Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

It wasn't until the new luxury tax that payroll became correlated with victories in MLB. This can be caused by more things than the luxury tax, but I think there's something to the idea that when there was no real ceiling on spending, the big spenders would inevitably end up handicapping themselves by overspending. Think about where the Yankees and Red Sox have been in the not so distant past with a ton of dead weight contracts. A harsher luxury tax imposes more discipline on their spending while having the perverse effect of making only the super-rich teams capable of handling the expenses that come with going over the threshold.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

raBBit, are you suggesting Machado prefers Philly over us?

No. At least I don't know that to be the case. It's just they were reportedly making an offer last weekend and the Sox offer has shrunk since then. What gives?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love when Sox fans are outraged the Yankees just don’t get all the good, young free agents.

We're conditioned to think that the Yankees getting all of the good, young FA is how baseball has always worked and will continue to work under the current economic system. 

If the Sox offer is indeed 7/175, it is a complete joke and I won't blame Machado or Harper for signing elsewhere. They deserve to get vegetables thrown at them during SoxFest. 

Put Hahn in witness protection now. They have just alienated what is left of their fanbase. I've never even considered switching teams until now. This is a joke I despise the Cubs but I cannot take the White Sox seriously if there is any truth to this. I have zero expectations of winning until ownership changes. Reinsdorf has now Bill Wirtzed himself. I'm going to go enjoy another team until Reinsdorf passes and new ownership takes over. Did it with the Hawks, won't hesitate to do it again. I'll still keep myself informed about the Sox, like I did with the Hawks, but this is bullshit and JR deserves the Wirtz treatment if true. 

I don't want to believe that this report is true, but I'm making contingency plans in case it is true. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, raBBit said:

No. At least I don't know that to be the case. It's just they were reportedly making an offer last weekend and the Sox offer has shrunk since then. What gives?

I think it’s damage control from their 8/$250M offer (or whatever it really is) getting out.  Sox really seem to be using their sources to play up the “Jerry is cheap” angle and making it look we’re not a serious threat IMO.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We're conditioned to think that the Yankees getting all of the good, young FA is how baseball has always worked and will continue to work under the current economic system. 

And guess what?  We finally have a good thing in the luxury tax that is creating some level of parity.  The problem is there is no salary floor and too many teams are rebuilding (and going cheap as a result).  The best solution is put in place a  floor and bump up arbitration a year or two earlier depending on when a player is called up.

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I just dont understand how nothing has leaked about Phillys offer. How come so much is coming out about the White Sox but not even a ball park estimate of what Philly offered

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox offer is indeed 7/175, it is a complete joke and I won't blame Machado or Harper for signing elsewhere. They deserve to get vegetables thrown at them during SoxFest. 

Put Hahn in witness protection now. They have just alienated what is left of their fanbase. I've never even considered switching teams until now. This is a joke I despise the Cubs but I cannot take the White Sox seriously if there is any truth to this. I have zero expectations of winning until ownership changes. Reinsdorf has now Bill Wirtzed himself. 

As I said, if you're a Bulls fan you already know the atrophy, stagnation and absolute clown show operation that is that JR owned club.  Why would it surprise anybody if the Sox fucked this up knowing who the owner is?  Hahn hasn't shown jack shit in FA.  

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I just dont understand how nothing has leaked about Phillys offer. How come so much is coming out about the White Sox but not even a ball park estimate of what Philly offered

Because the Sox currently have the best offer on the table and Machado’s camp is trying to get the Phillies to nut up.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As I said, if you're a Bulls fan you already know the atrophy, stagnation and absolute clown show operation that is that JR owned club.  Why would it surprise anybody if the Sox fucked this up knowing who the owner is?  Hahn hasn't shown jack shit in FA.  

Dude the Bulls have turned me off from the NBA. I can't enjoy it if the Bulls aren't at least decent. The Incompetence at the Berto Center is the only reason why this scenario is actually plausible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Welp I came back to over 200 new messages from the last page I was on, looks like it’s being falsely reported the whitesox low offer reports from the media, am I correct in that assumption? 

Olney and Nighty reported SOX offer is 7 year 175 million.  Chaos ensued.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

At least one thing is true currently...Boras and Lozano are shitting bricks right now.

Meh.  They are probably gathering material and making plans for the 2021 strike.  Both have plenty of nest egg to fall back on.  The low end union guys like Engel and such are the guys that should be shitting bricks.  Hopefully they have planned for 2021 and possibly losing an entire year of paychecks.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres