Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I envy you right now.  Have to decide if it’s worth getting less than six hours of sleep on the off-chance something breaks tonight.  Giving it another 30 minutes at least.

I don't think it will break tonight IMHO. You should get some rest. If Manny's getting low balled  it still might be a while.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

That seems to me like a late call to Bob from the Sox to get everyone to STFU about offers

Yeah, it really seems like Machado’s camp leaked the Sox’s latest offer and Sox are using to go-to guy to put out the fire.  The fact this is all happening this late at night should be eye-opening in regards to how close a deal just may be.

Just now, Tony said:

I’d be SHOCKED if a national reporter doesn’t scoop the Sox. We very rarely see a team beat the national guys anymore. 

But when a team does beat the national guys, it's the White Sox.

That said, I don't think this is happening today

There's no way that this gets done until Harper decides what to do with the Phillies' offer.   And if you're Lozano, you're praying they can still up the White Sox bid to at least $275 million or so...

If you're the White Sox, though, why would you NOW raise your $240-250 million unless/until you absolutely have to?

The only pressure on the White Sox is time, but certainly not 24 vs. 48 vs. 72 hours.

The Phillies are the team on the hot seat chasing Harper but they can't do so in a fashion that completely alienates the Machado camp (as your fallback option).

Edited by caulfield12

I don’t feel confident as everyone else is that this will be ending soon. Seeing the Machado camp leak the 8 years /250 to try to stir up some competition.  And seeing the Sox leak 7 yrs and shoot that claim right down.  

This maybe could really drag on awhile with Machado’s camp really pushing for 300 territory and the Sox digging in their heels.   I could see another week or 2-3 weeks of this.  I hope its over when I wake up tomorrow.  Doubt it.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-bryce-harper-manny-machado-gets-10-year-deals-depends-ask-005226939.html

https://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-rumors-phillies-bryce-harper-contract-coming-manny-machado-interest-remains-2751791

While Machado has an offer on the table from the Phillies, it still remains unclear if they made Harper an official offer on Saturday. But according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, an offer will soon be made as the Philadelphia franchise are now the clear-cut favorites to land the right-fielder over the Washington Nationals, who are the only team to thus far make an offer.

Phillies owner Middleton has previously revealed that his team could spend a "stupid" amount of money this offseason to land their preferred targets and he seemed to be quite enamored with Harper after Saturday’s meeting. But he indicated that this meeting was all about getting to know each other rather than discussing terms of a potential deal.

"We got to understand the man," Middleton told 6ABC about Harper, as quoted on MLB.com. "We got to understand what he'd be like in the dugout, the clubhouse and the community. He and his wife are really an impressive young couple."

"It was really impressive to spend some time with him, get to know him better, answer his questions, and we got to ask some questions, learn about him, and I think that's a really important step in any negotiation is kind of understanding what the other party is looking for. And now we'll see where it takes us," general manager Klentak added.

Twas the night before Machado, when all through the thread;

Not a poster was stirring, they'd all gone to bed.

Bob Nightengale with his smoke and the local news stations;

Had prepped all us Sox fans for more negotiations.

When out of the blue there arose such a clatter.

I went straight to my news feed to see what was the matter.

I searched for Machado and sorted by top.

Excited and nervous to see what would drop.

When to my wondering eyes did appear?

But $250 million for a term of eight years!

With a crafty, young GM so lively and quick;

I knew in a moment he must be Saint Rick.

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word but went straight to work.

And as the contract was signed, he gave me a smirk.

He sprang back to the Rate, to his team gave a whistle.

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight;

Merry Machado to all, and to all a good night!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 8

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres