Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

52 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

All other things aside, I believe KW/Hahn and GarPax are equally bad at their jobs.

Just like GarPax squandered Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler, KW and Hahn squandered Sale/Quintana/Abreu.

I could at the very least give GarPax a bit of a pass because Rose got injured. Nobody got injured with the Sox. They were just bad. Also, while the jury is still out on Madrigal, the Fulmer/Collins/Burdi/Burger picks look questionable at best, and that is being kind about it. 

You do realize having 3 great players on a 25 man roster isn’t a whole lot to work with compared to a much smaller rosters in the NBA, and that one league has a salary cap, the other has uncapped spending.

51 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You do realize having 3 great players on a 25 man roster isn’t a whole lot to work with compared to a much smaller rosters in the NBA, and that one league has a salary cap, the other has uncapped spending.

Of course, but it still doesn't change the fact they squandered them. Eaton was pretty damn good when he was here too. my gripe is that they'd always trade assets for one year rentals that sucked. They should have spent more money, or done a scorched earth rebuild way earlier. However, I think 5 years of that Sale contract is too valuable to trade. Idk if anyone would have given up the amount of value for what that contract was worth. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

It’s going to affect the next 8-10 years of his life, waiting two months to get every last penny and the exact situation he wants is nothing is the grand scheme of things. We are talking about 2 generational talents here, uncharted territory for whitesox fans I know but even JD Martinez did not sign until spring training started last year.

Well glad to see one person making sense.

The reality is neither you , I and anyone else here knows anything about being a young famous athlete who hires an agent to negotiate the most important monetary decision of his life. You should not put stock in anything anyone says. You should not grovel asking people for info that cannot possibly help you in any way.

There's absolutely no way to separate the wheat from the chaff. There are only ways to make you feel better or worse. Then you are pawns of every fake, prankster fraud and person that might have sources but the message gets twisted and misinterpreted  as it gets passed around or even before it gets passed around.

Will all this drivel make Machado or Harper sign where ever he signs  any faster ? You're all masochists !  I say that in the nicest way possible. Carry on torturing yourselves.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

of course, but it still doesn't change the fact they squandered them. Eaton was pretty damn good when he was here too. my gripe is that they'd always trade assets for one year rentals that sucked. They should have spent more money, or done a scorched earth rebuild way earlier. However, I think 5 years of that Sale contract is too valuable to trade. Idk if anyone would have given up the amount of value for what that contract was worth. 

The list literally stops after Eaton, there weren’t much else to work with, so I definitely won’t call it squandering.

And how did we negotiate the Sale or Quintana contract to begin with? Oh wait...

15 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I wish I was capable of not checking this thread all day.

Man, I wish I was capable of not checking this thread for about two weeks. I'd love the ability to log in on 28 January, and see two massive threads, starting to fade from the top, one announcing that Bryce Harper signs with the Pirates for $700 million AAV, and another announcing that Manny is going to play basketball in a professional league based in Sri Lanka. And I'll have entirely missed the roller coaster and mockery that starts when KathyGriffinsPenis breaks these rumors on Tumblr. My sanity will be somewhat in tact, because the truth will just...be.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The list literally stops after Eaton, there weren’t much else to work with, so I definitely won’t call it squandering.

And how did we negotiate the Sale or Quintana contract to begin with? Oh wait...

How many successful teams haven't been able to buy out at least 1~2 years of free agency with 3 or more of their younger players?

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn/KW deserve enormous praise for assembling such a good core, and they deserved to be fired for the inability to build anything resembling a contending team around it.

I won’t defend KW, but Hahn gets an incomplete grade for now, we will see how the pieces he put together with full reign pans out in 2 years.

And also in the context of KW/Hahn vs GarPax, I don’t think it’s close which is the worse dual.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I won’t defend KW, but Hahn gets an incomplete grade for now, we will see how the pieces he put together with full reign pans out in 2 years.

And also in the context of KW/Hahn vs GarPax, I don’t think it’s close which is the worse duo.

When it comes to job performance only, it is a contest. When it comes to being an asshole, douchey or whatever, GarPax takes the cake. The only thing that Hahn and KW have on GarPax is professionalism. They're all really bad at their job. 

17 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn/KW deserve enormous praise for assembling such a good core, and they deserved to be fired for the inability to build anything resembling a contending team around it.

That "Good core" of 3-4 players put up less WAR than the top 2 players on the Angels every single year it was here. 

That "Good core" of 3-4 players together each year put up less WAR than the left side of Cleveland's infield each of the last 2 years.  And that's without the F***ing cy young caliber pitchers. THAT's a good core. 

It was an OK core, not deserving of substantial praise. If that's your core, you're a mid-70s win team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I have been saying all along this rumor cycle things is just going to keep playing itself out forever and has a chance to get into Spring Training.

Yeah with the way this is going I don't think either are signing until 3-5 days before games start in Spring Training, so somewhere around Feb. 20th. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, KiwiSox said:

I have been saying all along this rumor cycle things is just going to keep playing itself out forever and has a chance to get into Spring Training.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it ends for Machado this week. It seems to finally be dying down and I don’t think Machados agent has much ammo left for posturing, hence the “mystery” team coming into the picture at the last minute. 

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it ends for Machado this week. It seems to finally be dying down and I don’t think Machados agent has much ammo left for posturing, hence the “mystery” team coming into the picture at the last minute. 

I know they have been quiet, but I think the Dodgers are the “mystery team” as the outsiders to resign Machado or sign Harper.  I think their trade was a big sign they are up to something.  Seager will be back, but I still wouldn’t rule Dodgers/Yankees out.  Too big...too strong.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When it comes to job performance only, it is a contest. When it comes to being an asshole, douchey or whatever, GarPax takes the cake. The only thing that Hahn and KW have on GarPax is professionalism. They're all really bad at their job. 

It’s not even close. Think of the last time last time Rick Hahn has made a good move, now think of the last the time Gar Forman has made one.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It’s not even close. Think of the last time last time Rick Hahn has made a good move, now think of the last the time Gar Forman has made one.

About the same time, I'd say the Butler trade was a good move, I'm not sure Hahn has made one since trading Quintana. The rest are all meh. Both were in June/July 2017. Hahn overpays a lot in trades. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres