Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, but it is a far cry from the 90s and even early 2000s when the playoffs were actually competitive and entertaining at least. I also find teams just chucking 3 pointers boring, even if it is more efficient. It is kind of the same issue with baseball/HRs.  I can get into other parts of baseball where I can't in the NBA. 

oh man yeah the glory days of lakers nets please take me back oh god back to the competitive days where only 2 teams won a championship in 8 years wonderful time love history.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Most of that is just driven by the fact that nba is a different game that is hugely influenced by a small number of players. It still has the same ecosystem nba has of teams that behave rich, teams that behave smart, and outside of soxtalk.com, the nba is actually quite popular! It's the sport people actually talk about at work!

The only people I talk basketball with we talk about the state of the league and the Bulls. Most people I talk to we talk about football.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Part of the reason for the salary cap is to increase parity. Golden State is doing amazing not because they can spend more than anyone else but because they drafted good players for an innovative system. Any other team could have done that. And that fact that it could be any team helps to grow the sport, which in turn increases revenue which then increases players salaries because the cap and the floor grow proportionally to the league revenues. The superstars might not make as much in salary as they could if there were no cap, but the benefits of having the cap offsets (or more) the reduced salary because the increased popularity of the game gives those star players much better marketing opportunities. 

Golden state won originally because they drafted good players for an innovative system.

Golden state wins now because Kevin Durant decided to take less money than he was worth to go collect a couple trophies since the league was too hard.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Teams see this, maybe they make a phone call.  If you get them to call you because someone is at $175, you probably get $200 out of them top of the offer.  For a bit more work, maybe you get them to $225 or $250.  It doesn't hurt for the agent to try to drum up a new line of conversation.

And what if the Sox have already offered $250 (either through a formal offer or informal conversation)?

29 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

At this point I'm just going to back away and wait for these guys to make a decision. I'm tired of freaking out over every new bit of info these "insiders" tweet out. It changes by the day and odds are that none of it is factual anyway. This process is so mentally exhausting.

It's fun . It's only exhausting if you let it be. No need to freak out. What will believing or not believing any if this do. Just accept it as part of the process. Once it's done you can either celebrate or be whatever mood the final decision leads you to.

It's all about your own personal perspective. Some here think Reinsdorf is cheap so supposedly low offers make them freak and confirm their bias  while failing to look at the big picture that there are agendas in practically every tweet we see. We can all rant and rave trying to figure those agendas out but age has taught me I'm not a player in this so I'll just wait it all out and hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think we are at the point where the Sox have made their best and final offer likely verbally known to Machado's camp. They are sitting on that offer and seeing if anyone else will join the bidding, knowing they have that offer in their back pocket. It is purely a waiting game right now.

Yeah basically we can hybrid two theories. One is hector gomez/passan where sox have actually verbalized a final winning offer letting machado's camp do what they can with it (8/250), but a literal offer of 7/175 which lozano decided to leak to then show he gained 75 million for his client in bidding.

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I think we are at the point where the Sox have made their best and final offer likely verbally known to Machado's camp. They are sitting on that offer and seeing if anyone else will join the bidding, knowing they have that offer in their back pocket. It is purely a waiting game right now.

What do you think that offer is?

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

That process will be a lot less stressful if we know we have Machado in the bag.

Possibly, depending on what Machado signs for.  Thome has been on MLBN multiple times in the last month and he threw a couple hints out about both. 

I don't think it happens, but whatever team lands Machado, the "both" dream will be alive and discussed at nausea.

Edited by Soxman72

So I know Im some random . I dont have breaking news, but maybe I can lend some insight on these negotiations.

Machado and Pujols share an agent. If you remember, Pujols was given a 10/240 at 24m AAV coming off his age 31 Season, unfortunately guys, thats the stickig point with JR and co. Lozano and Machado are frustrated with the comparison. Theres a 5 year age difference between Machado and Pujols with a different defensive skill set. With the lack of interested teams and realization that they wont hit their target AAV; Lozano leaked the 7/175 contract to  the media with the attempt to attract new suitors for Machado to hopefully drive the price up. However, theres simply not a robust market for Machado. Yankees would of been aggressive on Machado in the 20-23m AAV range more on a 3-5 year deal. Jerry and Co are just as frustrated with the leaks as we are. They are trying very hard, but negotiations with the WS have stalled, With Lozano pulling to find a mystery team or two to maximize his value.

JR and co. truly beleive that 25m AAV is a competitive offer. If the sox don’t get off the pujols comp as far as AAV goes,  we are either going to be outbid or we wont see a signing until Spring training from what I hear.

Atleast the on the positive side, theres not a team that values manny as a 30m+ players...

The Sox will not bid against themselves, thats where the frustration is coming from here.

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Part of the reason for the salary cap is to increase parity. Golden State is doing amazing not because they can spend more than anyone else but because they drafted good players for an innovative system. Any other team could have done that. And that fact that it could be any team helps to grow the sport, which in turn increases revenue which then increases players salaries because the cap and the floor grow proportionally to the league revenues. The superstars might not make as much in salary as they could if there were no cap, but the benefits of having the cap offsets (or more) the reduced salary because the increased popularity of the game gives those star players much better marketing opportunities. 

One reason NBA salary cap was installed was to prevent teams from paying way too much for rookies

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

oh man yeah the glory days of lakers nets please take me back oh god back to the competitive days where only 2 teams won a championship in 8 years wonderful time love history.

That may have happened, but the difference is just how much better GSW is and Miami was than their competition, outside of 2011.  The dominant teams were actually in danger of losing at times then. The Lakers in the early 2000s had to make a miracle shot in 0.4 secs and overcome a 20pt 4th quarter deficit in a game 7 just to GET to the Finals. The Bulls were in danger of losing at times during  their run as well. The only time GSW was ever in danger was that LeBron miracle game 7, and that OKC game 7. but even with Durant's last game in OKC, I wouldn't say it was anything like 20 points bad. They were down like 12 points with 7 mins to play and that is by no means considered a miracle comeback. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah basically we can hybrid two theories. One is hector gomez/passan where sox have actually verbalized a final winning offer letting machado's camp do what they can with it (8/250), but a literal offer of 7/175 which lozano decided to leak to then show he gained 75 million for his client in bidding.

Let piss off one of the final bidders who has the top offer of 250 million by making them look like shit and then I look like a hero.  This makes zero sense.  Most agents will leak on a position of strength, not omg they are all low balling us.  Look at my mad negotiation skills its now 250.  Within a week of Machado signing that would get leaked out that it was 250 for a while and that this was a bullshit plant.  Then the agent's reputation with other teams and players is shit.  

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That may have happened, but the difference is just how much better GSW is and Miami was than their competition, outside of 2011.  The dominant teams were actually in danger of losing at times The Lakers in the early 2000s had to have a miracle shot in 0.4 secs and overcome a 20pt 4th quarter deficit in a game 7 just to GET to the finals. The Bulls were in danger of losing at times during  their run as well. The only time GSW was ever in danger was that LeBron miracle game 7, and that OKC game, but even with Durant's last game in OKC, I wouldn't say it was anything like 20 points bad. They were down like 12 points with 7 mins to play and that is by no means considered a miracle comeback. 

The Golden State Warriors lost 2 years ago to the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Heat lost to the Mavs.

edit:
The rockets took GSW to a game 7 and it took a historically poor shooting night to lose

The OKC thunder took GSW to a game 7 

The 2000 lakers went like 16-1 in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Lazano wants $300 million plus, he isn't leaking the Sox offer is $175 million. It's coming from the other side in order to keep any prospective bids low, trying to get them to think the agent is BSing when he is saying that is nowhere near the best offer.

Exactly.  I think the leak is from the Phillies to Boras/Harper camp--see how cheap the White Sox are?  Stop holding out for Machado to sign with them and take our offer for Bryce now.  Annnddd...don't even think about Harper to the Sox because it won't be that much more than the crap they are offering Manny.  Save your time, have Harper sign with us now.  

4 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

So I know Im some random . I dont have breaking news, but maybe I can lend some insight on these negotiations.

Machado and Pujols share an agent. If you remember, Pujols was given a 10/240 at 24m AAV coming off his age 31 Season, unfortunately guys, thats the stickig point with JR and co. Lozano and Machado are frustrated with the comparison. Theres a 5 year age difference between Machado and Pujols with a different defensive skill set. With the lack of interested teams and realization that they wont hit their target AAV; Lozano leaked the 7/175 contract to  the media with the attempt to attract new suitors for Machado to hopefully drive the price up. However, theres simply not a robust market for Machado. Yankees would of been aggressive on Machado in the 20-23m AAV range more on a 3-5 year deal. Jerry and Co are just as frustrated with the leaks as we are. They are trying very hard, but negotiations with the WS have stalled, With Lozano pulling to find a mystery team or two to maximize his value.

JR and co. truly beleive that 25m AAV is a competitive offer. If the sox don’t get off the pujols comp as far as AAV goes,  we are either going to be outbid or we wont see a signing until Spring training from what I hear.

Atleast the on the positive side, theres not a team that values manny as a 30m+ players...

The Sox will not bid against themselves, thats where the frustration is coming from here.

Oh my lord if they think Machado is comparable to a 31 year old 1B Pujols they are fucking morons.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres