Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

Sox fans are pussies because this organization keeps getting dicked around by the rest of the MLB. Until JR, KW and Hahn pull their panties up and put on the big boy pants, this is our reality. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the White Sox owner promised fans they would spent "stupid money," then we wouldn't be having this same conversation.

Not only that, but it's pretty clear the first White Sox official offer was well below expected market value.  So we pretty much know 100% they will be beating that, so it's back to them to respond in a way where Machado is convinced not to keep going back and forth for weeks.

I seriously doubt that.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the Phillies get BOTH Harper and Machado...that's going to be nearly impossible to explain to Sox fans.

It’ll be impossible to excuse. I don’t care who says, “Wait to know their offer before criticizing” or “Guys, both just wanted to really play for Philadelphia,” it’ll be a terrible blow to the franchise. They’ll deserve all the criticism coming their way. 

However, I still have hope they’ll get Machado. In the beginning with the Yankees I was very skeptical, but as talks have progressed I’m confident they wouldn’t risk embarrassing themselves signing Jay and trading for Alonso to lose out. Right?

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Heck, if the front office could see they have as many page views as 1/4th of their season attendance, they would recognize the appetite and need for the fanbase to have SOMETHING to believe in.

To be fair, game threads are awful lately and full of people just spouting nothing but negative garbage and insulting players. I don't blame people for staying out of those.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, asindc said:

I seriously doubt that.

Well, it really doesn't matter because JR is NEVER in a million years going to say that.

Do you think if we miss on both Machado and Harper that he's going to make a similar statement as the Phillies' owner heading into next offseason?

Then I've got some of Greg's Lawrence/Topeka/Johnson County (KS) houses to sell you at a discounted rate you won't be able to turn down.

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It’ll be impossible to excuse. I don’t care who says, “Wait to know their offer before criticizing” or “Guys, both just wanted to really play for Philadelphia,” it’ll be a terrible blow to the franchise. They’ll deserve all the criticism coming their way. 

However, I still have hope they’ll get Machado. In the beginning with the Yankees I was very skeptical, but as talks have progressed I’m confident they wouldn’t risk embarrassing themselves signing Jay and trading for Alonso to lose out. Right?

That's pretty much the MAIN reason to have hope...it just sounds so ludicrous and embarrassing if it doesn't work out.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That's pretty much the MAIN reason to have hope...it just sounds so ludicrous and embarrassing if it doesn't work out.

It's the type of thing that would get most GM fired (wasting 13 million on a recruiting effort).  Knowing how things work, Hahn would probably get an extension that isn't announced to the public.

• Haha 1

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Heck, if the front office could see they have as many page views as 1/4th of their season attendance, they would recognize the appetite and need for the fanbase to have SOMETHING to believe in.

Get off your high horse.  I have been a member since Summer 2005.  You are judging fans based on posting on game threads?!?!

I am a season ticket holder and I am sorry I don't post on SoxTalk all the time.  I know that wasn't personally directed at me, but I am part of the few.

I have faith, as a fan, in Kenny and Rick.  As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series.  Jury is still out on Rick, but the returns on Q, Sale, and Eaton were top notch and not many, if anyone, was upset with them.

You want to play Monday morning quarterback, wait til the signings happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just to show you guys how ridiculous this entire process is, here’s a quote from Rick Hahn at the Jon Jay presser just last week:

I realize it's part of the business, but especially when you're talking about negotiations, which are understandably and purposefully confidential and not something that we conduct through the media

Here are five tweets in the last 24 hours:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

There really is no need for this. The 50s called and they wanted to pass on that using females as a way to insult men died with them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Phillies make an offer, and half the thread is whipping themselves up into a frenzy over the possibility that eventually Machado chooses that one. Being proactively pessimistic is one thing, but this is purposely steering into worst case scenarios to beat a horse that isn't just already dead, but was never alive because it is made of straw.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, it really doesn't matter because JR is NEVER in a million years going to say that.

Do you think if we miss on both Machado and Harper that he's going to make a similar statement as the Phillies' owner heading into next offseason?

Then I've got some of Greg's Lawrence/Topeka/Johnson County (KS) houses to sell you at a discounted rate you won't be able to turn down.

No, that’s not what I’m doubting.

8 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

Get off your high horse.  I have been a member since Summer 2005.  You are judging fans based on posting on game threads?!?!

I am a season ticket holder and I am sorry I don't post on SoxTalk all the time.  I know that wasn't personally directed at me, but I am part of the few.

I have faith, as a fan, in Kenny and Rick.  As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series.  Jury is still out on Rick, but the returns on Q, Sale, and Eaton were top notch and not many, if anyone, was upset with them.

Well, obviously if you're going to 10 or 20 games or more from Rockford, that's impressive dedication.

You actually go to 81 games per year and drive 1 1/2 hours each way?

5 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

How dare you say anything positive about the team. They have done absolutely nothing positive to warrant any positivity. Expect the worst. 😉

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How dare you say anything positive about the team. They have done absolutely nothing positive to warrant any positivity. Expect the worst. 😉

The list of players we've finished 2nd or 3rd on over the last two decades would be longer than I have time to write in a day (even when we're having semester finals in China).

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, obviously if you're going to 10 or 20 games or more from Rockford, that's impressive dedication.

You actually go to 81 games per year and drive 1 1/2 hours each way?

1 1/2???  try 2.5 going in and 1.5 coming home.  Proud season ticket holder for more then 20 years and yes, I go to many games a year.  Not 81, but wish I could.

I hate doing that, but I shouldn't have to prove my fandom here.....

Everyone needs to chill until we have answers.  If the answers are bad, go ape shit.  If they are good, celebrate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series. 

Man oh man, how’s many times will this guy get a free pass because he won a World Series back in 2005? If they miss on Manny and it is because the White Sox are trying to be the smarter/stingier man I don’t know how you can possibly give them a pass now. We’ve been to the playoffs get ready......ONE time since then and 0 in the last 10 years. Kenny and RH have probably one of the longest leashes in MLB because of owners loyalty, any other organization that is set on winning would have at least canned KW. I agree the jury is still out on RH though

Just now, beckham15 said:

Man oh man, how’s many times will this guy get a free pass because he won a World Series back in 2005? If they miss on Manny and it is because the White Sox are trying to be the smarter/stingier man I don’t know how you can possibly give them a pass now. We’ve been to the playoffs get ready......ONE time since then and 0 in the last 10 years. Kenny and RH have probably one of the longest leashes in MLB because of owners loyalty, any other organization that is set on winning would have at least canned KW. I agree the jury is still out on RH though

That's the White Sox (and the Bulls) way.  Are you surprised?  Mr. Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault.

Yes, Kenny gets a leash because of 2005.  Would I have liked to win more, sure.  Go ask the Dodgers fans how they feel, it's been a long time since 1988.

I don't kiss Kenny's ass, but I will not completely trash the guy.  Things could be worse, see the Seattle Mariners........

25 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I made my post more in jest than anything else! I don't know how long you have been a Sox fan, but I've been around since the 1959 World Series, so I have been through many ups and downs (more downs than ups). A little over reaction on your side to call people pussies over a site post. I have posted many times that I hope the Sox step up and sign Machado and I'll be the first to congratulate JR, RH and KW if they do. Now they need to get it done for us fans!

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres