Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

23 minutes ago, macsandz said:

RE: Nightengale - Jack there are several enlightening posts in this thread to inform you exactly why he's so involved and what purpose Bob serves.

Hint: It ain't his journalism skills...

My brain works fine, I understand that, but when I read things my mind goes immediately to literal interpretation on stuff like this. It is fucking infuriating to me to read Kenny planted obvious bullshit in the media. What's the point of that? Nobody can possibly take it at face value, right? What is the point of publicly negotiating like this? At least plant something somewhat plausible, amirite? A 7 year contract offer under 200M total value is so ridiculous it can't be taken seriously. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

What would be the point of Hahn planting a low offer in the media? Who does that benefit? I get nervous when I see these low offers. I understand why you would want to put a high offer out there to potentially keep teams away. But a low number? That seems like it would make a bunch of teams want to enter negotiations.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

5 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What would be the point of Hahn planting a low offer in the media? Who does that benefit? I get nervous when I see these low offers. I understand why you would want to put a high offer out there to potentially keep teams away. But a low number? That seems like it would make a bunch of teams want to enter negotiations.

Cast doubt in the mind of Phillies that Lozano is being truthful to them. If he says Sox are offering 250 and media reports 200, then maybe Phillies don’t think they have to go as high as Lozano says they do.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Cast doubt in the mind of Phillies that Lozano is being truthful to them. If he says Sox are offering 250 and media reports 200, then maybe Phillies don’t think they have to go as high as Lozano says they do.

It would make some sense if the Machado camp was actually leaning towards the Sox and didn't want the Phillies to have the best offer...which still doesn't quite make sense.

The Phillies offer $240~260 million and then the Sox swoop in again and beat that?

Or the Sox and Phillies are colluding to lower the market for both, knowing they can only sign one?  Dangerous.

Edited by caulfield12

44 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Parkman's posting patterns can sometimes be eyeroll-inducing but also oddly endearing at the same time.

I wear my emotions on my sleeves, ok? This is my release where I don't have to put on the neurotypical show. I left the closet so to speak so I could actually be myself on here, which I wasn't earlier in my posting years. 

I have  roughly 3800 posts on this forum, have been a member since 11/2005 and I think I had around 5-600 posts as recently as 2013 or 2014. I've probably made like 70% of my posts in the last 2-3 years, since I came out of the closet. I know that has the connotation of being LGBTQ, but it is used in the autism community as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wear my emotions on my sleeves, ok? This is my release where I don't have to put on the neurotypical show. I left the closet so to speak so I could actually be myself on here, which I wasn't earlier in my posting years. 

I have a good friend you remind me a lot of. He has trouble interpreting tone and moods sometimes but he would actually get offended if he perceived me as coddling him. Matter of fact you might be him. Did you see the video I just posted on Facebook? lol.

33 minutes ago, Fuagman said:

Not manny related but kinda is after we get him and then Eloy is eventually called up. Delmonico’s gone right. Bench of McCann, Jay, Yolmer, Leury/rondon. 

We’ll lose half our female fan base w/o Matty D and Nicky D. 

Hopefully Yolmer, Kopech, Timmy and Moncada will be enough to carry the load there for now.

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

That's the day RaBBit was betting on since it's KW's M.O.

This is true.  Wednesday makes sense for the most news coverage.  Monday and Tuesday rumors.  Wednesday morning maybe a new rumor.  Radio talks about it all day.  Wednesday afternoon just before the evening commute, big news hits.  Radio has breaking news. 6&10 pm TV news has plenty of time to get good stories.  Thursday newspaper headlines.  Interviews on the radio. A press conference.   White Sox Wednesday isn’t an accident.

Basically someone who deals with the numbers of the contract. Not saying who but there are whispers that this was their plan all along. Supposedly they knew they had a really good grasp on Manny so they went hard at Harper at the beginning and let the Phillies spend more time on Manny and focus less on Harper. Now the Phillies are playing catch up. Possible endgame is Manny, Harper and a pitcher

• Like 3
  • Love 5

5 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

Basically someone who deals with the numbers of the contract. Not saying who but there are whispers that this was their plan all along. Supposedly they knew they had a really good grasp on Manny so they went hard at Harper at the beginning and let the Phillies spend more time on Manny and focus less on Harper. Now the Phillies are playing catch up. Possible endgame is Manny, Harper and a pitcher

REALLY?  When pitcher, I assume you mean Pomeranz/Gonzalez/Miley and not Dallas Keuchel.

If the final deals are for $275 million and $325 million, that still seems crazy for the White Sox, let alone adding a pitcher that will cost well more add the Manny's Muchachos Group that we added to the payrolls.

At least you're WAY out there on a ledge.  Maybe not Dan Clark over Acapulco, but pretty far outside the realm of probability/likelihood.

That's pretty pretty good, though.  We might have 1000 pages of threads in a week if that actually transpires.  It would be the feint of all feints to pull that off successfully.  Heck, books would be written about it for sports administration courses.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

People may laugh at this but it actually would explain a lot about how the Sox have approached this offseason and it's financially viable.

That said, I doubt it happens, but if this is true regardless, kudos to the front office for the foresight (and hopefully at least partial execution). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

But now it seems like the Phillies are putting the full court press on Harper.

20 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I have a good friend you remind me a lot of. He has trouble interpreting tone and moods sometimes but he would actually get offended if he perceived me as coddling him. Matter of fact you might be him. Did you see the video I just posted on Facebook? lol.

Nah, I'm in Chicago. You're in Maryland. We definitely don't know each other. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

A BOMB. TRUST THE PROCESS

7 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

I love you.

• Haha 3

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres