Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Pretty sure that is completely infeasible. If you don't meet the deadline who gets punished? Player? Team? Both? Good luck on getting either party to sign up for that. 

DA's idea a month ago was - if the team signs a player before the end of the winter meetings, they don't lose a draft pick. If the team signs a guy afterwards, they do lose a pick.

Both agents and teams would work hard to have nearly all the QO guys signed by that point. 

• Like 1

Just now, mqr said:

Pretty sure that is completely infeasible. If you don't meet the deadline who gets punished? Player? Team? Both? Good luck on getting either party to sign up for that. 

The media discussed it during the boring Winter Meetings.  Either a winter trade deadline or a free agent deadline.  Both get opened back up again, but you have to put urgency into signing.  With social media and what fans are going through, this isn't good for the game, IMO.

2 minutes ago, SoxBrah said:

$300M is far too much.  Machado is a great player but imma pass at 300M 

If Manny Machado (Or Bryce Harper) is a 5 win player for the next 6 years, that is better money than the white sox have spent in the free agent market this decade. If the headline number scares you, you wind up with Melky Cabrera and Adam LaRoche. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

98 Members browsing right now. Crazy.

Just wait until Machado signs.  There will be hundreds of us nuts in here.  I don't know how this new message board will handle it, but the old one would seize up, and we'd get the error that the site is too busy.  We'd madly press refresh, swearing at our computers, praying to all gods that each refresh gets us back in.

• Haha 1

I'm of the opinion that they are coming off 100 losses and are probably the most irrelevant then they've been in a long time with no clear cut "stars". There are two potential hall of famers in the prime of their career who are considering your franchise. You have peanuts committed to your payroll and a need for either of them. If they don't land one of these guys attendance will be even lower next year and the fans will be even more pissed off. There is literally no better time than to use the payroll that you planned to have depleted specifically for them. If it costs 300+, you do it. 

Edited by Sockin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If Manny Machado (Or Bryce Harper) is a 5 win player for the next 6 years, that is better money than the white sox have spent in the free agent market this decade. If the headline number scares you, you wind up with Melky Cabrera and Adam LaRoche. 

This is so solid. Buy $20 dress shoes, and you'll buy them twice a year. Buy $200 dress shoes, and you're set for a while.

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Why? 10 years and 325 million is less than 33 million per year. I don't think this is an outrageous amount to pay a guy who had nearly 6 wins last year. 

Just to play Devil’s Advocate, Heyward had a 5.6 fWAR season & was 26 years old and only got 8 years & a $23M AAV from the Cubs. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Just two months ago we all thought he and Harper would break 400 million. We were debating if we'd get up to 450. 

Amen.  

Hahn was "in" when the rumors were closer to 500 million than they were to 200 million.  If another team signs Machado for less than $350,000,000 and it isn't widely reported that the Sox bid more I'll be severely pissed off.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

This is so solid. Buy $20 dress shoes, and you'll buy them twice a year. Buy $200 dress shoes, and you're set for a while.

clearly was speaking with the White Sox late into the evening last night and is continuing as we speak.

Just now, GREEDY said:

Amen.  

Hahn was "in" when the rumors were closer to 500 million than they were to 200 million.  If another team signs Machado for less than $350,000,000 and it isn't widely reported that the Sox bid more I'll be severely pissed off.   

If he signs with Philadelphia, wouldn't that say the Sox were outbid since neither player supposedly wants to go there?

I mean this really is somewhat of a make or break time for the team.  We have prospects debuting, young players entering their second full season... having the buzz of Manny on top of this could create a tidal wave of good results.

Opposite side, we don't sign him and we either continue with the rebuild and more young guys don't perform/get injured.  It could get ugly in a hurry.

Obviously there's the other outcomes with the young guys, they could stink after we sign Manny, or they could be incredible even if we don't sign him.  I just see this offseason as the fork in the road.

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I'm of the opinion that they are coming off 100 losses and are probably the most irrelevant then they've been in a long time with no clear cut "stars". There are two potential hall of famers in the prime of their career who are considering your franchise. You have peanuts committed to your payroll and a need for either of them. If they don't land one of these guys attendance will be even lower next year and the fans will be even more pissed off. There is literally no better time than to use the payroll that you planned to have depleted specifically for them. If it costs 300+, you do it. 

A couple of us earlier suggested to offer $300M and we were told not to be so fast, to not give away leverage. Now we're up to $325. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Just two months ago we all thought he and Harper would break 400 million. We were debating if we'd get up to 450. 

Everyone needs to read this post. It’s like people are setting the market in their minds based on what they read the offers are. While the actual offers DO set the market, we have no idea what those offers are. I was willing to pay $350 in a heartbeat just a month ago. If we can get him for cheaper because nobody else is offering anything, then great. 

13 minutes ago, SoxBrah said:

$300M is far too much.  Machado is a great player but imma pass at 300M 

What else are you gonna spend the money on? What will you ever want more than a 26 year old SS/3B worth 4-6 wins every year?

This type of opportunity is why we wring our hands over JRs money so much. We want them to be cheap where they can so that they can spend the money later when an opportunity arises.  If not now, when?

If we don’t support it now, Greg will have been right about us caring about JR’s kids inheritance all along. And I don’t need to explain why we don’t want that. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres