Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The list of players we've finished 2nd or 3rd on over the last two decades would be longer than I have time to write in a day (even when we're having semester finals in China).

Good thing that's the only way to judge the team.

9 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

1 1/2???  try 2.5 going in and 1.5 coming home.  Proud season ticket holder for more then 20 years and yes, I go to many games a year.  Not 81, but wish I could.

I hate doing that, but I shouldn't have to prove my fandom here.....

Everyone needs to chill until we have answers.  If the answers are bad, go ape shit.  If they are good, celebrate.

Don’t let Caulfields ramblings get to you! 

11 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

The only part that irks me is Merkin tweeting that.  He is employed by the club and should stay out of it IMHO.

Rest of it is media speculation. 

Merkin works for MLB Advanced Media, a holding company that the White Sox and Phillies each own 1/30th of. He does not receive a paycheck by the club. 

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

It’s a good indicator of how your front office can or cannot close big named free agents, that’s for sure. 

Or it's an indicator of the budget and direction for the team dictated by someone higher than them.

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

That is how you judge teams.  Fans are judged by the number of posts in game threads.  

You judge them by the number of FA they sign? I prefer the quality of the team regardless of how they were acquired.

4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

That is how you judge teams.  Fans are judged by the number of posts in game threads.  

When we have just as many fans for Sox game threads in August and September as the last month (who are interested in Machado and Harper on a daily basis)...then the White Sox front office will actually be succeeding.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There really is no need for this. The 50s called and they wanted to pass on that using females as a way to insult men died with them.

Yup the influx I talked about the other day....

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I think everyone needs to watch GREEN BOOK, lol...we are in a different world, theoretically.

I don't think there is any "theoretically" to it. For better or worse there are many things that are no longer acceptable.

One of my coworkers is like "the White Sox should just tell them take it or leave it and be done with it," and I'm like "as opposed to what? what are they doing in 2019 that's so important they need him to commit *right now*?" Yeah as a fan this is irritating but come on.

50 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

It's neurotic, man. Look at my posts in this thread: basically, chill out, don't worry, silence is fine, don't bid against ourselves, be calm. A couple people know my old screen names and overall history, and I know myself- even as adult, I'm not the calm one. Shit's in a bad way if I am.

And yet, one rumor from one random doofus hits this thread and people run to the ledge. Then an equivalent doofus comes along with slightly better things, and people are planning how the lineup looks when we make our six final signings after Machado. Even the people I look at (whether I say it aloud or not) as being the best and most reasonable posters are acting like freaking windsocks stuck in a hurricane.

Calm down, everybody!

6a00d8357f3f2969e20133edb2d5e7970b.jpg

• Like 2

Let's be real here. This is what superstar negotiations look like in MLB. The 2nd and 3rd tier guys are much easier to get deals done with as their markets are set by guys like Manny Machado. Because guys like Manny don't come along often,  it is way more wide open.  The spread isn't a million or two a year, the spread here could be as much as $100,000,000.  How does that gap get bridged?

You are watching it happen in excruciating detail.  Quit living and dying with each detail and you will live longer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I like the sound of that.

He isn’t confirming anything though because he leaves himself an out by saying it could happen or it could fall apart like well duh it’s got to be one thing or the other. If he was so sure I don’t think he would have left the out there for himself 

Just now, beckham15 said:

He isn’t confirming anything though because he leaves himself an out by saying it could happen or it could fall apart like well duh it’s got to be one thing or the other. If he was so sure I don’t think he would have left the out there for himself 

I understand that, but he's saying that the report about Manny heavily leaning toward accepting our offer has been vetted and confirmed. The part where the deal could still fall through is meaningless to me. If he didn't add that, I would still think the deal could fall through. So he decided to leave himself a direct out. Big deal. The fact remains that he heard Manny is heavily leaning toward accepting our offer. That sounds good to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I understand that, but he's saying that the report about Manny heavily leaning toward accepting our offer has been vetted and confirmed. The part where the deal could still fall through is meaningless to me. If he didn't add that, I would still think the deal could fall through. So he decided to leave himself a direct out. Big deal. The fact remains that he heard Manny is heavily leaning toward accepting our offer. That sounds good to me.

And he’s not the only one we’ve been hearing this language from.

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny's Panic Room: Sox have offered either 7 or 8 years for Machado's baseball skills
  • Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres