Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

U

I think this has been expected from the beginning of the process.

No team is going to put its actual best offer on the table until the agent says that they will sign the contract if the team puts a certain contract on the table. They're not going to let you walk out of the room with their actual best offer. 

3 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

He wouldn’t be bragging for that long after Harper signs his deal

I think Boras is more concerned with breaking Stanton’s deal.  Don’t think he’ll get 10 years with a $35M AAV when there will only be one or two teams willing to spend crazy money on him at that point.  Maybe he can pull off 10/$326M though.

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

And maybe that’s Cashman’s play all along. Let the Sox and Phillies set the market, the Yankees seemingly know they have the advantage of being Machado’s preferred destination, so if they have “final say” maybe that’s when the Yankees present their offer. 

“Yeah, we’ll match that.”

Sox may not have the opportunity to get back into the bidding either...

I think so too

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Nothing you haven’t heard. The lady from YES basically said if Maany wants the most money and years, it won’t be from the Yankees. She thinks he will have to sacrifice too much. They also hinted the Phillies prefer Harper.

Of course they do. Now that it doesn’t appear they will get Manny. Just as the posting and thread history of this board has preferred Harper or Machado based on the most recent rumors and likelihood of getting them. It wasn’t long ago everyone wanted Harper due to star power. 

1 minute ago, Sox72 said:

Of course they do. Now that it doesn’t appear they will get Manny. Just as the posting and thread history of this board has preferred Harper or Machado based on the most recent rumors and likelihood of getting them. It wasn’t long ago everyone wanted Harper due to star power. 

every story the last few weeks was that the Phillies preferred Manny

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

every story the last few weeks was that the Phillies preferred Manny

Yup.  Also, if Harper was their favorite originally, they would have met with him in Vegas during the Winter Meetings.  It’s odd the narrative is changing right now unless they’re less optimistic about their chances with him.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I know that, just was curious what they posted.

They thought that Manny was signing with the White Sox because of a fake Jeff Passan account tweet from 3 hours ago. Not only did they not realize that the account lacked a blue check mark, but they wrote a whole article on the ordeal and still didn't notice, not to mention they failed to realize that if it were real, other people would've talked about it in the last 3 hours. Just puzzling all around 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Aaaand this is why neither are signing until after SB Sunday. This is just a huge game of chicken between Boras and Lozano. Neither wants to be the first to sign. 

Harper is going to get more. I’m sure Lozano knows that. Harper is also wayyyyy more likely to become a bad contract IMO, and perhaps evenly quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shipps said:

Ok so I’m my paranoia while the rumor mill is calm I start imagining MM signing with Yankees for far less than all the other offers and Dan Clark getting to claim he was right all along. 

If he does that they should kick him out of the union.  Taking less money in a offseason where teams are obviously penny pinching and girding their loins?  Yea, this labor fight is gonna be UGLY.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Actually encouraging stuff from Jack Curry, who's known as a very good Yankees source:

2 things we can all be annoyed by from this ...

One of the guys referring to Manny "coming back to reality" and signing with the Yankees because the White Sox won't be winners for 3 or 4 more years.

Secondly, the Meredith lady said that the White Sox are the only team that can promise Manny a position at SS, because she thinks Jean Segura is apparently a better defensive SS than Tim Anderson, or likely just has no idea who Tim Anderson even is. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Actually encouraging stuff from Jack Curry, who's known as a very good Yankees source:

The female commentator suggested that the Sox would agree to let him play SS. As we've all speculated, he probably doesn't really care and that was just a ploy to increase his value, going in to his FA year. However, I hope that the Sox would not acquiesce to any demand to play SS. That would greatly reduce his value. He's a Gold Glove third baseman and a below average SS. I know that we've beaten that dead horse, but it's worth reiterating. 

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

2 things we can all be annoyed by from this ...

One of the guys referring to Manny "coming back to reality" and signing with the Yankees because the White Sox won't be winners for 3 or 4 more years.

Secondly, the Meredith lady said that the White Sox are the only team that can promise Manny a position at SS, because she thinks Jean Segura is apparently a better defensive SS than Tim Anderson, or likely just has no idea who Tim Anderson even is. 

Yes, that suggestion was disturbing. But then, what the Hell do these hacks know about the Sox? Their world is the Yankees and the rest of baseball probably just doesn't count for anything, in their estimation. Geez, if the Sox aren't "winners for 3 or 4 more years," the rebuild will have failed. What great prospects do we have, who are 4 to 5 years away from being MLB contributors? 

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The female commentator suggested that the Sox would agree to let him play SS. As we've all speculated, he probably doesn't really care and that was just a ploy to increase his value, going in to his FA year. However, I hope that the Sox would not acquiesce to any demand to play SS. That would greatly reduce his value. He's a Gold Glove third baseman and a below average SS. I know that we've beaten that dead horse, but it's worth reiterating. 

I don't think the Sox would displace TA. Make Machado the highest paid AAV and I highly doubt he gives two shits what position he's playing. 

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

This forum seems a lot more pessimistic about this whole thing today as opposed to yesterday. Ugh. 

I think it's because we assumed we were in the lead (and we still could or could not be). The longer this goes on it just seems like its just more time to let it slip away and allow the others to overcome us.

Also, we are tired and very impatient.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres