Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Here is where both camps seemed to maybe misread something...we shall see... the luxury tax has taken the big guys out (assuming yanks, nats, dodgers, and cubs are in fact out) then there are the rebuilders that aren't looking to take on these guys at this time.

Then there is the fact there are two of them available.  If one guy is out there then you can bid and drive up price with two not so much.

Teams like the Cardinals, Padres, that may have been involved but were not interested at $300M may circle back as could the luxury tax folks if (1) Harper had no deal on the table and (2) Machado's deal was sitting at 7/$210M until it was more recently driven up.

The Sox seem to have put something out there on each and teams just are not driving the price up.  If the Sox now determine that the process is not working for them and pull out on both, the market tumbles for both and maybe that is where the process could head. 

3 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

There is a history of "Mystery Teams".  Cano and the Mariners, Pujols and the Angels, ARod and the Rangers, etc.  People did not see those teams as destinations.  Now, general theme to those three listed, BAD.  Overpaid and two didn't finish with the teams they signed with.

I agree with you on the social media leaks, but I don't think you can immeadietly discount it.  Especially if numbers aren't as high as originally thought.  A team could have jumped in the last 48 hours and nobody would know.  It has been eerily quiet, in regards to the number of teams, for a 26 year old with big numbers.

If I was Hahn, I wouldn't bank on a mystery team during negotiations, but it has to be in your mind somewhere.

I admittedly can't remember the circumstances around those three players and whether those teams came out of nowhere at the end to sign them.  I agree it's possible in Manny's case.  But I think it's very unlikely.  The luxury tax threshold has changed things and, as others have alluded to, front offices really need to plan for these type of contracts well in advance these days.

I think people are claiming this offer isn't as high as originally expected because they are looking at the $250 million number.  But the AAV of $31.25 is still very high.  I don't think teams are going to look at this offer (assuming it's true) and say, "Wow, Manny is only going for $250...let's jump in!"  I think they are going to look at the $31 million per year and say, "Yeah, I don't think we can add more than $31 million to our yearly payroll.  If they were willing to do that, they would have been in the mix a month ago.

Just now, JoshPR said:

After the torii hunter fiasco I don't trust anything

Yeah I think its just rare for the Sox to have so much smoke around them and then have a deal completed. Only time I can think of something like that happening is with Samardzija and that was a trade. 

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Only those two? I wouldn’t count out Luis Gonzalez. I think he could quietly become the best out of that group (outside of Eloy). Basabe theoretically should be the next OF on deck after Eloy comes up, but I’ve always considered him more of a 4th OF once the Sox are contending. 

While he has nothing that jumps off an screams superstar, I am going to say he has the highest floor of all of the OFs not named Eloy.  He also has across the board very good tools, and really isn't a guy with a large hole in him game so far.  He feels like a guy that will have a 10-12 year solid career.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

While he has nothing that jumps off an screams superstar, I am going to say he has the highest floor of all of the OFs not named Eloy.  He also has across the board very good tools, and really isn't a guy with a large hole in him game so far.  He feels like a guy that will have a 10-12 year solid career.

I think this may be true but I'm going to hold out judgment on him until he proves himself in AA. He's had the least challenging path of all of our outfielders so far.

4 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

For the attorneys out there, can you lie during negotiations about a mystery offer?  I know in my line of business, you can not.  I mean, ethics still exists, right?  Credibility?

My dad was a lawyer, and he told me the only time it was OK to lie was during negotiations.

IMHO the opt-out(s) will decide if these are team friendly or player friendly deals.  Until those leak I'm not sure anyone knows if the market is less than expected on Harpchado.  8/250 could be a monster offer if front loaded with multiple player opt-outs.  

1 minute ago, RudyLawRules said:

If true, the balls that Rick Hahn has are huge.    Good for him.  The Sox have a long history of leaking to Nightengale.  

MHO, Machado wants to play for the Sox.  If the Sox have not adjusted their initial offer, they know this.  Machado and his agent want more money and I don't blame them.  However, the Sox must know the market. 

The Sox would have been eliminated or adjust their offer, if this wasn't the case.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres