Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Without question, because it means the Phillies aren’t bidding much more for Harper.  Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen and Machado will eventually get an AAV in the $30M to $35M range.

Why do I feel like I read this exact post a while ago?  Is this thread turning into the matrix? Or maybe like one of those never-ending staircases?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saufley said:

BUT, what if it turns out to be true?

Then so be it. Things are beyond my control so no point in getting emotional over it.

Imho, JR didn't step up to the negotiating table to offer 8/175. Hahn could have done that. For all we know Hahn opened negotiations with that as a starting point and since then JR has taken over and now the 8/250 rumor surfaces. 

Not at all concerned.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let me get this straight...

Passan reports 8 years, Gomez reports $250M. Both are reputable and Passan is a top reporter.

Everyone dismisses it.

Olney, who laughed at the Sox signing either one, says 7/$175M and everyone takes it as gospel and writes think pieces about why the Sox are bad. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH7APvaJCkzCUgBTwQKQb

You can tell who has the bias of Reinsdorf=Scrooge McDuck by that. I don't want to believe it, but the best predictor of future results is past behavior, so I can't really fault them for that bias. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

Do you look at the NBA and say "yes this is good for the players, the fans, the team employees and the owners"?

Considering it's exploded in popularity the lest 5-8 years, I would say so they have a pretty good thing going.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

No one has mentioned yet the reason for this 175 rumor yet. I don’t think it’s coming from Lozano’s side.

I wouldn't have guessed so either but soxbadger has what i believe to be the most plausible motive for anyone to leak.

But it's just a weird leak that I have a hard time believing benefits anyone, maybe the phillies in that it just causes uncertainty.

edit: like maybe phillies float this, see the backlash, and go to manny and say "we would never waste your time with an offer as insulting as the white sox. Here's 8 for 250, we believe in you and don't try to just buy you off for discount by hiring your friends.:

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Then so be it. Things are beyond my control so no point in getting emotional over it.

Imho, JR didn't step up to the negotiating table to offer 8/175. Hahn could have done that. For all we know Hahn opened negotiations with that as a starting point and since then JR has taken over and now the 8/250 rumor surfaces. 

Not at all concerned.

I know. I just want it to all be done, as do many! Sitting through all this mess  is worse than going to buy a new car!

Just now, centerfieldsixers said:

so we have had a few people tweet news about the contract offer.

who is the 1 st one to break the news?

nightengale

Passan

olney

rosenthal

Gomez

Heyman

Morosi

White SoX Dave

I'm gonna guess Heyman, Gomez, or Passan

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

nightengale

Passan

olney

rosenthal

Gomez

Heyman

Morosi

White SoX Dave

Personally I hope they give it to merk.

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

nightengale

Passan

olney

rosenthal

Gomez

Heyman

Morosi

White SoX Dave

At least half of these guys haven't been more accurate than Dan Clark when it comes to Manny Machado. Which ones, we will find out in a day or a week or a month or two months.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Uh, yeah.

We really disagree then. That system is a joke and it's a big reason why we have like 2 teams that can realistically win, a ton of teams with midlevel players stuck in NBA hell and a fight for lotto picks. High level players are also severely suppressed in salary potential.

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I still don't get who benefits from this twitter game. The negotiating parties don't pay them any attention because I'm pretty sure 

they have Lozano's phone number. Is it just to whip up the fans into a frenzy?

If that's the goal, it's clearly working.

It's one of those things where in interviews they will say it doesn't matter but they play the game all the same.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

If I were him, I'd be annoyed to never get tossed *any* scoops. He is a mouthpiece for the organization. One would think that'd buy him some favor.

They gave him the Eaton trade! it was a big deal!

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres