Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Soxman72 said:

People know that Nightengale is the mouthpiece of the Sox.  There is history to show this.  It's not Rosenthal, Passan, or any other national guy. 

Levine either still has a Sox source or knows this about Nightengale.  I believe Levine needs to retire and he knows the relationship between the Sox and Nightengale. 

It's the Sox way of keeping information accurate, so they are not bidding against themselves or having another team throw "stupid money" at the player, that the Sox can not compete with.

If this is true, then the Sox aren't getting either guy and they should already move Hahn into witness protection and cancel Soxfest. Fans will be out with their torches and pitchforks, and will be throwing vegetables at Hahn should he take the podium. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

Bruce hasn't been respectable, in regards to breaking news, in years. Levine and Nightengale are getting their info from the Sox to try and drum down prices while Passan is doing the opposite for the Machado camp. It's pretty obvious at this point.

This is what we all said when Bruce and Bob immediately shot down the Passan report that the Sox were going to go 10+ years. 

I think Bruce is being WAY too solid with his statements not allowing for wiggle room though

35 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Yeah I think its just rare for the Sox to have so much smoke around them and then have a deal completed. Only time I can think of something like that happening is with Samardzija and that was a trade. 

But with a player of Machado's stature, there was always going to be smoke nationally. He's a 26 year-old on a path to the HOF and he very well might get $300 million when it's all said and done. When you're talking about a deal this big, it's a lot harder to keep things in-house, as more people want details. That's way beyond signing a 32 year-old Torii Hunter. Don't be discouraged by it.

I still don't believe that the feeding of information from agents and teams to the media has that much influence.  If the Phillies and Yankees are still in on Machado, do we really think that they're going to make a decision on an offer based on Nightengale saying the Sox are only offering 7/$200M?

Just now, mqr said:

This is what we all said when Bruce and Bob immediately shot down the Passan report that the Sox were going to go 10+ years. 

I think Bruce is being WAY too solid with his statements not allowing for wiggle room though

It’s 8/250, I believe Passan and Gomez as they aren’t the types to get used for leverage. What they report tends to be accurate. I find it funny that Bruce is saying it could be 7/175. That’s just so much worse to the point where you know he’s getting bad info. 

All I know is this is reaching a level of stupidity I didn't think it could reach.

It's evident what is going on but why this is continuing to drag out & now be front and center within the media, is beyond me. 

All Bob & Bruce are doing is pissing fans off with false info controlled by the Sox. I tend to believe Passan & Gomez much more in this situation.

• Love 1

Just now, Princess Dye said:

machado and harper would not both be on the same team at the end of this, for several reasons-- but chiefly-- that Boras will not share one cent more than he has to (from the same team) with a superstar player that isnt his

but if Harper doesn't want to live in Philly, ultimately he has to decide that. He LOVES chicago and his buddy Bryant, and no way Machado's wife is going to want Philly....so at least that is one interesting part to this. Philly living is very lame compared to NY or Chicago. 

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stop yourself there.  Kopech was not injured because of his throwing schedule. 

If he was shut down after the milb season, or at most on a off season throwing schedule, it's likely it wouldn't have happened. Would it have happened later? Maybe but then we wouldn't have lost a year of control. 

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I kind of agree, it is pretty serious if its the best offer to date.  Spring training is now less than a month away.  No reason to pay the man $300M if you can get him for $220M. 

I just pray that the mystery team doesn't swoop in and sign him and take him away from us.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

If this is true, then the Sox aren't getting either guy and they should already move Hahn into witness protection and cancel Soxfest. Fans will be out with their torches and pitchforks, and will be throwing vegetables at Hahn should he take the podium.

Huh?  I believe they are very much in the game because of leaking info to Nightengale.  The last thing they want are crazy fake numbers getting out to the fans, agents, and other franchises. 

I will save my opinions on success and/or failure for after we see the players sign

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Youre not going to get him for $220.

This the problem with the Yankees waiting in the weeds. They could easily give Machado 2 years $70mil if they want and then Machado hits FA again at 28. 

Lol, Machado isn't taking 2/$70M over 7/$220M.  

2 minutes ago, toasty said:

If he was shut down after the milb season, or at most on a off season throwing schedule, it's likely it wouldn't have happened. Would it have happened later? Maybe but then we wouldn't have lost a year of control. 

Imagine the scenario where the White Sox go into this offseason thinking that because they have Kopech they have a much stronger rotation this year. Maybe they still trade for Nova to cover innings at the back end, but now they're thinking that Kopech is going to lead that rotation and then they sign Machado and think they're right there with the Indians...and then Kopech's arm goes out in April or May. Now he's rehabbing until the middle part of 2020, all the beautiful plans to have a solid rotation in 2019 implode, and we still waste a year of control.

You could have timed it better if you knew it was coming, but you could also have timed it worse.

1 minute ago, toasty said:

There was zero chance that Michael Kopech was getting shutdown without an injury to go to AAA a 3rd time in 2019, with any honest ability at all to try to claim that it was performance related and not control related.  The Sox would have rightfully had a grievance filed against them, and probably would have lost the year of control anyway.

This would have also put Kopech behind in an attempt to grow his innings as he had thrown 134 in 2017, but only 126 in 2018.  This was counter to the desire to push him up to 150/160 innings to get him ready for a full major league season.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres