Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is exhausting because the franchise has nearly always been run as a Mickey Mouse organization. If I knew that they were actually making serious offers, of course I'd feel excited. OTOH, there is the distinct possibility that they're claiming to be in the running but never really were because their offers were insulting or a joke. Not only do we have to wait on a decision, we have to decipher whether or not they're actually making serious offers. That is where the exhaustion lies. If we knew they were serious, it would be a lot of fun. Because there is the distinct possibility that they were stringing us all along and are going to pull the "Awe, shucks we tried" bit, even though they were never actually making serious offers, that is where it goes from pure fun to exhaustion, frustration and annoyance.  

Even if the Sox do end up landing him, I won't even be excited until Opening Day. I'll just be relieved that it is over. 

To put it this way: If we were fans of most other teams, we'd all be having fun. Because it is the White Sox, we're not. 

Did you stop taking your meds again ?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Uncle Jerry is code for Reinsdorf=Scrooge McDuck. 

His nephews called him Uncle Scrooge. 

If you weren't in grade school in the Late 80s or early 90s, you probably never heard of DuckTales. 

Huh, never made that connection. Also you underestimate the ubiquity of Scrooge McDuck

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Hey guys, longtime lurker and finally made an account for Manny Mannia. I’ve heard from a reliable source that Manny to the Sox is pretty much done. Source is someone that works with the big boss directly. There’s always the off chance if blows up so don’t throw a riot or jump off a bridge if it doesn’t work out. Not doing this to impress anyone or piss anyone off, mainly to share the news I was fortunate enough to get. I’m glad the peavy era is over, I lost more brain cells reading those comments than the one time I took 3 shots in a row of Malort with my Mizzou pals when they visited. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

You know what? Fuck it. I'm going back out. Anyone else in the south suburbs want a drink? Lol

Go get drunk and then pass out. Sleep in tomorrow from a hangover and wake up to the signing Machado. If that ain't the recipe for success then I don't know what is.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thanks and I agree that at some point we got to stop messing around.  I’ll keep saying it, but I think 8/$280M or 9/$300M is what it’s going take to end this standoff.

Agree. These rumors and stories confound me, but I'm on board with the  $300M number.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't see anyone responding to this so I might as well.

What the White Sox should not do is bid against themselves. If there's no one else in the bidding, then they have to put together a good enough bid to win, they don't have to win by $75 million - that is money that could be used elsewhere. So, there's benefit to being frugal to a point, and that point is where it's a threat to lose the player.

The White Sox shouldn't just say "day 1 here's our $210 million deal will you sign", "day 2 here's $220 will you sign", "day 3 here's $230 will you sign". What they have to do is put an offer on the table that is good enough to stay in the game and then they have to wait on Machado's side to give them a reasonable offer that Machado will sign. 

As long as you don't lose the player, minimizing the amount you pay beyond the other teams is to your advantage, and that's why the process is drawing itself out. 

Very good post. It would be very very dumb to win the battle by 75 to 100 million. I know I don't matter as a fan, but to pay so little on payroll during the rebuild, then to suddenly toss around unnecessary extra money on one player? Ridiculous. If I were Hahn and he gets Manny, btw, I'd quickly finish this rebuilding thing, because (knock on wood to ward off evil), when you pay one player that kind of jack, talk about risk! Baseball is a grueling game as guys like Avi and Eaton and others have shown in getting nicked up A LOT. You get Manny ... then you better sign a veteran starter, ask Coop what else he needs to go with those nice bullpen pieces added, and sign another everyday player or two if we need them to WIN SOON! The longer you wait ... the more it's possible Manny suffers the evil curse of baseball nicks and bruises.

Edited by greg775

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Uncle Jerry is code for Reinsdorf=Scrooge McDuck. 

His nephews called him Uncle Scrooge. 

If you weren't in grade school in the late 80s or early 90s, you've probably never heard of DuckTales. 

Just turned 38 so... yup.  

6 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

Hey guys, longtime lurker and finally made an account for Manny Mannia. I’ve heard from a reliable source that Manny to the Sox is pretty much done. Source is someone that works with the big boss directly. There’s always the off chance if blows up so don’t throw a riot or jump off a bridge if it doesn’t work out. Not doing this to impress anyone or piss anyone off, mainly to share the news I was fortunate enough to get. I’m glad the peavy era is over, I lost more brain cells reading those comments than the one time I took 3 shots in a row of Malort with my Mizzou pals when they visited. 

If true, I appreciate this news. There has just been so many “lurkers”, new posters, etc who claim to have sources. Is there any thing else you can give us? 

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is exhausting because the franchise has nearly always been run as a Mickey Mouse organization. If I knew that they were actually making serious offers, of course I'd feel excited. OTOH, there is the distinct possibility that they're claiming to be in the running but never really were because their offers were insulting or a joke. Not only do we have to wait on a decision, we have to decipher whether or not they're actually making serious offers. That is where the exhaustion lies. If we knew they were serious, it would be a lot of fun. Because there is the distinct possibility that they were stringing us all along and are going to pull the "Awe, shucks we tried" bit, even though they were never actually making serious offers, that is where it goes from pure fun to exhaustion, frustration and annoyance.  

Even if the Sox do end up landing him, I won't even be excited until Opening Day. I'll just be relieved that it is over. 

To put it this way: If we were fans of most other teams, we'd all be having fun. Because it is the White Sox, we're not. 

It's not that complicated. If the offer(s) aren't compelling the discussions would be over. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5

8 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

Please don’t lie to us, internet stranger!

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

I want to believe this, but why would somebody who works directly with the big boss be letting it out that Manny to the Sox is pretty much a done deal?

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Agreed. I’ve had my Wars with Jack, but that crosses a line. Not right. 

He knows I'm kidding . He didn't take offense. It was perfectly fine for everyone to jump all over peavy44 and continuing to do so in his absence because he couldn't put coherent sentences together and passed himself off as having his own personal source and I thought that was cruel but because the masses were doing it and getting huge points for it too. it became harder to enforce the code of conduct. I 've never had a problem with Jack. I like how he bares his soul and puts himself out there. Jack I am sorry if to you I crossed the line.

58 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

I’ve been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign into my account and start interacting. I’ve had it up to hear with the lack of transparency within our front office. First Eloy and now this 

Transparency? You know what that means,  right? They told both Eloy and the fans that he wasn't getting called up this season.  This was the literal definition of transparency. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, macsandz said:

It's not that complicated. If the offer(s) aren't compelling the discussions would be over. 

I tend to agree, but because it is coming from Nightengale it worries me, as he has always been KW's go-to reporter. 

Given that it is you telling everyone not to worry, I'm fine. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, iamshack said:

I do. I think it’s probably been discussed, but I think 7 is what’s been formally offered. 

This notion that the Sox can get Machado for less than $275m is nonsense. Harper will get $350m. Lozano taking $250m for a very similar player would cause damage to his career. 

I understand not wanting to pay more than you have to; I also understand alienating the player and bringing shorter term options into the fray.

The Sox can only afford to play with fire for so long. I trust Hahn. He’ll get it done. But 7-8/$240-250m ain’t happening.

Ive been saying this for days. Even if the Sox are the last team standing they are still going to pay a certain amount.

When youre about to sign the face of your franchise you want it to be positive.

Personally i think 8/280 is s deal everyone can feel good about. I also think the Sox could throw some incentives so that Manny could legitimately make 300 mil guaranteed. Have option years at the back end that vest upon milestones etc.

At the end of the day you want the best Machado and one who has a reason to outperform 8/280.

Edited by Soxbadger

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I tend to agree, but because it is coming from Nightengale it worries me, as he has always been KW's go-to reporter. 

In case you didn't know, that's Bucket who replied to you so I would probably just take what he says as a fact. 

• Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres