Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

This is just plainly false. Among qualified hitters he wouldn't have even lead (or finished last?) the major leagues in GB%. Ian Desmond, Eric Hosmer, Jon Jay(!), and Jonathan Villar all had higher ground ball rates than Madrigal did last year in the minors. If you drop the PAs to 170, which Madrigal would have qualified for he drops to 13th just ahead of Dee Gordon.

Looking at the list of the highest ground ball rates is not exactly a who's who of the best hitters in baseball, but Lorenzo Cain, Juan Soto, and Christian Yelich all had 50% ground ball rates. Madrigal's 55.4% coming off a broken wrist in his first taste of pro ball isn't alarming to me.

Ok, there's a trick here now that I'm only just catching - ESPN is using a Gb/FB rate that includes line drives as air outs, while MLB.com is not including line drives as air outs.

HOWEVER, MILB.com is unclear on which it is using. If MILB is successfully breaking out line drives for A ball players, then you're right, and Madrigal's #s are poor but not the worst in the league. I didn't  catch this beforehand. BUT - if MILB.com's statistics are lumping together anything hit in the air, including line drives, as air outs, then the # being reported by MILB.com would compare correctly to the big league number reported by ESPN, not to the number reported by MLB.com that has subtracted out line drives.

If I had to guess - a traditional score table from an A ball game will show ground balls versus anything in the air, but will not break out line drives. I could darn well be wrong on this, but I did not catch this previously and MILB.com doesn't say whether their air outs # has included line drives or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Will do once the  FO makes a commensurate trade to the Sox advantage, or once the FO clears out.

Quintana for Eloy and Cease looks awfully lopsided, but I doubt you'll give them credit for that.

I've never wanted a prospect to fail more than Tatis.  I think he's going to be a good player, but he does have major strike out concerns.  I think he's very likely he struggles a ton in the majors in the early going, not too dissimilar from Moncada. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, there's a trick here now that I'm only just catching - ESPN is using a Gb/FB rate that includes line drives as air outs, while MLB.com is not including line drives as air outs.

HOWEVER, MILB.com is unclear on which it is using. If MILB is successfully breaking out line drives for A ball players, then you're right, and Madrigal's #s are poor but not the worst in the league. I didn't  catch this beforehand. BUT - if MILB.com's statistics are lumping together anything hit in the air, including line drives, as air outs, then the # being reported by MILB.com would compare correctly to the big league number reported by ESPN, not to the number reported by MLB.com that has subtracted out line drives.

If I had to guess - a traditional score table from an A ball game will show ground balls versus anything in the air, but will not break out line drives. I could darn well be wrong on this, but I did not catch this previously and MILB.com doesn't say whether their air outs # has included line drives or not.

I used fangraphs for what it's worth.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Quintana for Eloy and Cease looks awfully lopsided, but I doubt you'll give them credit for that.

I've never wanted a prospect to fail more than Tatis.  I think he's going to be a good player, but he does have major strike out concerns.  I think he's very likely he struggles a ton in the majors in the early going, not too dissimilar from Moncada. 

A man can only hope. But seriously, he seems like a good kid, so whatever team he´s playing at I wish him the best.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

This thread sucks this morning. More Machado less Tatis plz.

I agree, let’s keep non Machado stuff out of this thread. If you want to talk music or Tatis or anything else, I think another thread or PM is more appropriate. I’m rather new but that’s my two cents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Q was a bad trade for the Cubs.  They overpaid.
Tatis was an absolutely horrendous trade for the White Sox.   Much worse in degree.   Shields should have been nothing but a salary dump for an org guy.

It's not worse to a degree because both teams are still waiting for the player(s) in the minors to impact the major leagues, Eloy and Cease are both a lot closer than Tatis

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres