Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, Machado isn't taking 2/$70M over 7/$220M.  

I think youre wrong.

If he takes 2/70. All he needs on the back end is 5/150 to hit the 7/220 mark. 

7/220 is under market, and the only way his agent will let him take it is if there is an opt out in year 2 or 3.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

In what must be extremely frustrating to Lozano, it's possible that Hahn has read this market perfectly -- that the Yankees were never seriously involved, that the Phillies true target has always been Harper (and they weren't going to make a play for both guys), and no "mystery team" was even going to come in for $200 mil -- and Hahn has stuck to his guns instead of panicking and raising the offer.  We as fans may be underestimating how much Machado's johnny hustle comments and perceived dirty play during the postseason really hurt his value.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

7/220 is under market, and the only way his agent will let him take it is if there is an opt out in year 2 or 3.

Under market?  Do you know what that term means and how to apply it in context?  If the Sox offer is the best currently, that's market value.

• Like 2

I still don’t understand the payoff of back-and-forth rumors of years/$ on twitter... at a certain point, wouldn’t the best way for a free agent to get a better offer be for them to literally tell other teams what the best offer was, so that they could top it, and then go back to the first team with the exact offer of the new high-bidder, etc.? Rather than have multiple teams vaguely guessing?

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

If the current market is any indication, we might be at a point where free agent prices are dropping, which would mean the best time to sign is now.  

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

I don't think he is signing for 7/$220 either (more like 8/$280M), but no person in their right mind is leaving $150M on the table. Its not happening.  Crazy shit happens.  He could have a career ending injury.  He isn't leaving that kind of money on the table.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That doesn't change the fact that what Bruce and Bob are reporting, is, in fact, an insulting offer. 

The White Sox could win four consecutive World Series and you would still be mad. 

No one here should take that opinion seriously.

Just now, Princess Dye said:

7/220 makes sense if we are being generous re: the opt outs.  I'm not shocked about Levine/Nightengale's tweets b/c Machado's suitor list is tiny

If the offer is 7/220, he's not signing it until March 14th. (I hope there are other nerdy people who get this joke) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hamhock said:

I still don’t understand the payoff of back-and-forth rumors of years/$ on twitter... at a certain point, wouldn’t the best way for a free agent to get a better offer be for them to literally tell other teams what the best offer was, so that they could top it, and then go back to the first team with the exact offer of the new high-bidder, etc.? Rather than have multiple teams vaguely guessing?

I can basically assure you that major league baseball teams don't operate based on twitter rumors.  Twitter rumors are for the fans. 

4 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Under market?  Do you know what that term means and how to apply it in context?  If the Sox offer is the best currently, that's market value.

Yes I do. A house could have a fair market value of $500k, but sell for $400k. That means it sold under market.

3 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

If the current market is any indication, we might be at a point where free agent prices are dropping, which would mean the best time to sign is now.  

Its just a bad year to be looking for a huge contract. A lot of the big time teams arent out there. But that doesnt mean they wont be next year.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think he is signing for 7/$220 either (more like 8/$280M), but no person in their right mind is leaving $150M on the table. Its not happening.  Crazy shit happens.  He could have a career ending injury.  He isn't leaving that kind of money on the table.  

If he signs for 7/220 hell have an opt out in year 2/3. Which means that its a 2-3 year contract. So I agree that he likely would pick a 2-3 year opt out contract, because that gives financial security. But that is a losing deal for the Sox because the only way he opts in is if he under performs.

Ive said all along 8 years $280. 

Edited by Soxbadger

Just now, AustinIllini said:

The White Sox could win four consecutive World Series and you would still be mad. 

No one here should take that opinion seriously.

I doubt that's true of anyone here. Not even the most miserable Sox fan could complain about 4 straight championships.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I can basically assure you that major league baseball teams don't operate based on twitter rumors.  Twitter rumors are for the fans. 

Yes totally.  The sports journalist is quickly becoming one of the most useless things on the planet.  It’s like cats clawing at each other to get off a sinking ship. 

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

Bruce and Nightengale have seemed to have their fingers on this better than Passan. So this kinda sucks.

No, no they have not.  I've said before that I basically don't believe anything that has been reported but guys absolutely don't believe shit from Bruce.  

I think what Nightengale and Levine are stressing here is indicative of how hard we are going at Machado's people about needing to get five years control or more if we are going to do a closer-to-record-setting contract.

So it could be we have Passan's offer 'on the table' only if the opt outs window is fixed to benefit us 

The Sox-stereotype outcome of course is gonna be that on a day where we obliterate the team record for outlay to a FA, we do it in such a way that puts most of the money back in our hands in 3 short years.

To me, this all seems, logically, as if it’s going according to plan. I’m not worried about these “low” leading offers because:

1. The White Sox, unlike the other known suitors, have absolutely no time constraint, because they don’t have to pivot to compete if they miss out. They’re the only ones that would be totally fine waiting all the way to ST if that’s what it took, therefore

2. I’m reading this as The White Sox are playing it slow to avoid bidding against themselves. The state of their current offer doesn’t necessarily indicate the highest they’d be willing to go.

This isn’t evidence that they’re playing it smart, but if they WERE playing it smart, this is what it would look like. 

The risk is if the Sox play too hard, Machado at some point considers one year pillows before he finds out the Sox would meet his minimum anyway. But I’d have to assume that both sides are keeping communication open enough to avoid that, given that it benefits both of them. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres