroffered with 9/280, as long as there wasn't a year 3 optout required, I'd be working out the yearly details and getting it done before he changed his mind. Maybe that's more than the White Sox would go, but the White Sox could counteroffer at 260 or something like that and get this finished.

On paper, that would be one of the best contracts this team had signed in years. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My reaction to missing both of them would be extreme, fandom crushing disappointment. It wouldn't be enough to get those guys fired because nothing will ever get them fired, but I'd probably close this window and not be interested in talking about the White Sox again for a while. 

You mean you wouldn’t want to watch Alonso, Moustakas and Jay in same lineup  as a daily reminder of their failure?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My reaction to missing both of them would be extreme, fandom crushing disappointment. It wouldn't be enough to get those guys fired because nothing will ever get them fired, but I'd probably close this window and not be interested in talking about the White Sox again for a while. 

I would not be far off from this. Losing out on both would be a huge blow, one that neither I, or Sox fans, would soon recover from. 

I really feel the rebuild hinges on inking a big fish because we cannot expect home grown talent alone to get it done

No chance not landing one of the two gets RH or KW fired, this is Reinsdorf we are talking about but boy oh boy will they be roasted DAILY by fans, more so if he signs with the Phillies. Especially if a deal happens before SoxFest. I would almost feel bad for them.

2 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

I’m an attorney as well and appreciate your view.  I think Yankees could have planted it but it’s more likely that Machado is getting annoyed and told his agent get an offer from NY ASAP or let’s finish it up.    This clearly has gone longer than expected.    Let’s face it, if Hahn gets him for 240 M than he’s got room for a second WOW free agent.   

First, this isn't a "plant" in my view, it's just a background leak. Just throwing a bone to Heyman so he does a solid in the future.

Second, the Yankees aren't going to give Machado $300M. So how does this tweet push the Yankees to do anything? They aren't going to outbid everyone at this point. If they wanted to outbid, then it would have been done at the Winter Meetings.

Third, Machado knows where the Yankees are in terms of money. This "formal offer" stuff is nonsense in that regard. There are plenty of other terms that might be in a formal offer sheet, but either they will meet the price or not, and right now they won't.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I would not be far off from this. Losing out on both would be a huge blow, one that neither I, or Sox fans, would soon recover from. 

I really feel the rebuild hinges on inking a big fish because we cannot expect home grown talent alone to get it done

We might still get there in 2021 or 2022 if a good number of things go right, there's still a ton of talent in this organization, but we'd need developmental disasters like 2018 to never happen again.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

No chance not landing one of the two gets RH or KW fired, this is Reinsdorf we are talking about but boy oh boy will they be roasted DAILY by fans, more so if he signs with the Phillies. Especially if a deal happens before SoxFest. I would almost feel bad for them.

I don't go to Soxfest because I'm across the country,  but hypothetically - if I had tickets, and the Sox missed out on both, I'd probably sell them. If I couldn't sell them, I'm not sure I'd go at all. Only reason I'd go is to boo. Like obnoxiously. And I'm not sure I'd care enough to do that, I might very well just eat the cost.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't go to Soxfest because I'm across the country,  but hypothetically - if I had tickets, and the Sox missed out on both, I'd probably sell them. If I couldn't sell them, I'm not sure I'd go at all. Only reason I'd go is to boo. Like obnoxiously. And I'm not sure I'd care enough to do that, I might very well just eat the cost.

SoxFest will absolutely be miserable to attend if this ends beforehand and they fail to get him. 

I’m starting to think the Yankees have set a firm total dollar amount in which they’re willing to pay. Because the Yankees know they already have a really good left side of the infield. They obviously know Machado makes any team better, but how much better can an already 100-win team get? So Machado’s agent probably keeps going back with different numbers and the Yankees are firm at that $200 million and this could be a last second effort to say “Manny will sign with the White Sox or Phillies if you don’t up the offer.” So we probably just have to wait and see if the Yankees bite or stay firm.

Just now, steveno89 said:

what this says to me is that before ownership flies to vegas, they know they have one last chance to grab Manny before he picks between the yanks and Sox.  That is a very good thing, as resolution should be soon and would require Phillies to put out a huge offer by tomorrow, before trying to land Harper. Also, if Sox or Yankees sign Manny before saturday...Boras will be feasting on those desperate Phillies...would love to be a fly on the wall. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Isn’t the Phillies brass flying to Vegas to meet with Bryce in person this weekend? Pretty odd they would be turning to MM right now with the Harper meeting in place. This just seems like more of the nonsense we have seen all offseason.

9 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If they don't land a whale, it is because of JR, not RH or KW.  This paycheck is going to come from the top.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We might still get there in 2021 or 2022 if a good number of things go right, there's still a ton of talent in this organization, but we'd need developmental disasters like 2018 to never happen again.

I'm not as high on our own internal options as most people are, especially with regards to health. This rebuild is desperate for outside talent additions to get back into contention 

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

We all feel the same. 

Quite frankly, I think if the deal comes in under 300 million, the Sox are going to have a hard sell to fans that they did everything they could do. If it gets crazy at the end with bidding and someone like Philly wants to go nuts, you can't fault them too much. 

Everything is lining up for this deal to actually be tolerable, not even an overpay. If the sox don't land either one, I do not think  they were serious, and if they were serious then they were also naive, and if they were not naive, then they were arrogant.

Sometimes I think this front office thinks they are a lot more clever and successful than they are. There are no runners up for free agents.

And because this needs to be said, I do think sox are going to sign him, that it is a monumental achievement to sign and will be a true sign of the changing, positive capabilities when it happens. But, there is no try here. If they fail it is a failure and if they succeed it's a success. This market did not get out of control, they said they were going to operate differently, then do it. 

But if they thought being cute and creative signing friends was a substitute for providing the cash required to land a once-every-few years prized free agent...that's bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

I'm not as high on our own internal options as most people are, especially with regards to health. This rebuild is desperate for outside talent additions to get back into contention 

I agree but this system also has a potential where if this year is as good for development as last year was bad for development, they are in great shape. It just cannot stay at it's current trajectory, too few new pieces are being added.

4 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’m starting to think the Yankees have set a firm total dollar amount in which they’re willing to pay. Because the Yankees know they already have a really good left side of the infield. They obviously know Machado makes any team better, but how much better can an already 100-win team get? So Machado’s agent probably keeps going back with different numbers and the Yankees are firm at that $200 million and this could be a last second effort to say “Manny will sign with the White Sox or Phillies if you don’t up the offer.” So we probably just have to wait and see if the Yankees bite or stay firm.

I hope this is the case.

If it's not, my guess is the yankees asked if they could have time to try and get the best deal for andujar before teams discounted offers as "desperation", then signed Manny. But, it would seem surprising that no real leaks of trade offers had occurred, so I think sox offer continues to be the strength here.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Everything is lining up for this deal to actually be tolerable, not even an overpay. If the sox don't land either one, I do not think  they were serious, and if they were serious then they were also naive, and if they were not naive, then they were arrogant.

Sometimes I think this front office thinks they are a lot more clever and successful than they are. There are no runners up for free agents.

And because this needs to be said, I do think sox are going to sign him, that it is a monumental achievement to sign and will be a true sign of the changing, positive capabilities when it happens. But, there is no try here. If they fail it is a failure and if they succeed it's a success. This market did not get out of control, they said they were going to operate differently, then do it. 

But if they thought being cute and creative signing friends was a substitute for providing the cash required to land a once-every-few years prized free agent...that's bad.

I love this post so much 

• Like 1

IMO the two most likely scenarios where Machado doesn't sign with the Sox are in the event that he wants to play for the Yankees so badly that he is willing to sign there for materially less money, or JR has put a hard cap on the amount of money he's authorized Hahn to offer and the Phillies beat it.  Neither of those is the fault of Hahn or KW.

Putting the money aspect aside, I think Hahn and KW have done everything they possibly could to bring Machado here, from meeting with him and taking him around Chicago, to putting video presentations together, to bringing in Alonso and Jay (and possibly Castillo before).  I applaud those efforts whatever happens.  I think they deserve our appreciation when this is all over and I hope the fans don't give them a hard time if either of the above-referenced scenarios come to pass.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres