Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

20 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Completely unnecessary insult. Don’t do it again. 

homeboy said he rolled his eyes so hard he went blind.  what am I jesus?  turn the other cheek?  anyways self imposed ban coming for me.  cya guys on the other side.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

This 7/175 offer leak might just be agent BS in an attempt to get other teams interested in bidding. I have to imagine the Sox would go much higher

Possibly, but if there's truth to the 8/250 offer -- and I believe there is -- then any new inquiring team will quickly learn that they need to offer 250+ to get in the game (and will probably then decline).  So Lozano leaking the 7/175 doesn't really help him reel in more teams.  Someone mentioned that this might be Lozano trying to manage expectations, assuming the 8/250 is still on the table and that's around what Manny signs for.  That helps Lozano save face a bit.  I could definitely see that being what's happening.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If the White Sox are so eager to let the world know about their low offer, it’s already paying off for them /s

Another idiot tweeter who doesn't understand negotiations.What about the other teams that we don't even see an offer from ? If it's ludicrously low show me a better one. Whatever happened to the days when as fans we couldn't relate to these monstrously high salaries that now we call $175M "ludicously low" ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If the White Sox are so eager to let the world know about their low offer, it’s already paying off for them /s

They mention the A-Rod contract.  Honestly, that was too high then and it's probably too high now.  There is stupid money in baseball right now.  I don't care what anyone things anyone deserves, you get what the market wants to pay.

• Like 1

I do think the White Sox offer is probably greater than this but I wonder if a leak like this makes the negotiations go south on some level. Pretty much everybody in baseball is currently shaming the White Sox for being cheap. This would piss me off if I was an owner. 

I've said this before, and it's probably a good reminder: stop worrying about specifics of the contract. The only way you know if your are in a deal is if the other side keeps working on the deal. At this point, the only message we really have is that the Sox are still in it.

My personal opinion is that the offer and strategy are terrible in an open market. I said when the initial offer was made that it had to be good enough to stand up to any other offer that would come in next. Some parameters had to be met, which I believed to be salary. There is a risk of insulting someone by coming in so low when they have high expectations. This indicates to me that they knew the market would not be open, and competition would be low even with the Yankees involved. That seems...oddly prescient.

The Sox strategy now is: we will meet any offer, but unless you show me someone willing to top this deal, we're not budging. SI can complain about it being low, but so far it looks like the high bid.

2 minutes ago, kwill said:

I do think the White Sox offer is probably greater than this but I wonder if a leak like this makes the negotiations go south on some level. Pretty much everybody in baseball is currently shaming the White Sox for being cheap. This would piss me off if I was an owner. 

They're shaming the whole damn league for being cheap

1 minute ago, kwill said:

Let them shame us.  The only opinions are that of the Sox and Machado camp.  As long things are good between them it doesn't really matter what everyone else around the league thinks.  

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

I really love the point badger made about Lozano saving face by pointing to how he got a team to raise their offer from 175 to 250, for example.  And yes, I trust Hector Gomez above these other guys.

Ha, missed this. A believable angle. 

More ESPN east coast bias bullshit. Nothing new. Maybe I'm reaching here but this is about more than the rumored White Sox offer, the majority of the media just doesn't want Machado signing with the Sox. Not trying to play the role of the victim here because I could personally care less what others think of my favorite team, but according to what I've read its obvious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

The Sox strategy now is: we will meet any offer, but unless you show me someone willing to top this deal, we're not budging. SI can complain about it being low, but so far it looks like the high bid.

You are going with the opinion that the sox will have a right to match.  If this is the offer someone can come in an get a deal done quickly.  That's the risk with this.  You might not get a chance to match and its over.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

They're shaming the whole damn league for being cheap

It's not being cheap, it's not paying any higher than market value, and market value is set by the highest offer. It's the responsible way to act. As much as we'd like to throw 300+ million at both players to sign them right now it doesn't matter if they sign now or right before spring training or even before the first game. This is franchise-altering money and it makes sense that teams are taking their time.

That said if we don't sign Machado or Harper it's going to be a bloodbath and I will have no sympathy for the White Sox.

Edited by almagest

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Even if it's true it's the best offer out there. Why is it criminally low as some have said if no one has beat it so far ?

Absolutely. If that was the best offer, then he's right in the ballpark of signing with the Yankees (for potentially a little less). It's not. It sounds too low to have been the Sox opening offer, too.

We know that barring collusion, the Sox don't know what other teams have offered or will offer. Everybody coming in to this offseason thought Manny would get upwards of $300 million. The Sox had no way to know that the market would have collapsed this hard for Machado, and if they made an absurdly low offer, they risk having the agent not return their calls. I hope we get specifics once this ordeal is done, but I don't think there's any way the Sox went in at $175 mil with the intention to raise their bid by over $125 million to where the bidding was expected to be.

Media in 2018: Red Sox master negotiators in timid market, made a great deal for JD Martinez and acquired him cheap. Smart business!

Media in 2019: Absolutely disgusting franchise called the Chicago White Sox, second team in the second city, make ludicrously low offer to Manny. There needs to be a strike. Yankees please make an offer so he doesn't go to such gross unmarketable team.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Like others have said, this isn’t being cheap if it’s the best offer.

When we went to sell our old house, one of our neighbor’s sisters came to us before hitting the market and offered $50K less than we were going to ask for. We went to market, we’re offered $10K over asking price, called her back to see if she was still interested, and she said no.

Hahn is the sister. No harm trying to save some money, certainly when there’s nothing better out there. But if the big offer does come for Manny like it did for us, Hahn better stop acting like the sister and get it done.

There are organizations that can sit back and let the market dictate and then decide to top it, but I don't think the white sox are one of those organizations.

But, I actually don't think they are operating that way.

Let me get this straight...

Passan reports 8 years, Gomez reports $250M. Both are reputable and Passan is a top reporter.

Everyone dismisses it.

Olney, who laughed at the Sox signing either one, says 7/$175M and everyone takes it as gospel and writes think pieces about why the Sox are bad. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH7APvaJCkzCUgBTwQKQb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres