Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

31 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Does the Phillies shift to Harper mean he sorta picked us to try to finalize with?

One can hope.  Regardless, I'm sure there are loads of negotiations happening right now that we're not aware of.  Hopefully the Sox are working on finalizing a deal with Machado, but I just have a bad feeling this is going to stretch out for another couple weeks.

28 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Does the Phillies shift to Harper mean he sorta picked us to try to finalize with?

I guess Machado could have told the Phillies he prefers Chicago to them, but that would hurt his negotiating leverage with the Sox. The Phillies could have changed direction intentionally to focus more on Harper, but that could also be a tactic to try and put more pressure on Machado to make a decision. At this point I don’t think anyone really truely knows what’s going on other than the players, the agents, and the front offices. This is all just so tiring to try and figure out. The negotiations are like a Mexican standoff where nobody wants to give in. Patience literally is a fucking virtue.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

The amount of disinformation, planted tweets, and speculation is dizzying.  I understand that Harper and Machado are two of the biggest free agents ever (and at the same time), but something's got to give soon.  It really sounds like there are only two serious suitors for Machado and maybe three for Harper, with the Sox being in on both.

Hearing that this may drag into February is very frustrating.  I hope that isn't true, but I'm beginning to think it might be.  I would think these teams want to get these deals done so that they can move on to other deals and start getting their team set.  I'm certain the Sox want to make another move or two, especially if they sign one of these guys.  The entire free agent market is at a virtual standstill with these guys not signed.

I still think something happens sooner rather than later with Machado.  Waiting forever isn’t a viable strategy for both given the limited number of suitors and Manny has more to lose IMO if the Sox or Phillies exited his market.

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I guess Machado could have told the Phillies he prefers Chicago to them, but that would hurt his negotiating leverage with the Sox. The Phillies could have changed direction intentionally to focus more on Harper, but that could also be a tactic to try and put more pressure on Machado to make a decision. At this point I don’t think anyone really truely knows what’s going on other than the players, the agents, and the front offices. This is all just so tiring to try and figure out. The negotiations are like a Mexican standoff where nobody wants to give in. Patience literally is a fucking virtue.

Yeah doesn't make sense to hurt his leverage.

Weren’t there multiple FA signings that went into February last year?  (JD Martizez et al?) 

Caused Boras to go on his rant about tanking teams being bad for baseball and the free agent market...he’s gonna play his games with these GMs and Harper is the perfect hand to play his cards with.  Especially since the GMs in the running are coming off tanks/rebuilds.  

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I really don’t get this. With all of the talk of “he should be signed next week” and the amount of teams involved, why would it take even longer when position players report almost a month from now?

Because they aren't happy with the ifferscand are waiting for one of the GMs to blink.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think something happens sooner rather than later with Machado.  Waiting forever isn’t a viable strategy for both given the limited number of suitors and Manny has more to lose IMO if the Sox or Phillies exited his market.

But aren’t a lot more Machado suitors likely if the bidding is in the $250 million range rather than the $325-350 for Harper?

Who else can afford Harper, realistically?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

But aren’t a lot more Machado suitors likely if the bidding is in the $250 million range rather than the $325-350 for Harper?

I think the only reason Machado's supposed $250 million offer looks "small" is because it's apparently for only 7-8 years.  Add the 2-3 additional years in on that like Harper's 10-year and you're well over $300 million as well...and that's what boxes the other teams out--the average yearly cost to acquire him.  

2 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I think the only reason Machado's supposed $250 million offer looks "small" is because it's apparently for only 7-8 years.  Add the 2-3 additional years in on that like Harper's 10-year and you're well over $300 million as well...and that's what boxes the other teams out--the average yearly cost to acquire him.  

In other words, a Boras client would never sign for fewer total years if more were available?

And yet the common assumption is Harper will be the first one who needs to change positions...Harper to 1B, where his value is nearly bat only.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because I think it’s much easier to convince an owner to go over budget & make a big splash on a mega-star like Bryce than it is for a guy with Manny’s baggage.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because I think it’s much easier to convince an owner to go over budget & make a big splash on a mega-star like Bryce than it is for a guy with Manny’s baggage.

Also, Harper is the most popular player in baseball and is a ratings and attendance machine.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And yet the White Sox seem to have drilled down on the “value” contract from the very beginning...the real question is what teams other than the Sox and Phillies can actually afford to pay Harper what he believes he’s worth (especially if the White Sox drop out of negotiations)?

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Also, Harper is the most popular player in baseball and is a ratings and attendance machine.

Exactly, he isn’t just a baseball move and Boras is trying to sell owners on the intangibles Harper brings to the table & how he can potentially transform a franchise.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres