Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

If you sign Harper theres a chance that Bryant will follow in 2020 to fill 3rd base. 

If you give one player $35mm it only lessens the chances that you can or will be able to afford another like player, regardless of their friendship.  

Yeah this is a battle of the White Sox vs. Manny's agent right now. He's trying to shop the updated offer around and we're not letting him. Unfortunately it's probably too late and the Phillies or whoever already assume there's an updated offer so they're deciding if they're going to update theirs.

I worry both that someone is going to come along and sweep him up while we dick around with a competitive but not amazing offer, and that the Sox are going to get pissed about the leaks and either decide to pull the offer (unlikely I hope) or that they won't budge off 8/$250 or whatever the current offer is (more likely I'd think; hopefully still not likely).

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Lazano is for sure feeding passan that info though..we dont know if the sox or lazano is telling the truth

But why would the Sox refute it and refute it so strongly? Even if Manny goes somewhere else, you would think the Sox look better if the public believes they put out a respectable offer. If they miss and the world thinks they offered 7 years 200, they look like idiots.

Just now, Orlando said:

But why would the Sox refute it and refute it so strongly? Even if Manny goes somewhere else, you would think the Sox look better if the public believes they put out a respectable offer. If they miss and the world thinks they offered 7 years 200, they look like idiots.

They might not want the Phillies to know what they're exact numbers are and/or keep playing with the underdog card

Bottom line for me is this: If the offer is 7/200 million and they refuse to move, they will not get Manny. Why not let fans think they offered 8/250? Bizarre to me and I don't see what they gain in the end. Lozano knows what they offered, why would this be Sox vs Lozano?

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

They might not want the Phillies to know what they're exact numbers are and/or keep playing with the underdog card

It's 100% this. They knew they had the strongest offer and now the Phillies or another team can top them. They're going to keep doing this until the number gets close to 300 M.

Edited by Sockin

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres