Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chances are if you can play SS in the major leagues, you can probably play a number of positions. It's not a 100% lock, but a pretty good chance.

He didn't play SS, but Craig Biggio was a catcher and outfielder before he became a 2B then he went back to the OF full time, before returning to 2B, and he made the HOF. . Robin Yount moved to CF. Tim Raines was a 2B. 

Trea Turner is another recent example.  A couple of years ago he moved from short to CF without a hitch.

24 minutes ago, shipps said:

If I remember correctly weren’t the Sox the ones who floated the idea of moving Moncada to third next year? They had to do that with the knowledge that they might acquire Machado in the off season. I just can’t remember if it was just speculation or if Moncada confirmed they floated that idea?....

The idea of Moncada moving to third was floated around for when Madrigal is ready. Had nothing to do with Machado.

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think we have to let this play out before we judge Manny.  This is the age of the athlete calling the shots if they have enough status.  Lebron, Antonio Brown and Jimmy Butler are a few examples where the team did not come first.  If Manny is upfront and says SS is his desire, then the GM needs to determine if he is worth the disruption.  If the Phillies and Sox are the finalists and both say 3B or nothing, then Manny may have to fins another "cheaper" option

That's fair. If he were that determined to play SS and perhaps devalue his services, up front, that's fine. Then the GM could say; "Well, then here is the best that we can offer you." It's probably more a case of him using this as a ploy, in order to demand additional money, if the team wants him to play 3RD. It would really be more than a mere "disruption". If Manny were the SS, he could potentially weaken 2 defensive positions. It would diminish the defense at both 3RD and SS, versus T. A. at SS and Machado at 3RD. Again, they could have a Gold Glover at 3RD, SS and 2ND, if Machado agreed to play his best position.

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Next thing we are going to see is the Whitesox hiring that high school coach as part of Renteria’s staff to try and trump the Phillies hiring 😂

"I see you guys have a need at SS. Manny Machado is a perfect fit! The Yankees signed a guy who is 34-years old, past his prime, and has only played 66 games the past 2 years, including 0 last season. They clearly wouldn't be able to make him fit."

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

The idea of Moncada moving to third was floated around for when Madrigal is ready. Had nothing to do with Machado.

I understand that but who floated the idea? Was it Sox brass? If it was they should have had floated it with the foresight that Machado might be a part of this thing. They have been looking to this offseason and hopefully signing him for over a year now. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

That's how I felt yesterday. Didn't check from 12-3:30 in the afternoon and then didn't check from about 5:30-8:30 last night.

I have to admit the thread last night between 5:30 till I went to bed was really quiet, I was hoping when I woke up this morning there’d be a signing 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Let's let Madrigal get past A ball before we start moving people for him

Madrigal wasn’t overwhelmingly good in his short stint down there so far I don’t believe either. Not sure where all the momentum has come of him being up in the bigs anytime soon. 

Just now, shipps said:

I understand that but who floated the idea? Was it Sox brass? If it was they should have had floated it with the foresight that Machado might be a part of this thing. They have been looking to this offseason and hopefully signing him for over a year now. 

As far as I know the idea originated here at Soxtalk just before the draft when it became more clear the Sox would likely draft Madrigal. It wasn't until recently the Sox have said they would be willing to move Moncada to third. The idea of moving Moncada to third goes against the idea of signing Machado. They are not in the least bit related.

1 minute ago, shipps said:

Madrigal wasn’t overwhelmingly good in his short stint down there so far I don’t believe either. Not sure where all the momentum has come of him being up in the bigs anytime soon. 

His hit tool and his defensive ability at second base are why he will move quickly. 

If they somehow manage to get Adley as well, you can pretty much guarantee the Sox will go after the Oregon State ex-manager as a consultant.  

Pat Casey just resigned at age 60 after the College World Series.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2018/09/live_video_updates_pat_casey_e.html

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

He hit over .300 in Low-A and High-A. He wasn’t drafted for power. He was drafted to hit atop the lineup and get on base. I think we can see Madrigal this year because in his short stint in the minors, he has done that so far.

Rather than trade Madrigal prematurely, you could do what the actual good clubs do, and utilize this player with great baseball IQ around the diamond and just have 4 great players when they would have only had 3. Madrigal is great because he can accommodate you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

When do you think the last time he actually talked to his HS coach was? And he's basing his opinion on which team needs a SS and he clealy doesn't know the White Sox well enough to know who Tim Anderson is and that he plays SS. Everyone calm down. 

Yes, you would think with the teams he visited, he isn't going to play SS for the Yankees, he isn't going to play SS for the Phillies, and it's probably better off for the White Sox if he plays 3B. 

So I would think if the White Sox said you can play SS if you like, this would have been done by now if SS is the dealmaker some claim.  Maybe it is, but the evidence right now is contradicting that.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Rather than trade Madrigal prematurely, you could do what the actual good clubs do, and utilize this player with great baseball IQ around the diamond and just have 4 great players when they would have only had 3. Madrigal is great because he can accommodate you.

True. He can be like a Zobrist-type player. Every day utility player giving guys rest.

“I don’t think they need to go out and get Harper and Machado,” Ryan Howard said. “If you miss out, that’s not the worst thing. Because there’s a guy named Mike Trout — who I believe has season Eagles tickets — who’s there every week … Build your roster, build your team up to where you can go make a run at Trout if you’ve got that stupid money, and you’re looking to drop it."

http://www.philly.com/phillies/ryan-howard-phillies-mlb-network-espn-bryce-harper-manny-machado-20190109.html

Just now, caulfield12 said:

“I don’t think they need to go out and get Harper and Machado,” Ryan Howard said. “If you miss out, that’s not the worst thing. Because there’s a guy named Mike Trout — who I believe has season Eagles tickets — who’s there every week … Build your roster, build your team up to where you can go make a run at Trout if you’ve got that stupid money, and you’re looking to drop it."

http://www.philly.com/phillies/ryan-howard-phillies-mlb-network-espn-bryce-harper-manny-machado-20190109.html

The whole league would be in on a player like Trout. Now is the time to nab a premium free agent with limited competition for them

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres