Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

We are the type of org that should take a gamble on Pollock. Pollock, Robert, and Eloy could be an outstanding outfield. Jay, Pollock, and Eloy would be good if healthy from an offensive standpoint. Just add another starter on a short deal and try to win 81+ games to gain some momentum.

Next Year a rotation of Rodon,  FA, Lopez, Cease, Kopech should be good enough to compete for the division. A lineup featuring Moncada, Pollock, Eloy, Machado, Madrigcal, Yonder, Abreu, Timmy, Robert, and Catcher should be food enough as well. 

Sure, if it’s three years and not 4-5.   That would be his age 31-33 seasons.

9 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

i could see angles go after joe maddon next year if he leaves the cubs which is most likely

They'd be right to. Asmus is acutely better than Scioscia, but you're being obtuse if you don't think Maddon's record speaks for itself.

Edited by gusguyman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

We are the type of org that should take a gamble on Pollock. Pollock, Robert, and Eloy could be an outstanding outfield. Jay, Pollock, and Eloy would be good if healthy from an offensive standpoint. Just add another starter on a short deal and try to win 81+ games to gain some momentum.

Next Year a rotation of Rodon,  FA, Lopez, Cease, Kopech should be good enough to compete for the division. A lineup featuring Moncada, Pollock, Eloy, Machado, Madrigcal, Yonder, Abreu, Timmy, Robert, and Catcher should be food enough as well. 

And Pollock gives you all kinds of flexibility. Can play anywhere in the OF. And with a 2 - 3 yr deal it doesn't really block the OF prospects. Yeah, I totally agree. 

12 minutes ago, almagest said:

That would be "stupid money" for sure. 

Depends on how long the deals for Kimbrel and Keuchel are...one can’t imagine 4-5 for either at this point, although crazier things have happened.   I guess $100 million for Keuchel for 3-4 years and $45-50 million for Kimbrel for two years wouldn’t be all that shocking.

But then how does Harper get $350 if the White Sox drop out after signing Machado?   Stupid money theory, again?

Another story on mlbtraderumors about the Phillies. It says the Phillies are not going to sign both whales but "they could".  Another positive story about the Phillies and what they could do. That it is really the Phillies choice who they sign. What coverage do the Sox get? Just negatives about "their offer is still at seven years". Let's face it folks...Sox do not have many believers in the national media. I think it is time to change that perception, and I think a lot of fans agree. Let's do it, Reinsdorf!

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

And I would go after Grandal at catcher team him up with Collins. And don't count out Dunning as a starter next year. 

25 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Lozano is going to do his best to imply to the Sox that their offer is not the best offer or that they need to raise it to get Manny (whether true or not), and Hahn and Jerry must do their best to determine whether they should raise their offer or not.  Lozano isn't going to just tell the Sox that the Phillies have quit on Machado; it's going to be up to the Sox to make that determination.

Correct. But what you're suggesting is that the Phils are trying to lull the Sox into thinking they have the best, while in fact, the Phillies do. So the Sox decline to make a bigger offer and Machado will take Phil's offer. That won't happen. Lozano won't inform either team if the other quits, but he will tell either one that their opponent is sitting prettier.

Whatever PHI's final offer is, Hahn and Co will be given the chance to beat it. If they don't sign Machado, it's because the prices got too high and they backed out (or Machado just preferred the other team/city/infidelity opportunities/etc).

Edited by The Sir

5 minutes ago, smellysox said:

And Pollock gives you all kinds of flexibility. Can play anywhere in the OF. And with a 2 - 3 yr deal it doesn't really block the OF prospects. Yeah, I totally agree. 

Except he’s averaged a 2.1 fWAR for all of his big league seasons outside of one outlier where he actually stayed healthy.

I guess that’s still theoretically worth $42-54 million for 3 years on the open market, but his age and injury history might push that down towards the low side unless Harper off the market creates a burst of demand side pressure from everyone left trying to compete.

Wouldnt be that far off the Melky Cabrera or Robertson deals.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Another story on mlbtraderumors about the Phillies. It says the Phillies are not going to sign both whales but "they could".  Another positive story about the Phillies and what they could do. That it is really the Phillies choice who they sign. What coverage do the Sox get? Just negatives about "their offer is still at seven years". Let's face it folks...Sox do not have many believers in the national media. I think it is time to change that perception, and I think a lot of fans agree. Let's do it, Reinsdorf!

This is the story the white Sox themselves prefer.

Sox and Phillies are each able to sign Machado and Harper both.  If they split and sign 1 each, they will have 250-300 mil (earmarked for the other they didn’t sign) available.  Would you all spend that this year on who is left available or would you save it for later??

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Sox and Phillies are each able to sign Machado and Harper both.  If they split and sign 1 each, they will have 250-300 mil (earmarked for the other they didn’t sign) available.  Would you all spend that this year on who is left available or would you save it for later??

Machado, Pollock, Ottavino, and Gio Gonzalez would be my picks like others have mentioned. Get those guys and I think the Sox could win the division.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

It won't change the perception.  It will be that the Phillies had their pick, took Harper and Machado had to settle for the Sox offer, even as bad as the offer is.

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

so, I'm very positive that we will sign machado and think it's going to be franchise altering.

But allow me to be negative for a second...

I don't understand why sox are so frugal in fighting the margins of the Machado deal but at the same time so willing to pay for replacement level production elsewhere.

Our payroll is somehow 80 million for a frankly garbage roster. The As are at 67 million, and you look at it and you see the lack of 7.5 for colomes, 9 for novas, 8.5 for herreras, etc etc and it stands out. Those may be normal market value for those players, but I would bet we barely scrape by in those players paying for their own production. I really hope when our young players arrive we can stop overpaying for depth and using leftover cash to buy impactful pieces only.

Anyway again, I'm very excited. I think Hahn is still pretty bad at FA though.

I don't see anyone responding to this so I might as well.

What the White Sox should not do is bid against themselves. If there's no one else in the bidding, then they have to put together a good enough bid to win, they don't have to win by $75 million - that is money that could be used elsewhere. So, there's benefit to being frugal to a point, and that point is where it's a threat to lose the player.

The White Sox shouldn't just say "day 1 here's our $210 million deal will you sign", "day 2 here's $220 will you sign", "day 3 here's $230 will you sign". What they have to do is put an offer on the table that is good enough to stay in the game and then they have to wait on Machado's side to give them a reasonable offer that Machado will sign. 

As long as you don't lose the player, minimizing the amount you pay beyond the other teams is to your advantage, and that's why the process is drawing itself out. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres