Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know the jury is still out on this guy but if he’s legit than the Sox must have a strong offer.

I think the Sox have a strong and fair offer that is 10's of millions below what both agents want.  These mystery teams will check in and check right out.

The hope is that some team will get anxious or be able to move enough money to open a spot,

Teams will jump in at $180-$200M but teams looking to spend to $250M+ are not coming out of thin air but the agents and players are hoping for this to happen.

This era of GM's not giving 35+ year players $35M/per is new but these two agents/players are hoping for a break in the sensible actions.  The old baseball Hawkeroo GM is not employed any longer and the agents are now realizing it.

The NBA is star driven, the NFL is QB/pass rush driven....in the MLB you start 1 of 5 games, bat 4 times a game or pitch 1 inning every other day so your impact is rather diluted and the Ivy league guys have figured this out while the baseball guys used to just spend and spend to fill spots.  

These guys are worth $35M a year but not for more then 8 years and that is the cold reality. 

14 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The Phillies and Nationals are the main two players for Harper. IF the Phillies miss out on Harper, seemingly they might be interested in upping or making an offer for Manny.  

The Nationals are NOT and were NEVER "in" on Harper. It isn't happening. They can be considered as "in" on harper as the Kansas city Royals are. DONE.

Buster is clearly putting out bullshit here as well.

But you guys will continue to theorize all possibilities in an endless attempt at torturing yourselves in this thread. 

For reference, that AAV may very well be what Arenado gets in arbitration or settlement for his age 28 season while under team control. If I'm manny i'm not jumping that anytime soon, to be obvious.

Anyway, as I've said, sox shouldn't hold their primary objective as getting manny at the intersection of his market price, they should hold their primary objective of acquiring manny machado long term to be the staple of a rebuild of young players that is hopefully good for many years.

And I think ultimately they do and this is "the official offer on the table" even though negotiations have it at a different amount.

3 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I never understood the point of these guys getting married when the temptation is so high? Derek Jeter seamed to really understand it. 

It's called wanting your cake and eating it too. Want the stability and the all the positives of marriage, but still want to have fun at their disposal.

Back to the important leaked news of the day though. $175mm of 7 years would be absolutely hysterical if true. If we got him for that I'd stalk Hahn's house and give him a big fat kiss... that'd be the easiest contract ever to absorb. Wouldn't even shock me if somewhat true... that's JR for you. He's about as tight pocketed as it comes.

I can't wait until we finally put together our perfect team and then MLB goes on strike... if Manny signs for 7/175... yikes... player union is going to go even crazier.

Don't forget who JR Is... he's the guy who is very pro-owner and won't budge worth shit. He's all about lining his pockets.. greedy people don't change at age 83. he's going to line his pockets til the day he hits his grave. He's not about winning.. he's about winning money.

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely hilarious?  Tomorrow Jon Heyman will be reporting the Sox offer is actually 7 years, $160 million.  This is the Sox front office making a point to Lozano/Manny.  You guys think you're worth $325 mil???  Watch us throw out these low ball numbers and still have no other teams jump in.  They are trying to humble Lozano and make him face reality.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres