Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

so we have had a few people tweet news about the contract offer.

who is the 1 st one to break the news?

nightengale

Passan

olney

rosenthal

Gomez

Heyman

Morosi

White SoX Dave

I'd absolutely give it to Dan Clark.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I still don't get who benefits from this twitter game. The negotiating parties don't pay them any attention because I'm pretty sure 

they have Lozano's phone number. Is it just to whip up the fans into a frenzy?

If that's the goal, it's clearly working.

Lozano might be holding out for best possible offer? Sox do not have to increase their bid when their are no other better offers on the table 

Eventually this damn thing needs to end though

1 minute ago, almagest said:

We really disagree then. That system is a joke and it's a big reason why we have like 2 teams that can realistically win, a ton of teams with midlevel players stuck in NBA hell and a fight for lotto picks. High level players are also severely suppressed in salary potential.

Most of that is just driven by the fact that nba is a different game that is hugely influenced by a small number of players. It still has the same ecosystem nba has of teams that behave rich, teams that behave smart, and outside of soxtalk.com, the nba is actually quite popular! It's the sport people actually talk about at work!

Sox fans are blowing up Hector Gomez so hard on twitter. In the last hour he's agreed to go on a podcast, he's thanked multiple sox fans for backing up his report, and just quote tweeted a soxon35th member. lmao

Edited by Kiebs13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

- It would make NO sense for Lozano to put 7/175 out there because, if anything, he wants any offers (imaginary, real, or otherwise) to look higher so he can up the bids from other teams

- It makes very little sense for the Sox to leak an offer THAT low since it sort of makes them look bad/cheap.

Which can only mean one thing: no one knows what the hell they're talking about.

#occamsrazor 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

More ESPN east coast bias bullshit. Nothing new. Maybe I'm reaching here but this is about more than the rumored White Sox offer, the majority of the media just doesn't want Machado signing with the Sox. Not trying to play the role of the victim here because I could personally care less what others think of my favorite team, but according to what I've read its obvious. 

I couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

We really disagree then. That system is a joke and it's a big reason why we have like 2 teams that can realistically win, a ton of teams with midlevel players stuck in NBA hell and a fight for lotto picks. High level players are also severely suppressed in salary potential.

The players accepted the idea of a max deal, which I'm sure owners don't want to do away with. The max deal is the problem in that case, not the floor.

If you want a model with a floor that works really well, look at the NFL.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Most of that is just driven by the fact that nba is a different game that is hugely influenced by a small number of players. It still has the same ecosystem nba has of teams that behave rich, teams that behave smart, and outside of soxtalk.com, the nba is actually quite popular! It's the sport people actually talk about at work!

I don't understand how the NBA is even remotely popular right now. Chalk wins 95% of the time. It is entirely predictable and you could hand out the Larry O'Brien trophy in November and most people wouldn't complain. I want to enjoy it again but I can't when 26 teams aren't even competitive. I used to love the NBA more than Baseball or Hockey. Not so, anymore. I grew up and realized how much it sucks. Most years the playoffs are basically a formality. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I’ll paint a picture for those who don’t get it:

I have a rock that I value at 2$

Three people approach me and ask how much it’s worth, I say it’s worth 2$.

One guy says hell no(Yankees) it’s a rock, I can go find another for cheaper.

One says I’ll give you 1.50$ (Sox)

Another says let me think about it. (Phillies)

Basically the rock is sitting until I get my 2$ and I can’t wait it out, unless no one ever comes forward and I’m stuck with the 1.50$ deal

thats the easiest I can sum it up lol. Don’t judge me 🤔🤕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't understand how the NBA is even remotely popular right now. Chalk wins 95% of the time. It is entirely predictable and you  could hand out the Larry O'Brien trophy in November and most people wouldn't complain. I want to enjoy it again but I can't when 26 teams aren't even competitive. 

Its crazy, but some people just like watching the game because it's fun and don't just watch because they only get enjoyment from wins.

For instance, you could talk to nba fans why they like it instead of just talking to baseball and hockey fans who mostly can just muster why nba sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

Sox fans are blowing up Hector Gomez so hard on twitter. In the last hour he's agreed to go on a podcast, he's thanked multiple sox fans for backing up his report, and just quote tweeted a soxon35th member. lmao

LMFAO that will change if Machado signs with a team not named the Chicago White Sox.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What’re the odds that the “Johnny Hustle” comments have really hurt Machado during this process?

I definitely think it hurt especially among weird teams that care about that like the cards.

2 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What’re the odds that the “Johnny Hustle” comments have really hurt Machado during this process?

It might have have cost him a few million bucks, but this potential problem is WAY more complicated than that

Just now, bmags said:

I definitely think it hurt especially among weird teams that care about that like the cards.

I think we are at the point where the Sox have made their best and final offer likely verbally known to Machado's camp. They are sitting on that offer and seeing if anyone else will join the bidding, knowing they have that offer in their back pocket. It is purely a waiting game right now.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Its crazy, but some people just like watching the game because it's fun and don't just watch because they only get enjoyment from wins.

For instance, you could talk to nba fans why they like it instead of just talking to baseball and hockey fans who mostly can just muster why nba sucks.

Yeah, but it is a far cry from the 90s and even early 2000s when the playoffs were actually competitive and entertaining at least. I also find teams just chucking 3 pointers boring, even if it is more efficient. It is kind of the same issue with baseball/HRs.  I can get into other parts of baseball where I can't in the NBA. There were years the Bulls were in danger of losing either in the Finals or before they even got there. Were the Warriors really ever in danger outside of the LeBron miracle game 7? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

This 7/175 offer leak might just be agent BS in an attempt to get other teams interested in bidding. I have to imagine the Sox would go much higher

This.  Teams see this, maybe they make a phone call.  If you get them to call you because someone is at $175, you probably get $200 out of them top of the offer.  For a bit more work, maybe you get them to $225 or $250.  It doesn't hurt for the agent to try to drum up a new line of conversation.

7 minutes ago, almagest said:

Part of the reason for the salary cap is to increase parity. Golden State is doing amazing not because they can spend more than anyone else but because they drafted good players for an innovative system. Any other team could have done that. And that fact that it could be any team helps to grow the sport, which in turn increases revenue which then increases players salaries because the cap and the floor grow proportionally to the league revenues. The superstars might not make as much in salary as they could if there were no cap, but the benefits of having the cap offsets (or more) the reduced salary because the increased popularity of the game gives those star players much better marketing opportunities. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres