Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, toasty said:

Then the league had better figure out how to re-balance the luxury tax 

The penalties for going over the luxury tax (even repeatedly!) are not that severe. Big market teams receiving a PR pass for treating it as a hard cap is mind blowing to me. But I'm glad that it could very well lead to the Sox signing one of Machado or Harper.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

33 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If the Sox land both Harper and Machado wouldn’t it be pretty close to the same deal or exactly the same deal? I’d be worried that Machado might be a tad bit upset if Harper ended up getting more from the same team he just signed for. Hopefully Machado isn’t one to let something like that bother him.

that's the agent's responsibility , I'd hope he wouldnt misplace his blame that petulantly 

20 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Something in baseball is broken when the league is posting record revenues and only 1/2 teams are seriously interested in 26 year olds on a HoF trajectory.

Deadspin did a write-up on this the other day - it's not so much that teams are intentionally avoiding spending as much as there is a clash between spending relative to a player's WAR and raw profitability. They hit the point of diminishing returns really fast and they don't have an incentive to keep spending. It's not something that was deliberately planned, it's just kind of a thing that happened.

Edited by lostfan
typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Big market teams receiving a PR pass for treating it as a hard cap is mind blowing to me.

That seems to be coming to an end. Yankees fans are infuriated, and I don’t think cubs fans aren’t too happy either. Problem is it probably doesn’t effect the bottom line much if at all. 

Edited by mqr
Are > aren’t

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

That seems to be coming to an end. Yankees fans are infuriated, and I don’t think cubs fans aren’t too happy either. Problem is it probably doesn’t effect the bottom line much if at all. 

Well, if you're a Cubs' fan, it's pretty hard to get TOO upset about reaching the NLCS three years in a row and one World Series title.  Other than the Red Sox, no other team has done better this last decade...unless you're including the Astros as now being set up better for the next 2-3 years.

If you want to be upset with Cashman, be upset he blew his wad on Stanton when they had a similar slugger in Judge...same thing with Epstein, on the Heyward/Darvish/Chatwood moves.  (Or you could be upset with the Bryant/Morrow injuries OR Addison Russell, I guess, if that actually makes you feel any better.  Better yet, blame the manager for doing too many outside events and promotions!)

I mean c'mon, even if they aren't exactly dynasties, the Yankees are competing for a playoff spot each and every year.  I get it, the Yankees' fans expect them to be BETTER than the Red Sox and Boston has won the World Series 4 times in the same time frame the Yankees have ONLY won it once.

One of the MAIN reasons we're seeing compression on the salary front if the whole focus on advanced statistical metrics.  What used to look like a useful 32 year old slugger with strong HR and RBI numbers is a completely different animal in today's game.  That said, versatile players are being rewarded, relievers are being rewarded...and even some dudes like Jed Lowrie are getting pretty decent money in the twilight of their careers.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-one-baseball-exec-believes-011743556.html

Vinnie Duber of NBC Sports writing a full column in reaction to Michael Duarte's extremely ambiguous quote from yesterday.

A rival MLB executive believes Manny Machado is heavily leaning towards accepting the offer from the Chicago White Sox. Deal could be announced this week or could still fall through.

This is just getting comical.

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-bryce-harper-manny-machado-gets-10-year-deals-depends-ask-005226939.html

But now there’s this: They’re making it clear they won’t sign Machado and Harper.

That’s from The Athletic’s Matt Gelb, who dug into the Phillies’ ongoing dance with baseball’s two biggest free agents. He says the Phils prefer Machado and they’re confident they’ll get one of them, but they’re not trying to get both. Gelb writes:

The Phillies are believed to prefer Machado over Harper because he is an elite hitter and defender, but conflicting information has spread from team to team and agent to agent. That, of course, is by design. The Phillies do not benefit from broadcasting their preference. League sources insisted the Phillies have made this much clear during negotiations: They will not sign both players.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-one-baseball-exec-believes-011743556.html

Vinnie Duber of NBC Sports writing a full column in reaction to Michael Duarte's extremely ambiguous quote from yesterday.

A rival MLB executive believes Manny Machado is heavily leaning towards accepting the offer from the Chicago White Sox. Deal could be announced this week or could still fall through.

This is just getting comical.

Did a writer with that last name seriously say that? At least he's covered all his bases. 

10 hours ago
GEEEZZZ Man! I don't know. At 50 shootings a week will Chicago last another 8 years?

Yet another good reason not to sign with Chicago, lol.  Actually, quite a few Phils' fans seem scared to death of another long-term contract after how Ryan Howard's career ended so ignominiously.
Edited by caulfield12

I understand that each side is using the media as a mouthpiece in the negotiations. But the thing that I don’t understand is why the Nightengale reports keep coming out about the offer being so low. Why would we want other clubs believing that Machado’s number currently sits below $200M? All that does in my eyes is invite other teams to the table which seems like the opposite of what the Sox should want. 

4 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

The penalties for going over the luxury tax (even repeatedly!) are not that severe. Big market teams receiving a PR pass for treating it as a hard cap is mind blowing to me. But I'm glad that it could very well lead to the Sox signing one of Machado or Harper.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

They are severe enough to keep the highest payroll teams out of the competition for two of the best players in the game.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Jayson Stark is tweeting that what he and Ken Rosenthal have heard consistently this week is that the Harper / Machado derby could drift into February before being resolved.

I really don’t get this. With all of the talk of “he should be signed next week” and the amount of teams involved, why would it take even longer when position players report almost a month from now?

The amount of disinformation, planted tweets, and speculation is dizzying.  I understand that Harper and Machado are two of the biggest free agents ever (and at the same time), but something's got to give soon.  It really sounds like there are only two serious suitors for Machado and maybe three for Harper, with the Sox being in on both.

Hearing that this may drag into February is very frustrating.  I hope that isn't true, but I'm beginning to think it might be.  I would think these teams want to get these deals done so that they can move on to other deals and start getting their team set.  I'm certain the Sox want to make another move or two, especially if they sign one of these guys.  The entire free agent market is at a virtual standstill with these guys not signed.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres