Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

So I know Im some random . I dont have breaking news, but maybe I can lend some insight on these negotiations.

Machado and Pujols share an agent. If you remember, Pujols was given a 10/240 at 24m AAV coming off his age 31 Season, unfortunately guys, thats the stickig point with JR and co. Lozano and Machado are frustrated with the comparison. Theres a 5 year age difference between Machado and Pujols with a different defensive skill set. With the lack of interested teams and realization that they wont hit their target AAV; Lozano leaked the 7/175 contract to  the media with the attempt to attract new suitors for Machado to hopefully drive the price up. However, theres simply not a robust market for Machado. Yankees would of been aggressive on Machado in the 20-23m AAV range more on a 3-5 year deal. Jerry and Co are just as frustrated with the leaks as we are. They are trying very hard, but negotiations with the WS have stalled, With Lozano pulling to find a mystery team or two to maximize his value.

JR and co. truly beleive that 25m AAV is a competitive offer. If the sox don’t get off the pujols comp as far as AAV goes,  we are either going to be outbid or we wont see a signing until Spring training from what I hear.

Atleast the on the positive side, theres not a team that values manny as a 30m+ players...

The Sox will not bid against themselves, thats where the frustration is coming from here.

Sorry, I'm not sympathetic to the white sox in this scenario.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

oh man yeah the glory days of lakers nets please take me back oh god back to the competitive days where only 2 teams won a championship in 8 years wonderful time love history.

This has always been the case in the NBA so it obviously hasn't been fixed by a cap or a floor or complicated trade rules and exemptions. We could be in the exact same spot right now with the same teams with no cap or floor and players would still be making as much money, or even more for top players.

Also if you want to be a dick in your replies go argue with someone else.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Let piss off one of the final bidders who has the top offer of 250 million by making them look like shit and then I look like a hero.  This makes zero sense.  Most agents will leak on a position of strength, not omg they are all low balling us.  Look at my mad negotiation skills its now 250.  Within a week of Machado signing that would get leaked out that it was 250 for a while and that this was a bullshit plant.  Then the agent's reputation with other teams and players is shit.  

Why would it piss off the Sox?

Lets say in a hypothetical world the White Sox are really close to getting this done. Lozano/Machado arent happy they arent getting $300mil, but the market has shown $250mil is as good as it gets. In order to save some face, Lozano asks the Sox if he can leak their initial offer.

Why would the Sox say no?

Sox fans arent going to be upset that they got Machado for $250. They are going to be over the moon happy. Other teams arent going to be upset, because the leak was factual.

The $175mil leak helps no one. It hurts the Sox because its so low that it theoretically it makes another team jump in. And there is no way Lozano would want anyone to know this. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Until the next inevitable strike, I'm not sure what Trout would even get on the free agent market.

True the top players cannot keep getting more and more and taking up a larger percentage of the payroll. That's why the lower tiered free agents keep getting less along with lower values assigned to 30 and over players. The payroll ceiling will have to be raised .

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Part of the reason for the salary cap is to increase parity. Golden State is doing amazing not because they can spend more than anyone else but because they drafted good players for an innovative system. Any other team could have done that. And that fact that it could be any team helps to grow the sport, which in turn increases revenue which then increases players salaries because the cap and the floor grow proportionally to the league revenues. The superstars might not make as much in salary as they could if there were no cap, but the benefits of having the cap offsets (or more) the reduced salary because the increased popularity of the game gives those star players much better marketing opportunities. 

The cap didn't help with parity when it comes to the Heat superteam, or the Celtics, or Durant and Boogie signing with Golden State. Also there's no parity in the NBA and there never has been come on.

21 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

The players accepted the idea of a max deal, which I'm sure owners don't want to do away with. The max deal is the problem in that case, not the floor.

If you want a model with a floor that works really well, look at the NFL.

So a salary cap doesn't put a cap on individual salaries?

22 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I’ll paint a picture for those who don’t get it:

I have a rock that I value at 2$

Three people approach me and ask how much it’s worth, I say it’s worth 2$.

One guy says hell no(Yankees) it’s a rock, I can go find another for cheaper.

One says I’ll give you 1.50$ (Sox)

Another says let me think about it. (Phillies)

Basically the rock is sitting until I get my 2$ and I can’t wait it out, unless no one ever comes forward and I’m stuck with the 1.50$ deal

thats the easiest I can sum it up lol. Don’t judge me 🤔🤕

And the $1.50 offer tries to convince the world ( and sidelined bidder ) that the offer is only $.75

Just now, Orlando said:

No one caught Passan on ESPN 1000?

He pretty much just said that arguing over 7/8 years is pointless right now because it is going to end up between 8 and 10 at a minimum of 30 AAV. All that matters right now is that the Sox definitely have a seat at the table and that can't be debated.

If the Sox are offering 175 then they could likely reel MM in for 250. Of course it is all crazy money. I hope they will take it further if this offer is accurate.

This thread will be released as Gone With the Wind II.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

He'd probably be making even more without a cap. And maybe he signs elsewhere if they can offer him more.

Sorry, my comment was snarky and not at you. Where I think NBA cap works is it effectively raised the salary for the median nba player. It did not help the superstar nba player. And, quite honestly in baseball I do think a salary cap would make the yankees even more dominant.

Baseball players would be better served imo to fight to cut team control to 4 years with a 5th year option tied to the average salary of the top 10 players in the position or something like that. Teams rightly don't want to pay for players as they decline, but that means they shouldn't get to underpay them when they are.

That would really hurt vets immediately but I fully believe middle tier players would do better after 2-3 years.

Just now, bmags said:

Sorry, my comment was snarky and not at you. Where I think NBA cap works is it effectively raised the salary for the median nba player. It did not help the superstar nba player. And, quite honestly in baseball I do think a salary cap would make the yankees even more dominant.

Baseball players would be better served imo to fight to cut team control to 4 years with a 5th year option tied to the average salary of the top 10 players in the position or something like that. Teams rightly don't want to pay for players as they decline, but that means they shouldn't get to underpay them when they are.

That would really hurt vets immediately but I fully believe middle tier players would do better after 2-3 years.

I think a good solution in terms of paying younger players is that they only get one year at league minimum, and go to arbitration immediately from years 2-6. 

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres