Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I want to say I'm done and that I'll stop checking this thread every 20 minutes, but I know better.  Even though deep down I know nothing is going to happen today, or even this weekend, I won't be able to turn away.  But this is getting ridiculous.  There are still many free agents out there, and I think teams are waiting on the first domino to fall with one or both of the big two to sign.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Lmao on the basis that he has the best chance of playing SS on the Sox than on the Yankees or Phillies since they added Tulo and Segura. Literally no mention of Anderson in that article.

Edited by soxfan2014

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Lmao on the basis that he has the best chance of playing SS on the Sox than on the Yankees or Phillies since they added Tulo and Segura. Literally no mention of Anderson in that article.

If he is dead set on SS I would look at Harper more seriously. SS isn't a need and Manny wouldn't be one for either other team anyways. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Playing three guys out of position just seems crazy to me.  I really don’t believe the SS issue is really even a thing.

I agree. It's not only crazy, it's foolish. Let's hope that it isn't really an issue. In any case, you would think that the topic would be discussed, before signing him. An infield of Machado at 3RD, T. A. at SS and either Moncada, or Madrigal at 2ND, could be defensively elite.

• Like 2

Today has got to be the day.  Machado’s agent doesn’t want to risk losing the Phillies to Harper, because then their market is suddenly the Sox and a “on our terms only” Yankees.  While the Phillies signing him tomorrow is incredibly unlikely, it’s within the realm of possibility they find a rough framework that creates optimism and causes them to shift their efforts to Harper.  Even that would be bad news for the Machado.  It really is time for Machado’s camp to put their cards on the table and say “first one to x” wins the race.  They really can’t afford to dick around much longer.

59 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It's due to their shitty markets. It truly is amazing that 2 star players have only like 2 serious suitors. But that's because everyone is at the start or a year into a rebuild or near the luxury tax.

Another factor is that there are 2 viable options. If there were only 1 option that teams were fighting over it would have escalated much faster and probably been done by now.  Although if it was just the Boras client, you never know.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @MattGelb: Phillies are hiring Bobby Dickerson as a coach to their big-league staff, sources confirm @masnRoch. Dickerson is a mentor to Manny Machado from their Baltimore days. Interesting development. This @danconnolly2016 story explains their close relationship: https://t.co/34mQ9RPMWd

Brother in Law and workout buddy trumps Orioles coach. I hope. 

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @MattGelb: Phillies are hiring Bobby Dickerson as a coach to their big-league staff, sources confirm @masnRoch. Dickerson is a mentor to Manny Machado from their Baltimore days. Interesting development. This @danconnolly2016 story explains their close relationship: https://t.co/34mQ9RPMWd

Jeez.  This has gone full blown college basketball recruiting. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Brother in Law and workout buddy trumps Orioles coach. I hope. 

You would think (and hope). Really wish the Sox would just open up the checkbook and get this over with. With the Phillies signing, I starting to think the Sox going out and getting Alonso and Jay was done closer to a whim than knowing how it would influence Manny. Makes me nervous, but I’d still go Sox as the favorite right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah but the White Sox are embarrassing!

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anyone hear this? 

I did, nothing much new here.  He is cautiously optimistic for the Sox, thinks the 200M was a preliminary offer and that the Sox are mostly focused on Machado although Harper is still a possibility.  Also kept saying that the Yankees haven't bid and they could come in and pay if/when they want to

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres