Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Gr8Scott said:

I know this is a Manny thread, but any thoughts on possibly backing off of Manny a little and focusing back towards Harper??

I don’t think there’s a shot they outbid philly for him. And if Harper goes to the nats not sure they can outbid for machado

31 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I see it's time to dunk on Rick Hahn because of some conflincting tweets, and guess what? 

I saw Rick Hahn at a grocery store today. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him about the ongoing Manny Machado negotiations.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

The Manny IG makes sense now.  That coffee was for Rick so this doesn’t happen again.  

1 minute ago, Gr8Scott said:

I know this is a Manny thread, but any thoughts on possibly backing off of Manny a little and focusing back towards Harper??

It's a constant debate with me and my buddies.  I for one want Harper.  I believe the franchise needs it for exposure sake.  Harper is a great player and he also brings the national exposure.  I believe more fans will come out to see Harper vs Machado 

Manny could be the better player at a more difficult position(s), but his "brand" is no where close to Harper's.

Either way, the team would be getting a great player and the Sox would automatically become a love them or hate them team.  No middle ground, IMHO.

• Like 1

For anyone who is struggling with sanity, keep these points in mind:

- Huge contracts take a TON of negotiating.  And the degree of contract we're talking about here is almost unprecedented in this sport.

- In said negotiations, it is the JOB of agents on one side and billion dollar organizations on the other to work out the terms that are most beneficial to them, regardless of how long that takes.

- People involved in these negotiations make a LOT of money because they have negotiating skills the average person doesn't have, and the temperament to let things play out.  (i.e., the casual fans who thinks they could be a GM really don't have the stomach for it.)

- If either the agent or the braintrust of the organization lets the stress level of a bunch of idiots in a discussion forum affect their decisions and/or timing, they should be fired.

- In this day and age social media is ubiquitous and is used as one of many negotiation tools.

- Social media is ONLY used as a negotiation tool BECAUSE a significant number of people pay attention to it.  If no one paid attention, all the social media agent vs. org BS would eventually evaporate.

- This could be done tonight or it could take another month.

- It is totally in your power to turn the computer off.  Your choice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, RTC said:

- Huge contracts take a TON of negotiating.  And the degree of contract we're talking about here is almost unprecedented in this sport.

- In said negotiations, it is the JOB of agents on one side and billion dollar organizations on the other to work out the terms that are most beneficial to them, regardless of how long that takes.

- People involved in these negotiations make a LOT of money because they have negotiating skills the average person doesn't have, and the temperament to let things play out.  (i.e., the casual fans who thinks they could be a GM really don't have the stomach for it.)

- If either the agent or the braintrust of the organization lets the stress level of a bunch of idiots in a discussion forum affect their decisions and/or timing, they should be fired.

- In this day and age social media is ubiquitous and is used as one of many negotiation tools.

- Social media is ONLY used as a negotiation tool BECAUSE a significant number of people pay attention to it.  If no one paid attention, all the social media agent vs. org BS would eventually evaporate.

POTW.

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Bravo.

7 minutes ago, Gr8Scott said:

We have too much emotional momentum built up in the Manny direction.  Changing direction at this point might violate some of the laws of physics and would likely cause a tear in the space-time continuum.  If Manny signs elsewhere, then we can redirect the emotional BTU's.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RTC said:

Only dispute your last point.  I'm a junkie now and powerless to turn off this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forgot to mention... Sorry, I have NO sources.

All you will get from me is my opinions. Opinions based on all my years as a Sox fan. During that time a few great times, especially 2005, something I had thought would NEVER happen in my lifetime. But I want MORE WS wins. No more Dybzinski falling on his ass with what would have been the winning run in 83, with Cy Young winner Lamarr Hoyt waiting to pitch game five and put us in the WS in 83. No more allowing those bastards in Toronto to steal Black Jack McDowell pitches and keep us out of the WS in 93. No more having a pitcher with no balls starting game one in 2008 and immediately losing a three run lead that Dewayne Wise gave us with a three run homer in the first. And no more losing two double headers to losing teams in September and blowing a pennant in 1967, and then starting 1968 with 12 straight LOSSES.

So, my opinion on Machado? We sign him for over $300 million "IF" Hahn and KW play their cards right. Can't mess this up. I hope they know this. They have put us in too deep to not succeed. We get neither "whale" and we look like losers to the rest of baseball. 

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres