Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I'm sure that if they don't end up landing him they'll just leak the best offer they had for him, and maybe that would prevent fans from being angry

If the best offer they have for him isn't the best offer available, I will be furious that they wasted my time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If he gets a contract greater than Stanton's $325M I am fine with the White Sox taking a pass.   If either or both sign for under $275M total then the Sox look cheap to me.  From $275-$325M I am not certain how I would feel.  

If it's for 10 years, I don't mind it. Maybe try to front-load a bit like $5m more the first 3-4 years and then $5m less the last 3-4.

12 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Here's my personal take on what's happened:  The Sox have had the best offer at something like 7/210 for a few weeks now.  They were ready to go to 8/250 this weekend to get the deal done and felt confident that Manny would accept, which is why there was a lot of internal "source" confidence about early this week.  Instead, Lozano took the new offer and immediately shopped it through Passan.  The Sox front office, already frustrated, took it personally and I are now telling everyone in the media they know that their offer is only 7 years.

FWIW I think this is plausible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

If he gets a contract greater than Stanton's $325M I am fine with the White Sox taking a pass.   If either or both sign for under $275M total then the Sox look cheap to me.  From $275-$325M I am not certain how I would feel.  

The Sox need this. Even if its an overpay, they need this. They have saved money for years, they built a farm system. But what is the point if you dont go after All Star level players. Even if they overpay by $5mil per year, that wont be what sinks this franchise in the future.

The one concern that I have with the Sox, is that outside of JR, none of these guys have ever landed a top tier FA. They just dont have the experience in a negotiation like this to pull the trigger or convince JR, that its what needs to be done, even if its slightly not the greatest deal for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Machado signs with another team and there ends up being reason to be mad at the Sox for how they handled it, I'll be mad....

But predicting that the fanbase will revolt because Scott Merkin and Levine and others are tweeting out leaks from the Sox is silly. 

The Sox should not care or adjust their strategy to make the nerds at SoxMachine and a couple hundred idiots like us on the internet happy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The one concern that I have with the Sox, is that outside of JR, none of these guys have ever landed a top tier FA. They just dont have the experience in a negotiation like this to pull the trigger or convince JR, that its what needs to be done, even if its slightly not the greatest deal for them. 

I mean, give Hahn some credit.  A lot of armchair GMs in this thread.  I'm not passing any judgement on this until it's done one way or another.

First time signing in. I am NOT a jump on the bandwagon guy. I have been a Sox fan since 1956. I hate the Scrubs. So, hopefully I fit right in? I knew every player and number on the Sox in the late 50's and early 60's. Still know the players now, but not always the numbers. I consider myself a knowledgeable Sox fan, but am impressed with some of the knowledge of the fans on this site. Hope I can keep up? I have been monitoring the site for a few weeks now, especially since the Machado/Harper saga got into high gear.
I have to say I have mixed emotions about signing Machado. I was on the sign Machado and/or Harper movement way back to LAST off season. But, now, with all this delay, and rumors and "leaks" and all the other aspects of these "negotiations" I am getting turned off. I actually have backed myself into a corner. If we sign one or both, fine. If we don't sign either I will be both relieved and pissed. If we low ball the offers and end up pissing Machado off and come up empty and looking like fools because the Scrubs sneak in and sign one of them, or he takes a much smaller offer from his beloved Yankees I will be super pissed off. It will be the same old cheap cheap of the organization.
But looking at it from another perspective, maybe Machado does NOT want to come to the Sox? Our record since 2008 hardly inspires confidence that we will turn it around. Our showing so far from our "prospects" does not inspire confidence either. So maybe he and Lozano are just using us. I don't like my team to embarrass me. Hahn and KW have sort of put us in a can't win situation. After all this "hype" we come up empty? And Machado never wanted to come here anyway and our beloved FO put us up for the world to see as fools? Seems like we can't win...we don't get either whale, as you all call them, and look like fools, or we overpay. I hope Hahn and KW are smarter than this and have a winning plan in place and we do sign a whale. But with this dragging on and on and on, I am getting frustrated. Sorry for rambling on, but this is just how I feel right now. Very frustrated with this whole process and hoping that Hahn and KW know what they are doing.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I see it's time to dunk on Rick Hahn because of some conflincting tweets, and guess what? 

I saw Rick Hahn at a grocery store today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the ongoing Manny Machado negotiations.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

• Haha 12

1 minute ago, justBLAZE said:

I mean, give Hahn some credit.  A lot of armchair GMs in this thread.  I'm not passing any judgement on this until it's done one way or another.

Yeah, I agree.  But holy shit this is frustrating.  I'm sure many of us thought after the information last night that today would be eventful.  Turns out it's just the media arguing about whether the offer is 7 or 8 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I see it's time to dunk on Rick Hahn because of some conflincting tweets, and guess what? 

I saw Rick Hahn at a grocery store today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the ongoing Manny Machado negotiations.
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Ok yeah sign any time now machado I think we have hit peak offseason.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Da fuq?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mqr said:

This is all starting to feel like the Sox have lost control of the situation and some team, maybe the Phillies idk, who has been sitting quietly is going to jump up and get him

Naw, this is all part of the kabuki but it's unneccessary and okay to be annoyed by sox being tone deaf during it.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres