Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Quin said:

Let me get this straight...

Passan reports 8 years, Gomez reports $250M. Both are reputable and Passan is a top reporter.

Everyone dismisses it.

Olney, who laughed at the Sox signing either one, says 7/$175M and everyone takes it as gospel and writes think pieces about why the Sox are bad. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH7APvaJCkzCUgBTwQKQb

Here's the thing, there was a clear white sox org push yesterday to put out the "the offer is ONLY 7 years". That is the only leak that I would say with certainty came from a specific place and that's the sox.

So this dovetails with that report, not passan's. That said, this goes back to I think dealing with language like "offered" and "official offer" and discussed, as I think people are playing around with semantics to the reporters to be cute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Who is they?  The White Sox?  

They're clearly setting the basement and will negotiate.

But if they actually did offer $175 million, which seems absurdly low, they risk pissing off Machado's camp and not even getting a response, let along being given the chance to beat higher bids. If the Sox really offered $175 million, would they really expect Lozano to come back at them asking them to beat an offer of $275 million? I'm no negotiator, but I wouldn't expect a reasonable party would want to increase their offer by 60%.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Given the way reporting has gone, we'll probably see one soon that says "Sox camp hasn't talked to Machado in 2 weeks" or "Sox having serious discussions with Moustakas".

This is so believable you made me laugh when I read it. Watch it be Nightengale to revive the Moustakas rumor with Levine shortly following up with the same shit.

21 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

The 7/175 leak was generated by Lozano. Has to be

If it's leaked by Lozano then that's the value of the Sox offer.  No one who has an offer of more than this would leak a lower value out to get teams interested.  That's absurd.  

I want 300 million dollars and I have an offer of 8/250.  

Let's leak out 175 million and see if we get any biters for 300.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I will say that if we hear in the media that the Sox are upping their offer, that will make me think they're close to signing him.

Completely agree, and that's why I thought Passan's report meant it was close 😥

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm fairly sure we do both

god i hope so. because i find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe the Sox only offered $175M and someone out there should be held responsible for posting these lies. 

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

They're shaming the whole damn league for being cheap

or maybe the White Sox are setting a new standard and starting a new trend to ensure that these crazy contracts stop getting so high. 

The prudent thing to do is to not freak out and wait until they sign. 

However, based on the info known I have my contingency plan in place.

All I can ask is that they have made a competitive offer. If it comes out they never did, I'm enjoying baseball elsewhere until JR is dead and gone or they win 85+ games. 

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

I really love the point badger made about Lozano saving face by pointing to how he got a team to raise their offer from 175 to 250, for example.  And yes, I trust Hector Gomez above these other guys.

Just to build on this.  It's been publicly known for a while now that the Sox had a formal 7 year offer on the table.  Didn't a national guy tweet this a week ago or so?  So the other GMs probably figured that there was an offer of around $200 mil (which too has been tweeted by some of the national guys).  And no one came over the top.  So would leaking that the offer was actually on the lower-than-expected side of $175 mil get other teams in?  I just don't think so.  I don't think the gap between the actual and what was expected is great enough that another GM would now come in, where they didn't before.

Which leads back to the managing of expectations.  It's possible that Lozano now accepts that the floated 8/250 (I too trust Hector Gomez here) is going to be the best offer, and he wants to get the 7/175 out there to create the biggest jump up to the actual contract amount as possible, so as to save face. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

That is just SUCH a bad take.

Now being able to look back on the deal the Rangers gave Alex, the $252 million dollar deal he signed (and opted out of in 2007) was a totally fair deal based on the production he provided. 

Too high now?!?! Go look at the production he put up from 2001-2007 (when he on the original $252 deal) and tell me if an average of $23 million per was "too high" for Alex Rodriguez.  

Yankees didn't sign Alex Rodriguez to that contract.  They signed him to a worse one.  

And based on the reluctance in the market, you think somehow a team would drop $370 million adjusted for inflation for A-Rod?

Okay Skip Bayless.

Edited by AustinIllini

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also will never happen. Clevelandcan't go that high and they 're a contender. Oakland, Pittsburgh and on and on can't touch that. Sox highest payroll so far is way under that figure.

Something is going to have to give, because this is clearly collusion by the owners to keep salaries down. That's not about Manny or Harper, it's about how each of this offseason and the one prior have gone. The players aren't going to accept their earnings being artificially capped just because a few teams are near the luxury tax threshold and don't want to go over. This is all of the issues baseball has tried to sweep under the rug for decades finally taking hold in a form where addressing them will be required.

7 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

But if they actually did offer $175 million, which seems absurdly low, they risk pissing off Machado's camp and not even getting a response, let along being given the chance to beat higher bids. If the Sox really offered $175 million, would they really expect Lozano to come back at them asking them to beat an offer of $275 million? I'm no negotiator, but I wouldn't expect a reasonable party would want to increase their offer by 60%.

Depends on the options built in, honestly.  

3 minutes ago, beautox said:

12.9 Millon

They need to resolve the pay issues in the minors before I ever care about millionaires and even the lower rung in the MLB getting more.  If you don't have a signing bonus you would need to work at McDonald's to get a raise.  That's a real cause to champion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

Something is going to have to give, because this is clearly collusion by the owners to keep salaries down. That's not about Manny or Harper, it's about how each of this offseason and the one prior have gone. The players aren't going to accept their earnings being artificially capped just because a few teams are near the luxury tax threshold and don't want to go over. This is all of the issues baseball has tried to sweep under the rug for decades finally taking hold in a form where addressing them will be required.

When you cap team payrolls you cap salaries. The only thing that would make this situation worse is a salary floor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Yankees didn't sign Alex Rodriguez to that contract.  They signed him to a worse one.  

And based on the reluctance in the market, you think somehow a team would drop $370 million adjusted for inflation for A-Rod?

Okay Skip Bayless.

Yeah easily.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

They need to resolve the pay issues in the minors before I ever care about millionaires and even the lower rung in the MLB getting more.  If you don't have a signing bonus you would need to work at McDonald's to get a raise.  That's a real cause to champion.

Bingo. Increase MILB salaries and increase the MLB league minimum.

Just now, almagest said:

When you cap team payrolls you cap salaries. The only thing that would make this situation worse is a salary floor.

Yup.  Recent developments have created a de facto salary cap.  No one wants to pay into any competitive balance tax.  This will undoubtedly hurt salaries.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

For anyone not following along on Twitter (lucky you), some Sox fans were tweeting and Hector Gomez about everything that keeps coming out regarding MM and he's still not backing down and defending his sources, FWIW. 

I believe Hector, this news is Lozano trying to get other teams involved. 

13 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You are going with the opinion that the sox will have a right to match.  If this is the offer someone can come in an get a deal done quickly.  That's the risk with this.  You might not get a chance to match and its over.  

No, I am of the opinion that the strategy, as we know it, is terrible. And then I made an assumption about their strategy, which is potentially predicated on knowledge about the market they probably should not have because I can't otherwise explain it.

I happen to agree with you.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres