Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Bottom line for me is this: If the offer is 7/200 million and they refuse to move, they will not get Manny. Why not let fans think they offered 8/250? Bizarre to me and I don't see what they gain in the end. Lozano knows what they offered, why would this be Sox vs Lozano?

If 7/200 is the highest they go, I see no reason for this fan base to support the organization anymore in all honesty.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

They might not want the Phillies to know what they're exact numbers are and/or keep playing with the underdog card

But claiming 7/200 to me would cause more problems. More teams to get involved and a bad taste in fan's mouths when they miss.

Just now, fathom said:

By denying it, they could cause other teams to question if Manny really does have 8/250 on the table or is 7/200 really the best he can get?

Right, and as confident as I am right now, I do wonder if a 5/150 deal from the yankees came back in play if that isn't more attractive than a 7/200 and if Manny, tired of waiting for sox to budge, just signs.

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

If you give one player $35mm it only lessens the chances that you can or will be able to afford another like player, regardless of their friendship.  

True but you have Abreu 16 mil, Yonders 9 mil Nova 8 mil and Beef 8 mil coming off the books after 19/20. Not likely but possible. I know they probably need to pick up a 1 or 2 starter as well. 

Just now, fathom said:

If 7/200 is the highest they go, I see no reason for this fan base to support the organization anymore in all honesty.

100%. This bidding low and trying to sell free agents on the Sox doesn't work. It wont work until they are legit. They need to get with the times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Right, and as confident as I am right now, I do wonder if a 5/150 deal from the yankees came back in play if that isn't more attractive than a 7/200 and if Manny, tired of waiting for sox to budge, just signs.

Where does 7/200 come from? I don't think that's what we have on the table at all. The Yanks are not going to steal him away with 5/150. Keep the confidence- I feel like every time the wait goes on, everyone loses their minds and starts to panic. Don't worry.

1 minute ago, timbo8 said:

good thread 

He raises a a great point of the optics of all this headspinning. Even if it's not remotely true I get very irritated over how adamant these reports from the local guys are. Almost feels like I'm being chided for getting my hopes up.

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

But why would the Sox refute it and refute it so strongly? Even if Manny goes somewhere else, you would think the Sox look better if the public believes they put out a respectable offer. If they miss and the world thinks they offered 7 years 200, they look like idiots.

They want to refute it strongly because if a team does try and beat their offer, the Sox would rather have a team push up against a 7/200 offer rather than an 8/250. 

When that call from Lozano comes and says "X team went past your offer, will you beat theirs?" you dont want their offer to be artificially inflated from the start.  It just makes more ground for you to have to cover to get back to being the top offer

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres