Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Just to build on this.  It's been publicly known for a while now that the Sox had a formal 7 year offer on the table.  Didn't a national guy tweet this a week ago or so?  So the other GMs probably figured that there was an offer of around $200 mil (which too has been tweeted by some of the national guys).  And no one came over the top.  So would leaking that the offer was actually on the lower-than-expected side of $175 mil get other teams in?  I just don't think so.  I don't think the gap between the actual and what was expected is great enough that another GM would now come in, where they didn't before.

Which leads back to the managing of expectations.  It's possible that Lozano now accepts that the floated 8/250 (I too trust Hector Gomez here) is going to be the best offer, and he wants to get the 7/175 out there to create the biggest jump up to the actual contract amount as possible, so as to save face. 

To build on that, when did all this start?  Monday.  Very few leaks and info before then.  Since, chaos. 

This is the agent trying to get more money.  Reputable people heard "the end was near"this past weekend and then, bam, Monday happens.  I believe the Passan and Gomez tweets.  Agent tried to get more money, the Sox went nuts, and started leaking lower numbers to try and secure their current bid. 

Agent is now trying to save face.  That's my opinion and sticking with it.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Who mentioned the Yankees? You didn't. Once again, the article mentioned the Rangers $252 million dollar deal, which is what I'm referring to 

No one said anything about inflation either. You said it was too high then, and probably too high now.  You're moving the goalposts, which isn't shocking in this case, at all. 

Sit this one out Stephen A, like usual, you're in over your head. 

Stick to weak hockey takes

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

How would a floor make it worse?

Look at the NBA. You have marginal players making way too much money and lots of weird trade exemptions and salary matching and all sorts of messed up payroll situations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Allright, here is my no sauces take that I think many of you might like.

**NO SAUCES**

7/$175 may have be an original offer, but it is definitely not what is out there now. Lozano is a businessman and Machado is one of his star clients. If he wants to keep getting big name clients, he needs to show results. Machado is close to signing a MUCH bigger deal, but much less than the 10 year $350 etc. 

So what can Lozano do to make sure he looks good?

Let people know just how much he got people to increase offers. Lozano looks like a bad agent if he took a client worth $350 and only got him $275. But Lozano looks like a great agent if he can say "I took offers from $175 and got them up to $275."

So that is my no sauces take for the day. The offers are significantly higher, but Lozano is now trying to control expectations.

The more we see the hot takes and crazed reactions, I think there's something to be said for this post. 8/$250 looks a lot better than it did a couple days ago, eh?

Just now, hogan873 said:

On the off chance that the Sox could actually sign Machado for $25M a year, would they then still pursue Harper?

Without question, because it means the Phillies aren’t bidding much more for Harper.  Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen and Machado will eventually get an AAV in the $30M to $35M range.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

8 for $275 just makes too much sense. Very high AAV, and yet the Sox manage to stay under $300. Also, Lozano comes out looking great because he was able to get the offer raised by $100 million, even when not many teams were interested.

Yes, but you have those saying that if 7/$175 is the market then why pay him 8/$275. It seems like we are on a merry go round that just never stops and I want to get off!

Honestly...in my humble opinion, I believe the biggest issue right now is the media and the lack of credible reports.  It's tough to make a case for or against owners with no truths to base it on.  Reports coming out are nearly 100 million dollars apart in reported value--depending on the "source."  I'm sure the players union will have their seat at the table with some firepower when the 2 sides eventually meet for labor discussions, but most of what makes it to us fans is straight-up bad reporting.  People having to "tweet" to stay relevant.  Many of us bite and start attacking teams and blaming them of collusion--I don't think that's responsible either.  Owners backing off on their offers is a natural response to an agent trying to create a bidding war.  It's not collusion--it's simply not falling for the agent's tactics.   

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres