Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Say what you want about Hahn going out and getting Alonso and Jay, and how laughable the Sox would look if Machado went elsewhere - at least they will be in the field contributing. The Phillies just went out and got a coach for 1 hypothetical player on a squad of 25 guys. That is crazy. Can't lose the faith now. Lock him up and get it done Hahn!

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Better chance to win? Larger fanbase? I'm not trying to troll, just throwing those out as possible advantages for the Phillies.

But a MUCH tougher division. Phillies might be a better team, but the Braves are upcoming, the Nats are as strong as ever, and the Mets have made some solid improvements. The AL Central is only going to get weaker as the Sox start to get better. He could have sustained success on the South Side.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Better chance to win? Larger fanbase? I'm not trying to troll, just throwing those out as possible advantages for the Phillies.

I'm not really sure their fanbase is all that bigger than ours. And as far as winning goes, they'll probably have more wins than the Sox next year, but they're in a much tougher division and I like the Sox collection of talent a lot better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

But a MUCH tougher division. Phillies might be a better team, but the Braves are upcoming, the Nats are as strong as ever, and the Mets have made some solid improvements. The AL Central is only going to get weaker as the Sox start to get better. He could have sustained success on the South Side.

The Phillies have a much better reason to sign Harper, which is to stop him from going back to the Nationals.

We have no such scenario to worry about, blocking another divisional team in this situation.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Phillies have a much better reason to sign Harper, which is to stop him from going back to the Nationals.

We have no such scenario to worry about, blocking another divisional team in this situation.

He's not going back to the Nationals regardless. They've moved far on. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And that left handed bat fits much better in their lineup. He actually is the better fit for them.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to play in the mausoleums and boring no fan cities like the ones in our division.  Admit it going to play in front of no fans in Detroit , Minnesota, KC and Cleveland. That has to be the worst division for fans in baseball. Then you add Tampa, Oakland , Baltimore , Seattle ( rebuilding)  and the small crowds those teams get it is not that exciting. I guarantee that has crossed Harpers mind. I’m a SOX fan and am hoping we get Machado ( no chance for Harper imo) but if the money is equal that might cross my mind. Just saying 

Edited by SoxSteve

19 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to play in the mausoleums and boring no fan cities like the ones in our division.  Admit it going to play in front of no fans in Detroit , Minnesota, KC and Cleveland. That has to be the worst division for fans in baseball. Then you add Tampa, Oakland , Baltimore , Seattle ( rebuilding)  and the small crowds those teams get it is not that exciting. I guarantee that has crossed Harpers mind. I’m a SOX fan and am hoping we get Machado ( no chance for Harper imo) but if the money is equal that might cross my mind. Just saying 

Right, and Machado knows already exactly what he's getting into, the comfort level with his future teammates and a manager that can relate to him even better than Showalter (at least theoretically).

Other than Miami, you've got a rising team filled with exciting talent in a brand new stadium in Atlanta, the NY market (Mets) and Washington, D.C. as well, all on the East Coast of the United States, which is essentially the ESPN time zone.   Not only that, but you've got a rising NL Central and then the Dodgers on the West Coast.

Besides Boston, NYY and Houston...the American League is not really all that exciting.

Edited by caulfield12

When I get up in the morning to get ready for work, I stare at my phone before picking it up and plead with the baseball gods that this is it. This was gonna be the night that the Sox did it. Manny agreed to terms with the Sox and all I had to do was hit refresh from where I left off before bed and party with you guys. Every single day I am sadder than the previous day. I have faith in Hahn and company, but right now, I'm a pretty sad and pathetic excuse for a functioning member of society.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres