Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Guesses on contract structure? 

200 for 7 years. Opt out after 3. First three years at 40, last 4 at 20?

Giving him the option to hit free agency at 29 and praying that the Sox are World Seeies contenders so he doesn’t opt out?

Edited by Orlando

10 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

DD2BE3C8-4AFB-47F2-92B9-BBFB8BAAC8E6.jpeg

Now that this seems officially official, it will be interesting if Hahn has any comments or conference calls with the media. He still hasn’t commented on Herrera, If we don’t hear from him after Jay too. I think that will be very telling he was working on something, probably much larger. 

Just now, Frank_Thomas said:

Now that this seems officially official, it will be interesting if Hahn has any comments or conference calls with the media. He still hasn’t commented on Herrera, If we don’t hear from him after Jay too. I think that will be very telling he was working on something, probably much larger. 

Well yeah...Machado.

Doubt it happens but if somehow we got him locked down around that price I hope they make a big offer to Harper to try and snag them both, but right now with philly still in play I believe he’s going to get much closer to the 300 million versus the 200 million being reported 

14 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

He really believes the Sox are only at $200 mil offer this far in the negotiation?  If that’s the case the Sox are no longer serious contenders. 

Not sure about this...maybe the only "known" official offer was in that 200 million range--as reported earlier.  Who knows what it's been upped to now--if anything.  I think this is the "report only what you know" version of language.  

58 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who else would they add?

Pollock, Keuchel, Kimbrel, Moustakas, Marwin Gonzalez?

Or Harper?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they went after Keuchel. I mean I know what he's asking and realize he's not young. But his makeup - ground ball pitcher - is what the sox love. And I do think we need another starter.  Now what he wants and what the market dictates are 2 different things. 

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

I may very well bat Anderson 9th.

(also soak in porcellos salary to get Jackie Bradley jr for 2 years by giving up like ... i haven’t thought about that yet then also the Red Sox stick chavis in the corner.)

Lol oh wait that has Harper in it no salary acquisitions then

I thought about flipping Anderson & Castillo, but figured Timmy should bat higher strictly from a development perspective.

6 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Not sure about this...maybe the only "known" official offer was in that 200 million range--as reported earlier.  Who knows what it's been upped to now--if anything.  I think this is the "report only what you know" version of language.  

I guess if that’s the last thing he heard then he goes with it. It’s just unrealistic to think the Yankees would bail at that amount.

23 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Guesses on contract structure? 

200 for 7 years. Opt out after 3. First three years at 40, last 4 at 20?

Giving him the option to hit free agency at 29 and praying that the Sox are World Seeies contenders so he doesn’t opt out?

Doesn’t really make sense for the Sox.  You’re paying him $40m/year while you’re still ramping up from rebuild mode then he almost certainly opt outs. He’s not playing for $20m/year in his prime.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres