Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sorry, my comment was snarky and not at you. Where I think NBA cap works is it effectively raised the salary for the median nba player. It did not help the superstar nba player. And, quite honestly in baseball I do think a salary cap would make the yankees even more dominant.

Baseball players would be better served imo to fight to cut team control to 4 years with a 5th year option tied to the average salary of the top 10 players in the position or something like that. Teams rightly don't want to pay for players as they decline, but that means they shouldn't get to underpay them when they are.

That would really hurt vets immediately but I fully believe middle tier players would do better after 2-3 years.

For the NBA, it's not just the cap but the max contracts. What could Lebron get in an open market with no caps or max? $80 mil a year? $90 mil? But he can only get $40 or so, which means he's losing a great deal, but mediocre or bad players are gaining more. And I don't see how a cap would help he Yankees, other than their pocket books. I think a cap would be basically a more formal version of what we have had of late - teams would spend big for top talent, and it would essentially come down to what percentage of their finite payroll certain teams would be willing to give to a superstar player. But the current system is a disaster for the players. It is effectively a cap, but with none of the revenue-sharing increasing their salaries annually.

But I agree with the rest of the stuff you said.

Just now, IowaPG said:

Not True. KW is always involved in FA and international signings . May not be the lead negotiater, but normally always present and opinionated.

So if all this is true (I give posters the benefit of the doubt), the only way for the Sox to sign Manny is if the market total collapses and they're the last one standing at 25 mil?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

So if all this is true (I give posters the benefit of the doubt), the only way for the Sox to sign Manny is if the market total collapses and they're the last one standing at 25 mil?

Do you really think the Yankees would have left the table if the offer was really 7/175 though?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Anyone crying about the owners or "market price" need to read this. 

The system is BROKEN and we shouldn't be giving owners a pass.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/1/10/18176833/manny-machado-bryce-harper-free-agency-value

Tony, been saying this since last offseason. The MLBPA team reps should be huddling to discuss removing Tony Clark from his position as chief negotiator. They really got bent over on the last round of negotiations. There aren't enough likes for this post. If there's nothing stopping them from going on strike during the middle of a CBA to negotiate a better deal, they should consider not attending Spring Training this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

A tweeter's recap of Passan on Waddle & Silvy:

RT @kenkiebles13: @barstoolWSD @owemyself14 @MrDelicious13 @Soxsupporter1 @JeffPassan @soxmachine_josh @KenWo4LiFe He pretty much just said that arguing over 7/8 years is pointless right now because it is going to end up between 8 and 10 at a minimum of 30 AAV. All that matters right now is that the Sox definitely have a seat at the table and that can't be debated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Why would it piss off the Sox?

Lets say in a hypothetical world the White Sox are really close to getting this done. Lozano/Machado arent happy they arent getting $300mil, but the market has shown $250mil is as good as it gets. In order to save some face, Lozano asks the Sox if he can leak their initial offer.

Why would the Sox say no?

Sox fans arent going to be upset that they got Machado for $250. They are going to be over the moon happy. Other teams arent going to be upset, because the leak was factual.

The $175mil leak helps no one. It hurts the Sox because its so low that it theoretically it makes another team jump in. And there is no way Lozano would want anyone to know this. 

So these theoretical teams then have specific guidelines for jumping in but also specifics guidelines for not participating and those numbers are between $175 M and $250 M ?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I dont know that for fact. Id be putting my foot in my mouth if i said that. I just know as of right now, there is not another team willing to offer an AAV near his 32.5m expectations. The pujols comp is a sticking point to the frustration 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

A tweeter's recap of Passan on Waddle & Silvy:

RT @kenkiebles13: @barstoolWSD @owemyself14 @MrDelicious13 @Soxsupporter1 @JeffPassan @soxmachine_josh @KenWo4LiFe He pretty much just said that arguing over 7/8 years is pointless right now because it is going to end up between 8 and 10 at a minimum of 30 AAV. All that matters right now is that the Sox definitely have a seat at the table and that can't be debated.

Good to know were definitely months away

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And this was there plan going into this off season? The Sox FO can't even agree on Manny's value?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

Bucket (macsandz), rabbit, etc are legit and bucket only comes in from time to time on major topics (big trades in 2017 and Manny mania) but I have a hard time trusting a poster that swoops in 18 hours ago and starts posting like an insider.

THIS. plus gomez (who has a solid track record) and passan aren't coming off of 8yrs and gomez specifically 250mm. we need to chill out lol

1 minute ago, heirdog said:

Bucket (macsandz), rabbit, etc are legit and bucket only comes in from time to time on major topics (big trades in 2017 and Manny mania) but I have a hard time trusting a poster that swoops in 18 hours ago and starts posting like an insider.

I get it. take me with a grain of salt. Im not saying who will/will not sign manny, just giving you guys some insight

3 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

I dont know that for fact. Id be putting my foot in my mouth if i said that. I just know as of right now, there is not another team willing to offer an AAV near his 32.5m expectations. The pujols comp is a sticking point to the frustration 

This is probably why the White Sox as the favorite team of Iowans is down to about 5% of those surveyed...or maybe it’s the crappy radio signal now.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres