Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Sockin said:

Which should never have been Manny. The Yankees lineup is already stacked, Manny wasn't going to push them past the Red Sox. They still need pitching. 

True but I can see the discussion of how often a p,ayer of this caliber comes along.  They could sign him and trade Torres for pitching.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Apparently he said that weeks ago. But I also could have sworn I read other reporters say it.

I mean that's been common knowledge throughout this process. He's starting to turn into Dan Clark but with actual sources. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gr8Scott said:

So do you guys think that we will hear anything about the Sox signing Manny by the weekend?  

Today is my birthday and it would be a pretty damn awesome birthday present to have that announcement lol

Honestly, no.

And happy birthday.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

There's no way the Phillies could possibly sign both Machado and Harper, right?

The issue with the market coming to earth a bit on high price FA is that they (or us) could probably afford both. I think its way more likely now than it was 2 weeks ago. I'm of the opinion that the Sox need to move on one of these guys now in case the Phillies "stupid money" comes to play. 

Edited by Sockin

Just now, Peacock Wrestler said:

Dave doesn't say something unless he hears it from a reliable source.  He'll say whether or not  its legit or just an opinion.    Dave is nowhere near Dan Clark right now.  

I mean they are both in the sort of asshole/douche club but Dave has actual sources. 

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Could say the same about the Sox. It doesn't seem likely for any team to give out two of the hugest deals in baseball in one offseason.

Yeah, but the Phillies payroll is about $50 mil higher than the Sox before any signing. It's unlikely for the Sox, but it's insane for the Phillies.

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Could say the same about the Sox. It doesn't seem likely for any team to give out two of the hugest deals in baseball in one offseason.

If the Sox get one and they get one, that's fine with me. But the Sox not getting either of them after all this is my absolute worst nightmare. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Manny has to be waiting on the this Phillies meeting with Harper.   It would be dumb for him not to. 

Sox fans have to hope Phillies are able to make the Harper deal happen this weekend. 

I disagree.  I think it would be very unwise for Manny to wait until the Phillies/Harper meeting.  If John Middleton refuses to leave that meeting without Harper's signature on a contract, then Manny may be left with only the White Sox.  It always seemed unlikely to me that the Phillies would seriously try to sign both.  If Manny is willing to sign today, though, he could probably get the Sox to bump their offer one more year.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I disagree.  I think it would be very unwise for Manny to wait until the Phillies/Harper meeting.  If John Middleton refuses to leave that meeting without Harper's signature on a contract, then Manny may be left with only the White Sox.  It always seemed unlikely to me that the Phillies would seriously try to sign both.  If Manny is willing to sign today, though, he could probably get the Sox to bump their offer one more year.

I wonder if the front office has dates in mind for bumping the offer. For example: "once it hits this date, we tell him we'll tack on another year if he signs today" type of thing. Obviously they have an idea of how high they are willing to go and I doubt they are anywhere near that yet.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres