Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It all kind of fits together.  He’s leaking these fake offers to Manny and gets small real news in return like the Jay signing.

Agreed. And regardless of what happens with Manny there will be plenty of other moves coming and he may be willing to do this now for something later. Happens a lot I’m sure. 

Edited by Frank_Thomas

3 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Another interesting point now that Jay is official according Bob, he will also have comments and questions with the media. Most likely today, should make for some interesting quotes. 

What’s the Over/Under on the number of Manny Questions 

2 minutes ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Another interesting point now that Jay is official according Bob, he will also have comments and questions with the media. Most likely today, should make for some interesting quotes. 

Probably something like: I'd love to have Manny here with me and Yonder but Manny will do what's best for him and his family . He's a great guy and I will continue to be his friend no matter where he signs.

Not sure I'd call that interesting.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Probably something like: I'd love to have Manny here with me and Yonder but Manny will do what's best for him and his family . He's a great guy and I will continue to be his friend no matter where he signs.

Not sure I'd call that interesting.

You’re probably right on. But reporters will ask some leading questions. Everyone knows what this looks like and it will be interesting to see the questions asked and if his answers are like you say or he lets on more than we expect.

Someone should definitely ask him why do you think the Sox signed you above market value when their was such a robust OF market that has yet to set a market for players. 

May be just as you say but I for one will be interested o hear or read what was asked and how and what he responded like.

Edited by Frank_Thomas

52 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think there will be any other significant moves. Let the rebuild breathe. 

I have to agree. Harper would be pretty significant but I think the Sox will be extremely happy if Manny comes here. It's not exactly finished yet . Count that chicken after it hatches and maybe that hatchling influences the ones still in the eggs.

58 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The thing that worries me is that Nightengale is the first to report that Jon Jay is official. Obviously he got that information from someone in the know. You would think the next question he asked is "what's going on with Manny?" and probably got the $200 number. If the source knew about Jay, why wouldn't he know about Manny?

The people dealing with Jay might not be the same that are working on Manny. Totally different level of contract with major ramifications. Also, when a deal is official, usually a lot of people will need to know. I'm guessing insurance, HR, and whoever else in an organization that need to do paperwork. The circle of knowledge grows, so it is best to just start telling anyone who asks since you can't keep it secret anyway.

With this Manny information, I am guessing he is hearing a second or third hand account from someone hearing rumors in the organization. Putting any stock in actual numbers or years is pointless. Of course, I have found it interesting that he also had the scoop on the seven years from the Sox. So it is possible that this is curated information, but that number is so low that the Phillies would ignore it.

Edited by G&T

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have to agree. Harper would be pretty significant but I think the Sox will be extremely happy if Manny comes here. It's not exactly finished yet . Count that chicken after it hatches and maybe that hatchling influences the ones still in the eggs.

Playing Devils advocate here, but let’s say the whitesox do land manny. Does anyone know Harper and Machados relationship? Are they friends and could they coexist with mannys crew already going to be running the clubhouse it looks like.

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Sox leaked an offer to 200 million to Bob so that Philly would submit a final offer of 225 million. 

I think the Sox definitely leaked a low # to attempt to throw philly off, but 200 sounds too low.  It sounds like too much of a bullshit off.  

I don’t think the actual offers are anywhere in the ballpark.  I think they’re really close to 280, but how do the Sox and Philly know what each really are offering.  

Sox trying to keep Philly’s offer south of 300ish.  JR fully expected the offers to possibly be up in 300 range before this all started.  

Think JR is trying to prevent this bididing to get out of hand and reach 340 territory with the Philly’s Stupid money.  In my opinion I think itje signing ends up around 300 to 320.  

1 minute ago, jamesdiego said:

I think the Sox definitely leaked a low # to attempt to throw philly off, but 200 sounds too low.  It sounds like too much of a bullshit off.  

I don’t think the actual offers are anywhere in the ballpark.  I think they’re really close to 280, but how do the Sox and Philly know what each really are offering.  

Sox trying to keep Philly’s offer south of 300ish.  JR fully expected the offers to possibly be up in 300 range before this all started.  

Think JR is trying to prevent this bididing to get out of hand and reach 340 territory with the Philly’s Stupid money.  In my opinion I think itje signing ends up around 300 to 320.  

To be honest, I don't think sox seriously consider a leak to be part of their strategy. I think KW probably does it because it's fun, and others do it, and it's part of the game. And Bob N runs with it because he needs content. And the best ones try to sniff it out and give the best possible context for what's happening.

14 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Playing Devils advocate here, but let’s say the whitesox do land manny. Does anyone know Harper and Machados relationship? Are they friends and could they coexist with mannys crew already going to be running the clubhouse it looks like.

I don't know how close they are, but I know they're both friends with Nicky Delmonico #ItsHappening

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

To be honest, I don't think sox seriously consider a leak to be part of their strategy. I think KW probably does it because it's fun, and others do it, and it's part of the game. And Bob N runs with it because he needs content. And the best ones try to sniff it out and give the best possible context for what's happening.

This is true, how many signings/trades have we made this offseason where the Sox have legit been linked to outside of a hint about Alonso but even then the Whitesox weren’t directly linked to him. Jay came out of nowhere, no national reporter reporter had the Sox linked to Herrera ahead of time. 

7 minutes ago, jamesdiego said:

It doesn't matter what the other team is offering. There are goals for each organization, and the deal is more complicated than money alone. All a team needs to know is that they are still in the game, and the only way to know that is the negotiations keep moving forward. When someone tells Ken Rosenthal that Lazano isn't returning calls (which was Monday's news) that tells me someone wasn't in the neighborhood of an acceptable deal, and I figure that was the Yankees.

I've seen some posts with future lineups including Machado and Harper, and as much as I like that idea, how realistic is it?  Provided the Sox sign Machado, what other moves should they make if not Harper?  Would adding Pollack make any sense at this point since Jay was signed?  Another starter would be great along with a little more bullpen help. 

Edited by hogan873

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

It doesn't matter what the other team is offering. There are goals for each organization, and the deal is more complicated than money alone. All a team needs to know is that they are still in the game, and the only way to know that is the negotiations keep moving forward. When someone tells Ken Rosenthal that Lazano isn't returning calls (which was Monday's news) that tells me someone wasn't in the neighborhood of an acceptable deal, and I figure that was the Yankees.

You're right that each team has its own goals, but they are also trying to sign the player for as little money as possible. The Sox might have set a 10 year/330 limit for Machado, but could still be offering 7/250 at this point. Manny has a set number he wants, but it looks like he's not going to get it. So this is about beating the other team's offer, provided Manny wants to sign for the most money.

• Like 1

If we sign Manny I would stay the course for the rest of FA signings... only make moves that benefit us 2-3 years down the road. We've already made the stop gap trades and signings in Alonso and Jay. The only other stop gaps I'd want are two lottery ticket pitchers like the Shelby Miller signing for $2mm. Other than that? Pollock is a luxury, and I don't think he is necessary if you believe in your minor league OF's. He is oft injured and expensive. Infield? Nothing to do there either. IF there was a big spend I'd look to Keuchel for a 4 year deal at like $70mm. He theoretically should age well and could still slot in as a 3/4 at the end of that contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I've seen some posts with future lineups including Machado and Harper, and as much as I like that idea, how realistic is it?  Provided the Sox sign Machado, what other moves should they make if not Harper?  Would adding Pollack make any sense at this point since Jay was signed?  Another starter would be great along with a little more bullpen help. 

I don’t think it’s very realistic at all, and honestly I’m fine with that. Signing one or the other is a massive win for the offseason. Use the rest of the payroll space next offseason and co to use from there. Only other move I’d like to see is another starter added. Maybe get Gio on a 1 yr. deal or something.

*** that being said, if Harpers market is bad too (let's say Manny signs for 8/260 or something... which is well below the projections of the 10/330 type deals before the offseason starts) then I think you a FINAL and BEST offer to Harper and walk. Be like we'll do 10 years and $340mm... take or leave it. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres