Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think the whole process boils down to this......no team has given either player an offer that they feel is fair and the agents are sitting around hoping some GM/owner gets desperate and stupid as spring training draws near.

That was kind of what happened last year with Martinez but he ended up with a $110M deal and earned it but history did not dictate he'd put up career highs in WAR and OPS at age 30 but maybe his move to DH was actually good for him.....and hitting behind Betts.....

Sadly if this has not ended by now I think it goes until mid-February and somebody cracks and drops a large offer then the Sox will need to decide a course of action. 

Totally agree

30 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think the whole process boils down to this......no team has given either player an offer that they feel is fair and the agents are sitting around hoping some GM/owner gets desperate and stupid as spring training draws near.

That was kind of what happened last year with Martinez but he ended up with a $110M deal and earned it but history did not dictate he'd put up career highs in WAR and OPS at age 30 but maybe his move to DH was actually good for him.....and hitting behind Betts.....

Sadly if this has not ended by now I think it goes until mid-February and somebody cracks and drops a large offer then the Sox will need to decide a course of action. 

Wasn't Boras seeking $200M? In my experience, waiting will result in a better deal for a team. The players aren't going into the spring without a contract because the risk of injury starts to become real. They can't just sit around. Uncertainty will start to weigh on an individual more than a team.

The market simply isn't what the players wanted, and now they are aiming for "the best deal" and have no clue what that means. So far, the players aren't getting the teams they expected, and the offers are $50-$100M below what they hoped for. That has to be shocking.

Edited by G&T
  • Like 1

The Phillies and Nationals are the main two players for Harper. IF the Phillies miss out on Harper, seemingly they might be interested in upping or making an offer for Manny.  

The question is if the Phillies get Harper, would the Sox have the balls to lower their bid for Machado?  My feeling is likely no, especially since I think if it got any lower a new suitor would emerge or he'd take a short term deal with an unmentioned contender.   So, what is the rush for Manny to sign?  Things only seem to get better for him to wait until Harper signs with little downside risk.  

It is a unique situation this offseason because time usually plays a more important factor.  The White Sox have no other real business to conduct.  I'm sure they'd like to wrap this up but I don't think they are up on a hard deadline because of corresponding moves like most teams would be traditionally.    

Edited by GREEDY

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I’m starting to believe the reports that the offers are slightly below/right about $200 million. I have to think that if it were around 8-year, $280 million, this would be wrapped soon. $35 million over 8 years seems pretty good. Especially if a team throws in performance bonuses, that $300 million number would be very likely.

But at this point, I think teams are just starting to think of allocating that money else where (a team could probably get Kuechel AND Pollock for less than Machado).

It would be hard to believe that they are willing to give Manny's buddies 14 mil, but only go 25 for the man himself. 

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Alot of athletes have beautiful wives and they still creep on the side. 

I don't understand that. Weird to me. 

If you're going to do that don't settle down until after you're done playing. 

Mike Modano did that, and it looks like Patrick Kane is taking the same approach. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The Phillies and Nationals are the main two players for Harper. IF the Phillies miss out on Harper, seemingly they might be interested in upping or making an offer for Manny.  

The question is if the Phillies get Harper, would the Sox have the balls to lower their bid for Machado?  My feeling is likely no, especially since I think if it got any lower a new suitor would emerge or he'd take a short term deal with an unmentioned contender.   So, what is the rush for Manny to sign?  Things only seem to get better for him to wait until Harper signs with little downside risk.  

It is a unique situation this offseason because time usually plays a more important factor.  The White Sox have no other real business to conduct.  I'm sure they'd like to wrap this up but I don't think they are up on a hard deadline because of corresponding moves like most teams would be traditionally.    

And that is the impasse we are at right now. Manny could benefit from Harper signing with the Nationals, so he wants to wait him out, but Boras always wants to wait out the competition so he makes sure he gets the best offer. The Phillies seemingly want Harper more than Machado, but they probably won't up their offer because Boras will still wait and try to raise it again if they lose out on Machado, so it won't get to a level where Harper will sign first. 

Basically someone needs to get motivated to make a move otherwise this is just going to keep going until spring training. It might be time for JR to have another meeting with Harper to put pressure on the Phillies to make a move on who they want and for Machado to maybe worry about losing a bidder. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres