Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Or who's to say Machado doesn't say screw it and I'll just sign a 1 year $35 million deal for a team of my choice.  Try Free Agency again next season.    

That would be insane. He'd be leaving $300 million on the table. I could see Harper going back to Washington for 1 year at $50 mil or something, since Boras is his agent and seems to like high stakes poker. But realistically, the market won't be any better for them next year. The Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers are still going to have no openings and/or no money to spend.

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

I will say, if the Yankees trade Andujar for that SP that they need I will be pretty sure they are getting Manny again. LOL

This roller coaster ride is not over until it comes to a complete stop and we all get off sick. 

Right now their rotation is Severino, Paxton, Tanaka, Happ, Sabathia, Gray. They're currently 6 deep. They've been iffy on if they'll trade Gray given medical issues on Paxton, Tanaka, annd Sabathia, but even if they did they still have a full-ish rotation.

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

That would be insane. He'd be leaving $300 million on the table. I could see Harper going back to Washington for 1 year at $50 mil or something, since Boras is his agent and seems to like high stakes poker. But realistically, the market won't be any better for them next year. The Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers are still going to have no openings and/or no money to spend.

He's not getting that $300 million deal.    At least not with the two teams that remain in pursuit.  

"There's no downside for the Machado camp to hold out until someone meets their price, they don't have to agree to the best offer until February. "

Actually, I think there is.  If Philly meets with Harper Saturday and flash the "stupid money" ($350mm+++) and Harper bites (unlikely perhaps, but who knows...), Manny suddenly runs out of deep pocket suitors to play off each other and create a faux 'bidding war'.  Suddenly, Machado's leverage is gone and his best reasonable offer will likely be the WSox package. 

It becomes a game of Chicken - who blinks first, Manny or the WSox to finally pin him down and sell some SoxFest and Season Tix?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly? I think we're at a stalemate perhaps for the next couple weeks. There's no downside for the Machado camp to hold out until someone meets their price, they don't have to agree to the best offer until February.

Harper looming for the Phillies would be a pretty huge downside.

1 minute ago, bruni said:

"There's no downside for the Machado camp to hold out until someone meets their price, they don't have to agree to the best offer until February. "

Actually, I think there is.  If Philly meets with Harper Saturday and flash the "stupid money" ($350mm+++) and Harper bites (unlikely perhaps, but who knows...), Manny suddenly runs out of deep pocket suitors to play off each other and create a faux 'bidding war'.  Suddenly, Machado's leverage is gone and his best reasonable offer will likely be the WSox package. 

It becomes a game of Chicken - who blinks first, Manny or the WSox to finally pin him down and sell some SoxFest and Season Tix?

This is a really good post with the Yankees presumably out of it.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

He's not getting that $300 million deal.    At least not with the two teams that remain in pursuit.  

Okay, he's leaving at least $250 million on the table then. And if he has a bad injury this year, he's then playing for maybe $10 mil next year to rebuild his value and hoping to hit the market again in a year Kris Bryant will be available. It would be super risky, and like I said, the huge spending teams would be out still.

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

Okay, he's leaving at least $250 million on the table then. And if he has a bad injury this year, he's then playing for maybe $10 mil next year to rebuild his value and hoping to hit the market again in a year Kris Bryant will be available. It would be super risky, and like I said, the huge spending teams would be out still.

Even if he gets hurt I think he gets more than $10 million.  Donaldson signed for over $20 million and he's part glass now.    

3 minutes ago, bruni said:

This is very good. I don't know if the Phillies would want to sign both, but I think if the Sox signed one, they go back to the other with their most recent deal (not the highest they would go) and say "We're leaving this out here for you. Final offer if you want to join, too." One of these guys sign and the market for the other collapses, baring the Dodgers really deciding to get in on Harper.

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

Even if he gets hurt I think he gets more than $10 million.  Donaldson signed for over $20 million and he's part glass now.    

I'm talking about a catastrophic injury. But regardless, that's still only $20 mil and he's not signing a $300 mil deal next year if he is coming off an injury. So he's going 1-year again and kicking the can down the road further on the mega deal.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres