Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And yet the White Sox seem to have drilled down on the “value” contract from the very beginning...the real question is what teams other than the Sox and Phillies can actually afford to pay Harper what he believes he’s worth (especially if the White Sox drop out of negotiations)?

I don’t know and maybe there is no one, but I still think it’s far more likely a mystery team jumps in the mix for Harper vs. Machado.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know and maybe there is no one, but I still think it’s far more likely a mystery team jumps in the mix for Harper vs. Machado.

Theres so many teams that should be in on this that's it's ridiculous there isn't. These guys make sense on rebuilding teams even. Maybe ones not at the start. For example, who's playing 3B for the Rangers next year?

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Theres so many teams that should be in on this that's it's ridiculous there isn't. These guys make sense on rebuilding teams even. Maybe ones not at the start. For example, who's playing 3B for the Rangers next year?

Well, maybe if they hadn’t gone through the whole A-Rod Experience...according to one chart, Patrick Wisdom or Kiner-Falefa.

This new thread title is a jinx, lol.

Groundhog Day, Groundhog’s Day...Deja Vu Day, must have correct grammar or he signs elsewhere.

And Sonny & Cher hit song allusions don’t help.

Maybe we can remind Machado of this:  Bought to you by the same wonderful fans who snowballed Santa Claus...and threw snowballs loaded with AA batteries, and who egged the opposing teams’ buses when they arrived at their stadium...and were so classy they had a judge on duty at the old Veteran Stadium complete with holding cells....and....

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

...Manny has more to lose IMO if the Sox or Phillies exited his market.

I don't agree with that. Manny could still sign with the other team (or a mystery team if there is one). He also take a crazy risk like signing 1 year/$40 mil with the Yankees and hitting the market again next year. Those might not be good options, but they are options. The Sox *need* Machado. He's the best fit for the team, and outside of Harper, there are no available players who would provide any similar impact. And this is the Sox' only chance. They don't get another shot to sign a Machado next year. I think the Sox have way more to lose in this standoff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

I don't agree with that. Manny could still sign with the other team (or a mystery team if there is one). He also take a crazy risk like signing 1 year/$40 mil with the Yankees and hitting the market again next year. Those might not be good options, but they are options. The Sox *need* Machado. He's the best fit for the team, and outside of Harper, there are no available players who would provide any similar impact. And this is the Sox' only chance. They don't get another shot to sign a Machado next year. I think the Sox have way more to lose in this standoff.

Totally agree. I truly hope that the Sox aren't being used to drive up other bids in this process. Machado accelerates this rebuild in a way that no one else really can. 

21 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I realize he doesn't have a "source" but the Harper trip explanation makes some sense. The Phillies glowing review of the meeting with Harper was a very stupid play with Boras on the other side of the table. If it were true, then Boras would see the opening to ask for anything he wanted. But the second part makes no sense because either the Phillies have the best offer or they don't. And if the Machado team is building up the Sox offer, then the Phillies didn't submit a better offer.

Leaving that aside, if there is any truth to the information, it's all bad for Harper who seems to be on the back burner for both teams. I'm very curious to know how that Phillies meeting actually went.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't see anyone responding to this so I might as well.

What the White Sox should not do is bid against themselves. If there's no one else in the bidding, then they have to put together a good enough bid to win, they don't have to win by $75 million - that is money that could be used elsewhere. So, there's benefit to being frugal to a point, and that point is where it's a threat to lose the player.

The White Sox shouldn't just say "day 1 here's our $210 million deal will you sign", "day 2 here's $220 will you sign", "day 3 here's $230 will you sign". What they have to do is put an offer on the table that is good enough to stay in the game and then they have to wait on Machado's side to give them a reasonable offer that Machado will sign. 

As long as you don't lose the player, minimizing the amount you pay beyond the other teams is to your advantage, and that's why the process is drawing itself out. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. It sounds optimal, but it also assumes certainty on the bolded. Because there is a threat that the player decides against going with best long term deal for optimal short term deal with right team. A 30 year old  catcher just reportedly turned down 5 for 60 in order to sign 1 for 18. 

Now 40 million is not 160 million, but considering the age and same injury risk, it is a gap great enough to say it was crazy not to accept the highest total dollar amount.

I'd prioritize getting manny over getting manny at the optimal price. 7 for 210 would be fantastic, but 7 for 240 would not cause considerably more stress to payroll. At some point it does, but why would philly go with a first offer of 350 mill to bryce harper? There is a benefit to setting the level that is clearly higher, and not just on the precipice of acceptably highest bid.

Now, the separate part of this the wisdom of continuously signing 5-6 contracts every year that everyone says "Well, couldn't hurt" for players that mainly serve as "more likely not to be terrible" than "likely to be good". 

For 41 or 42 million we acquired alonso, jay, herrerra, colome, and nova. This is incredibly dragged down by just how influential the signings/acqs of alonso and jay are to machado, but if it turns out they were not and it was a gamble to save money off the back that didn't pay off, I would call that the most hahn offseason class ever. A bunch of individually acceptable contracts that grouped as a whole are somehow worse than the sum of its parts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

I’m a little concerned, if Manny really wanted to sign with the Sox, he would have already. 

Manny is working out in the morning and spending the rest of his day playing Xbox and waiting for a call from his agent to tell him it’s time to make a decision because he feels like the best offers are out. He’s not personally driving this part of the process. 

There was even some quote about it when he came here to NY. Some reporter asked something like “when do you think you’ll make a decision?” And his reply was something like “that’s for my agent to decide. I’m just enjoying the ride.”

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres