Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

17 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Responding to your edit. It was just this time last year we were debating whether the Sox or Braves had the best farm in MLB, ONE YEAR into rebuild! HOW SOON DID THE FANS FORGET? I know we had some injury bugs in 2018 and fans like to be impatient, but besides Fulmer, 2018 didn’t show us any of those prospects woudl be flops long term. No, not yet.

And here we are now already comparing Rick Hahn to Gar Fucking Forman’s level of incompetence, give me a fucking break.

And typical Parkman pooping everywhere and expecting the worst outcome of of everything. Why aren’t you posting in NFL thread how Trubisky was a bust 3 weeks into this season.

I don't actually think that will happen. I still think that Moncada and Jimenez will be stars, and that our Rotation will end up being: 

Kopech/Cease/Giolito/Lopez/Rodon or Dunning. and they'll all be pretty damn good. 

I've always been pretty skeptical of Hahn/KW's talent eval. 

If what I posted about everyone flopping happens, I'd just laugh because it would be so White Sox. 

They had a lot of guys take a step back or get injured last year. 

Nobody knew just how broken Giolito was other than the Nationals, which is why they were willing to trade him in the first place. 

It will be interesting to see where the Sox farm is ranked this year. Kopech not graduating yet helps a lot. If you read the fangraphs guys they've soured on a lot of the Sox young players. Almost all have lost value since they acquired them, save for Eloy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've always been pretty skeptical of everything Chicago sports related

FIFY.

You need to have patience in prospect development, just as a few guys who took a hit on ranking (mostly due to injuries), a number of guys stepped forward. Fangraphs has only lowered ranking on a few of the guys, and I take their rankings with a grain of salt anyways.

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

FIFY.

You need to have patience in prospect development, just as a few guys who took a hit on ranking (mostly due to injuries), a number of guys stepped forward. Fangraphs has only lowered ranking on a few of the guys, and I take their rankings with a grain of salt anyways.

Dude you don't have to preach that to me. I'm the one who still thinks Giolito could be really good, LOL. With all of the guys that are up, the talent is there. It is just a matter of whether or not they put it together. I know it is a process. I don't actually think those things that I posted, I was just playing devil's advocate. 

I'm really high on Moncada, Giolito(despite the results: he's always been a project, otherwise he wouldn't have been available), Robert and Jimenez. Kopech answered all of the questions I had, but then blew out his elbow so we'll see. 

Out of all of the teams in Chicago, in terms of confidence I'd rank them: 

1. Bears

2. Sox

3. Hawks

(yes, I left the Bulls off on purpose, as I have zero confidence in them) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Can't say we have good news today. Reports seem to be pushing that Philly has 'stupid money' and will come away with at least one of the two.

I really want both, but obviously will accept one to us and one to the phillies.

I seriously hope that the White Sox front office is putting up the money. If they fail to get Machado it's over. 

50 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Only if you’re using the inferior WAR stats. Lindor/Ramirez was only 12.4 in 2017 and 15.6 in 2018. The core of Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu was 17.3 in 2016. 

Their 2 best players were comparable to our best 4 players combined and people defend that as a strong core.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dude you don't have to preach that to me. I'm the one who still thinks Giolito could be really good, LOL. With all of the guys that are up, the talent is there. It is just a matter of whether or not they put it together. I know it is a process. I don't actually think those things that I posted, I was just playing devil's advocate. 

I'm really high on Moncada, Giolito(despite the results: he's always been a project, otherwise he wouldn't have been available), Robert and Jimenez. Kopech answered all of the questions I had, but then blew out his elbow so we'll see. 

Point is Hahn has done at least a decent job during this rebuild putting together this core. But his job is on the line for this and he knows it. If majority of the top guys flop in 2 years, he’s as good as gone. That’s the worse case scenario, however I think it’s just as likely we are a playoff team in 2020. So for now all the talk of comparing Hahn to Forman is just flat out nonsense.

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Point is Hahn has done at least a decent job during this rebuild putting together this core. But his job is on the line for this and he knows it. If majority of the top guys flop in 2 years, he’s as good as gone. That’s the worse case scenario, however I think it’s just as likely we are a playoff team in 2020. So for now all the talk of comparing Hahn to Forman is just flat out nonsense.

Honestly? I'll believe it if I see it.

8 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

The comparison was based on the 2015-16 clownshow that was the White Sox. How quickly we all forget. I just wasn't sure the FO that oversaw that mess should have been allowed to rebuild this team. It isn't my choice, so I accept this and Hahn has done an ok job. Not happy with Hostetler's drafts so far. Madrigal and the 2019 1st Rounder need to hit because I don't expect much, if anything from the 2015-17 guys. Out of the 1st 2 picks from then, I don't really expect anything out of anyone, but MAYBE Hansen can still turn it around. I'm about ready to write off Fulmer, Collins and probably Burger. Burdi is a complete wildcard pending his velocity coming back or not in ST. If Burdi is still topping at 94mph, I don't expect anything from him either. 

If you asked this question in August 2016 it would have been a LOT closer. The Sox were a mess then. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Their 2 best players were comparable to our best 4 players combined and people defend that as a strong core.

I think the word used was good, Indians duo is an elite one. Considering most playoff teams are at around 40 WAR. Having 4 players accounting for 43% of that target isn’t bad by any means.

36 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I think Hahn is a smart guy. I think he understands development and scouting were an issue with this org. I feel his hands seem tied at times. I think KW still thinks he's the gm. I might be biased cause I think Kenny is an arrogant baffon who's cashed in mightly on 05. And to this day I really believe hawk pushed the AJ signing.  Any other org he probably would be gone. I think there's a few people

Is it just me or does anyone else get a kick out of the misspelling of words that basically call people idiots, e,g. baffon  instead of buffoon or dum rather than dumb ?

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The comparison was based on the 2015-16 clownshow that was the White Sox. How quickly we all forget. I just wasn't sure the FO that oversaw that mess should have been allowed to rebuild this team. It isn't my choice, so I accept this and Hahn has done an ok job. Not happy with Hostetler's drafts so far. Madrigal and the 2019 1st Rounder need to hit because I don't expect much, if anything from the 2015-17 guys. 

If you asked this question in August 2016 it would have been a LOT closer. The Sox were a mess then. 

We aren’t in 2016, and we have made some franchise altering moves since then. But we should ignore the last 2 years (a period in which we could see Hahn being given more power) to fit your narrative? I think we are good to end this right here.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think the word used was good, Indians duo is an elite one. Considering most playoff teams are at around 40 WAR. Having 4 players accounting for 43% of that target isn’t bad by any means.

Pick your team, 15 fWAR out of 4 players is not really anything. The Mariners got nearly 16 from their top 4 last year. Last years' Rays got 14.3 from their top 4. Last year's Diamondbacks got 15.3 out of their top 3 players. It's acceptable, it's nothing special.

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The comparison was based on the 2015-16 clownshow that was the White Sox. How quickly we all forget. I just wasn't sure the FO that oversaw that mess should have been allowed to rebuild this team. It isn't my choice, so I accept this and Hahn has done an ok job. Not happy with Hostetler's drafts so far. Madrigal and the 2019 1st Rounder need to hit because I don't expect much, if anything from the 2015-17 guys. Out of the 1st 2 picks from then, I don't really expect anything out of anyone, but MAYBE Hansen can still turn it around. I'm about ready to write off Fulmer, Collins and probably Burger. Burdi is a complete wildcard pending his velocity coming back or not in ST. If Burdi is still topping at 94mph, I don't expect anything from him either. 

How can you write off a guy who hasn't even played above A-ball let alone a full season? Fulmer - ok, there's an argument there. Even Collins you could say has been disappointing (but there are plenty of things to like there too). But Burger hasn't even had a chance to show what he's capable yet in a full season.

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

How can you write off a guy who hasn't even played above A-ball let alone a full season? Fulmer - ok, there's an argument there. Even Collins you could say has been disappointing (but there are plenty of things to like there too). But Burger hasn't even had a chance to show what he's capable yet in a full season.

With the level of injury he suffered last year, and the amount of missed time, you gotta at least be skeptical.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres